I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fly rod builders
Posted by: david daniels (---.farmerswireless.com)
Date: September 24, 2006 12:16PM

hey all,
i am building my first fly rod, and have a question about the guides. i want to put single foot holo guides on this 2 pc 7' 4 wt rod. any suggestions and help with manufactures would be appreciated. i want to use guides with inserts, not the wire guides or snake guides. thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fly rod builders
Posted by: Jan-Ole Willers (---.adsl.hansenet.de)
Date: September 24, 2006 03:22PM

Hi David,

I for me personally it would be a little overdone to put on such a rod (7' #4) just ceramic guides. If you like them put a holo stripper but everything else is from my point of view a little too heavy. Hope that also some others will put a comment on yr thread.

RGDS,
Ole

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.onsemi.com)
Date: September 24, 2006 03:36PM

What the heck, I'd give it a go with the Am Tack ceramic flys. Might just try the single foot 10 fly as the stripper than a 6 and 5s to the 5 fly tip. If you didn't like it you could just untape the guides and slap some singlefoot wires on pronto.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 24, 2006 03:50PM

I've always used ceramics on all fly rods. They're not heavy if you size and select the properly. Most likely, 6's are all you need and if you can get by with 5's, so much the better. I'd use a high frame #10 for the stripping guide.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 24, 2006 08:04PM

David,

I would definately go for it!! I like Am Tac's holo guides, Like Tom, I would go with a SF 10 or 12 and the rest, #6 fly type ceramics.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Art Parramoure (216.54.152.---)
Date: September 25, 2006 03:39AM

Bronze snake guides wrapped with silk,,, the only way ~~~~

<*))))><

Posted by: david daniels (---.farmerswireless.com)
Date: September 25, 2006 07:55AM

good morning all,
i just wanted to say thanks for your help. i am building this for a friend and want it to look really sharp, but more than that i want it to perform very well. i will no doubt be calling on ya'll for more advice when i really get it going. thanks again for the input. dave daniels.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: September 25, 2006 08:39AM

All my fly rods, ranging from 5' 3wt. up to 9' 10wt. have single foot ceramics. On the light rods, I use #6s and a light amount of finish. If you built two identical light line rods, one with wire and one with ceramics, you might notice that the wire one feels slightly crisper without a line on it. But, once you get a line on them, this slight difference just disappears and the other benefits of the ceramics are what you will notice. By the way, I also use just the inexpensive Forecast H-ring fly guides or occasionally I'll spring for Alconites. I imagine if you pay the bucks for the titanium alloy frames, the crispness I mentioned would be no different but this kid ain't paying that kinda cash for fly rod guides. At least not on my rods where the money is coming out of my pocket. One builder's opinion.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: September 25, 2006 02:57PM

I think you are right at the cut off for ceramics, so go for it. Personally, I like a graduated set, 12-10-8-6-5s to tip. Don

Posted by: Alan Tomich (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: October 01, 2006 02:05PM

Steve Kartalia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All my fly rods, ranging from 5' 3wt. up to 9'
> 10wt. have single foot ceramics. On the light
> rods, I use #6s and a light amount of finish. If
> you built two identical light line rods, one with
> wire and one with ceramics, you might notice that
> the wire one feels slightly crisper without a line
> on it. But, once you get a line on them, this
> slight difference just disappears and the other
> benefits of the ceramics are what you will notice.
> By the way, I also use just the inexpensive
> Forecast H-ring fly guides or occasionally I'll
> spring for Alconites. I imagine if you pay the
> bucks for the titanium alloy frames, the crispness
> I mentioned would be no different but this kid
> ain't paying that kinda cash for fly rod guides.
> At least not on my rods where the money is coming
> out of my pocket. One builder's opinion.

Steve, what are the benefits of ceramic guides over snake?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2006 02:06PM by Alan Tomich.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster