I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel seat placement
Posted by: Bartosz Burski (---.multicon.pl)
Date: September 04, 2006 05:28PM

Hi

What technique do you guys prefer? Are you placing your seats using a tape or graphite arbors? Which one is better and why? I`ve just ordered fuji exposed reel seat for my first rod and I`m wondering how to place it.

Thanks,
Bartosz

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel seat placement
Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: September 04, 2006 05:40PM

The full seat length nylon Fuji reel seat arbhors is the trick if they will work out in your exposed situation, which they probably will not. its a toss up between fiberglass drywall mesh tape saturated with epoxy and built up to the correct I.D. or Graphite arbors, cut to fit both seat I.D. and blank O.D. are your next best bets. I have on occasion used HD button and carpet sewing thtread saturated with epoxy on each layer and built up to the correct I.D. for the seat. I like doing this when I have to internally sleeve a fighting butt extention onto an original blank butt section, as I then cover the entire overlapping area under the reel seat.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 04, 2006 06:31PM

Measure placement and take blank areas to be bonded to water wet condition. Be careful not to scour the exposed area of the blank. Recess the front end of your cork to fit the back end of the seat or make a cork shim - firm slide fit with the seat - cut about an inch of Flexcoat foam arbor - file or drill the ID with the Flexcoat Arbor Tool - Rod Bond and slide all in place. Less than 10 minutes of fitting work and a joint that will take anything. Carefully wipe all excess Rod Bond from exposed section of blank.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 04, 2006 08:22PM

Bartosz,
The exposed blank reel seats should fit snug against the blank and do not require any arbors to make them fit properly. If you chose to use an arbor instead of epoxy at the rear end of the reel seat or under the threads that it fine but the center part of the reel seat, where the blank is exposed, should fit tight against the blank and no arbor is required or should be used.

Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.123.---)
Date: September 04, 2006 08:39PM

I started using the Flex Coat abors and drilling system as much as I can. It's just faster. And I think the urethane stuff the arbors are made from should be indestructible and not affected by water or age.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.sw.res.rr.com)
Date: September 04, 2006 10:34PM

The exposed grip part should fit tight to the blank but it's always good to put about an inch of Flex Coat arbor where the threads are, that is if you are usig Fuji seats. If ou are using Forecast exposed seats you don't need anything as long as it is tight to the blank where you want it.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 05, 2006 05:08PM

Flexcoat arbors nut like everyone has pointed out, blank exposed seats don't need them though as they should fit snug

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Robert Hively (204.248.120.---)
Date: September 08, 2006 08:08AM

I have used all types of shims, and they all work. Tape is very easy but must be encapsulated to prevent eventual failure. Many prominant mfgers used tape at one time, and may continue.

Still, I prefer using drywall tape. It is light, synthetic, and some have adhesive on them. In conjunction with thick rod bond epoxy, wonderful results.

Hive

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2006 08:09AM by Robert Hively.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster