I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How many rods do you build in a year?
Posted by: Bill Giokas (---.bfd-dynamic.gis.net)
Date: September 02, 2006 08:41AM

Wonder how many rods people build in a year? For me I build rods as I need them and might go a couple of years without building a rod. Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How many rods do you build in a year?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: September 02, 2006 09:19AM

You are probably among the vast majority of rod builders, at least those who stay in the craft over the long haul. Far and away, most "rod builders" build just one or two rods and then never guild any more. Next would be the guys who get into it, build themselves and family members a few rods, then just build one every year or two, like yourself.

The guys who build dozens of rods per year, either for themselves or for sale, are few and far between actually. They don't make up more than a very tiny percentage of the overall craft.

When I was building rods for sale, I might build 75 to 100 per year. Now, and with everything else I have to do, I probably do 5 or less per year. But I put up a tremendous number of handles and such, for experiments, photos, etc. If I ever got around to finishing them out I'd have several dozen new rods to fish with, if I had the time to go fishing.

Posted by: Darrell Lapointe (---.pppoe-dynamic.nb.aliant.n)
Date: September 02, 2006 11:26AM

I'm building one or two rods per year.

Posted by: Josh Dinklage (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: September 02, 2006 12:03PM

This is my first year building and I am definitely hooked. I have finished about 50 rods so far. Over half of those have been for myself. I have built several at about cost for friends and have just recently built my first few for cutomers who I have not known previously.

Posted by: Bart Camps (---.sub-66-174-92.myvzw.com)
Date: September 02, 2006 12:26PM

I'm new to building. Less than 1 yr. I have been averaging 1 a month. The more I build, the more someone , friend or relative wants me to build one for them. I am getting to the point where I am exploring how to qualify for buying at wholesale prices. I'm not interested in becoming a full time rod builder. I have a good job. I just enjoy fishing, and building rods lets me relax when I'm not on the water .

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (66.252.177.---)
Date: September 02, 2006 12:27PM

20 per year here give or take.Most for friends or family as gifts and also some for donations for fund raisers.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.dynamic-dialup.coretel.net)
Date: September 02, 2006 12:28PM

The most I've built in one year was in 1995 when I built 1257. I have done all the gluing up but have had help (paid) in the wrapping and finishing except this year when my friend Walt ran my business while I was in the hospital. Jesse

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 02, 2006 01:22PM

Jesse lets get this straight - I did not think you were born in 1257 - how could you have built almost 2000 rods - they did not have Uglies Poles back then in the middle ages!

Also I noticed that you were very careful as to the 7 yr statute of limitations for reporting purposes.

U-NO-WOOOO!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2006 01:44PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 02, 2006 01:29PM

Usually 20 to 30

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2006 01:30PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Steve Buchanan (---.atl01.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 02, 2006 02:32PM

I have been building for about a year now and I have counted 38 rods for both myself and customers. I have re-build a good two dozen and quite a few guide replacements. Basically, enough to keep me very busy, but not enough to quit the day job (machinist)...Would like to have a steady flow of about 5 or 6 a week to build, but it comes in spurts....goes from covered up to short dry spells. Hopefully someday it will grow to the point that I can quit the day job but in reality it will probably end up as a supplemental income to social security..LOL

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dotnet.com)
Date: September 02, 2006 03:50PM

I "average" 30 to 40 customs per year and repair 80-100 rods per year.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 02, 2006 05:09PM

1-5 a year mostly for friends and family

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: September 02, 2006 08:19PM

I build a rod a month on average. Last month I built an 8 wt. CTS fly rod. Right now I am building a spinning rod for a good friend. I split my time on rod building and fly tying. I have four surf rods, two fly rods, and two offshore rods to build for my family. I never run out of rods to build.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.sw.res.rr.com)
Date: September 02, 2006 09:26PM

I do around 3 custom rods per month but build on an average about 25 rods per month for sale to walk in customers and at sports and outdoor shows. I keep at least 100 rods in stock, mostly speck and redfish rods and also some stand-up tuna rods.

Posted by: Rob Grider (---.insightbb.com)
Date: September 03, 2006 10:03AM

Between my son and me, it varies greatly from year to year. Normally I fall in the second category that Tom spoke about, for ourselves, family, and friends, donations to various organizations and a couple sales here or there. I made the mistake of putting a couple of our rods on display at a friends fishing/hunting retail shop and started getting more orders than we could handle. At that point it became more work and no longer a hobby when one has to meet others' deadlines. Also I found that I had so much less time to fish for myself. Most individuals wanted their rods during the fishing season and I would rather build during the colder months. Something wasn't quite right with that picture. :) Unfortunately rod building doesn't bring in the same level of income as my day job so it will remain at about 10-15 rods a year at this time.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: September 03, 2006 01:37PM

When I was in business (20 plus yrs) my biggest year was around 30 rods. I had a one man store front shop. Now I build one every 6 months. Most of my rods were 81/2 to 9 foot steel/salmon rods. As for fly rods maybe 5 a year.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Bill Tune (68.153.106.---)
Date: September 06, 2006 12:41PM

I usually do 2-5 bass rods a year. This year I have gone into the rebuild mode converting several factory rods to bumper wrap and split grips. I even rebuilt one of my first projects from about 1999 and reduced the weight by over a half ounce. Since my wife now fishes more with me I have slowly added several spinning rods to her stack. Actually she makes an excellent source to sort out new rods. She has no idea of what blank is what so she will pick the one that fishes the best for her without caring that the new "expensive" blank is supposed to be "better". I try and plan my building based on "needs" every winter. However based on our tournament results this year I should go get a couple of Snoopy rods!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster