I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Balance points?
Posted by: Grant King (---.stcd.qwest.net)
Date: October 20, 2006 09:23AM

I am in the process of finally building a rod for myself. Its going to be a 6' L spinning rod. I would like to build it with a split grip and a skeleton fuji seat. My question is how do I decide on a spot for the seat? I can get a general idea but im wondering if theres an actual tip weight or length in front of the seat I should be shooting for. I have heard there is some personal prefferances on tip feel but Im looking for a place to start.

Second, how is an aluminum winding check fitted and glued on? Are smaller ones sanded in order to get them to fit or are larger checks built up with thread on the rod and then slipped over? Thanks for the help. G

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Balance points?
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: October 20, 2006 10:17AM

The realseat location is going to be based on how long of a rear grip you want. I would make sure to locate it so the rod feels good for you to use. Balancing is an issue all in itself. For myself, if the rod is going to be used for a technique where I am working a lure on the bottom, like a jig, I like to have the rod balance horizontal and the pivot point be at the reelseat or just in front of it. Now I try to put the rod together with the lightest guides I can and watch how much thread I use for the wraps. I assemble the handle how I want it to be. With that all done, and the rod balances the way I want, then all is done. If it doesn't balance the way I want, I will add some weight in the handle, which has been discussed here many times in the past. I do try to make it so I am adding the least amount of weight needed to balance the rod.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 20, 2006 12:49PM

Same here. Base the seat location on where you want the rear grip to fall. Often, you don't want to fight the fish with your write, so the rear of the rod needs to fall back under your forearem or even your elbow. But, an ultra-light will only stand so much pressure to begin with so you may not need the leverage added by fighting the fish from your arm instead of your wrist. Do you need to make two-handed casts? That's something else to consider.

Posted by: Grant King (---.stcd.qwest.net)
Date: October 20, 2006 01:14PM

The split grip is strictly for looks and weight savings. If I lost a few grams off the grip area, would I want to move the seat ahead to compensate for the weight loss?

How about the question regarding the aluminum winding checks? How do I attach them to EVA, Hypalon, or cork? Do I ream them to fit the blank or build up the blank with a few wraps in order to get it to fit? Thank you again, I appreciate everyones help.

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: October 20, 2006 01:30PM

A taper on the leading edge of your foreegrip mates nicely with the O.D. of the winding check. The I.D. of the winding check needs to be reamed, dremiled out, or correctly speced out and purchased (knowing its specific location) to be just bigger than the blank at the location it will be positioned, You don't want the I.D. so big the thread that butts up to it leaves a gap. This is your margin of error = Sz A thread being .009" dia. Doubled safley .015" tolerance. If the check was purchased and if the I.D. is too large you may have to build up some thread in the I.D. to make a smoother sloping transition from check to thread

Posted by: Wylie Wiggins (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: October 22, 2006 12:52AM

Hi Grant,
Personally I am picky with the balance of the rods I build and what I have done is to mock up the rod as best I can to find the balance point that I like. This has gone as far as taping the guides to the blank with scraps of coating for the extra weight the coatings and guides will add to the blank. The reel seat has been the biggest guesstament with either arbors taped to the exterior or approximated amouts of Rod Bond.

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster