I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spatulas
Posted by: Bruce A. Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: September 19, 2006 07:17AM

I was told that spatulas for applying finish are used for bigger rods such as surf rods and not on fly rods. Is that true?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spatulas
Posted by: Steven Libby (---.dc1.textron.com)
Date: September 19, 2006 07:23AM

Its probably true for the person that told you so. However I use spatulas for applying finish to all my rods.

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: September 19, 2006 07:31AM

I use a spatula to get a nice evenly distanced and straight line of expoy that spills over onto the blank that seals the guide threads from weather on my second coat. I usually put two light coats of epoxy (filling the guide tunnels on the 1st) The 1st coat I stay just on the threads, the second coat I spill over onto the blank a uniform distance as measured by the edge of the spatula

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 19, 2006 07:56AM

Technically, the spatula is the correct tool for applying epoxy to any rod, regardless of style, type or size. Personally, I use a brush.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.142.141.67.ip.alltel.net)
Date: September 19, 2006 08:57AM

I have used both, but pretty much settled on a spatula for guide wraps. I get no bubbles, but with a brush I always seem to introduce air. Probably just a matter of technique, but a spatula works great for me.
By the way, I have a couple of "real" metal spatulas. But, I still always use the coffee stirrers from McDonalds. I like the little bit of give they have, or something. It is funny how, once you get used to doing something one way, every other way just doesn't feel right.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 19, 2006 09:04AM

As Tom says, it is a tool of personal preference.

I used to use a brush for applying finish. I tried a couple kind of spatulas and found some metal artist spatulas in different shapes and sizes that I now use for all my rods. They are thin and very flexible and work well for controlling the amount of finish used, as well as making nice even lines on the edges. The pointed spatulas are good for ensuring that finish gets to all the tunnel spots around the guide feet.

There are both metal and plastic versions of these that can be found at craft stores. The plastic ones are cheap and might be a good choice just to try. The metal ones are better (for me) and last forever. They clean up quickly with a couple of wipes of a paper towel and some alcohol. In case you forget to clean them, you can just slice the finish off with a utility knife.

I did find brushes easier to use when there was a long area to finish. I could load more finish on a brush for those horizontal strokes than with a spatula.

Try it out and choose for yourself.

Terry

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: September 19, 2006 12:19PM

Re: good source for spatulas ... March 3, 2006
[www.rodbuilding.org]

MUD HOLE CATALOG 2006. Page 96.
STOCK #: "SPATULA SET" = $16.

We've got four piece sets for $8.99.
Mark@@#$%&
C&M Custom Tackle, San Dimas, CA

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 19, 2006 06:32PM

Here's a link to the set mentioned above --> []

TY Mr. Hall

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Fran Park (---.atlaga.adelphia.net)
Date: September 19, 2006 06:38PM

While at last year's show, I decided I needed to switch to spatulas from brushes. However, I did not like working with them. But since I now only use the brush primarily to apply finish to the wrap, and not to smooth it out, I have much better results. I hand turn the rod, and then let the rod sit for a few moments, and wick off the excess from the bottom (the way Tom teaches) and then resume turning to dry. I am doing a lot less actual brushing, just delivering finish with the brush. I've been real happy with my results.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 19, 2006 08:57PM

Spatulas work just fine for me. I prefer a spatula compared to a brush, but it depends on what you're used to and comfortable with. If you use a brush, don't brush on the finish but rather use the brush like a spatula.

Stan

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 19, 2006 11:38PM

I guess in addition to my post above, I should come clean and admit that when it comes to finish, the only things I do with a Spatula are mixing and straight edging my final coat on to the blank. I have customers that swear by them and we sell more of them than I can keep track of, I'm just not a big fan MYSELF. I've had great results applying finish with them for a nice flat coat, but not any where near as quickly as I can get a flat coat with a "brushula" as I think Mr. Stevens calls it.

I've got a lot of inventory of Sable, Camel Hair & Nylon brushes in just about every shape & size as well as all the Spatulas and I still reach for the 20 cent purple Flex Coat 1/8" Nylon brushes "Crimped" to a fan shape as in Scott Throop's photos.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

With enough practice, I could probably get faster with the Spatulas, but I get mirror flat finishes with a 20 cent throw away brush FAST. Tough to beat.

Nothing beats a Stainless Spatula for mixing though IMO.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster