I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly reel seats used as a Spinning reel seat?
Posted by: Luis Morales (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 24, 2006 07:51PM

I've never handled a fly rod but like the looks of the reel seats I've seen on line, especially the ones with the wooden inserts. Can I use one as a spinning reel seat for a UL / L trout rod, or are they too thin?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly reel seats used as a Spinning reel seat?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 24, 2006 08:23PM

You want the seat to fit your hand. Most fly seats are a bit too small for most, but you could certainly try one and see if you like it. It's also possible to buy spinning seats with wood inserts, or simply cut out the barrel and install one of your own.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: August 24, 2006 08:54PM

Most of the fly seats I've seen have pieces that are to small to fit the thickness of a spinning reel's foot, also they are usually too short to fit a spinning reel foot. Rainshadow and Pac Bay make skeleton seats that you can order wood, cork or graphite inserts in to match your mood.

Posted by: Luis Morales (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 24, 2006 10:22PM

Uhm Yeah, I figured the fly reel seat would be to small. I just think the fly reel seat skeletons are a lot more attractive than the spin reel seat skeletons. It's a gift so I was trying to pretty it up with an all metal seat skeleton.

Thanks

Posted by: Billy Broderick (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: August 25, 2006 12:58AM

I have to agree with you louis I wish the component manufacturers would pay attention too. I would love to see a nice spin seat made with the knurl rings and the nickle silver bodies anodise aluminum we get for fly rods both seats and butt caps

Posted by: Josh Dinklage (---.crarc.org)
Date: August 25, 2006 08:44AM

REC makes an aluminum spin seat with an oval shaped cutout that can be had in pewter finish. With a creative insert, that could be one very fine looking spin seat. Angler's Workshop has them. The cutout appears to be similar to the fly seats REC makes for G Loomis.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: August 25, 2006 09:20AM

The few that I've tried have had the same problems as above. Even with my smallest UL reels, they only get the barest of toeholds. You can grind the tips of the reel foot (not an option for me if it will be for somebody else) or carefully work the seat insert to shave it down a bit for some more clearance.

I also dream of the day when spin guys have similar "jewelry grade" seats available.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 25, 2006 10:43AM

Check out REC.

Jay

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: August 25, 2006 01:15PM

I have built more than a few fly/spin rods (and not the ones with the swap around handle) and had to make fly reel seats hold spinning reels better than they come straight off the assembly line. Lots of ppl like to Chick and duck fish with a fly reel and still be able to put on a spinning reel and cast. Now of course theses rods are guided for spinning reels and most C&D fishing is just a version of flipping so you can toss a loop around the 1st big spinning guide which would be the stripper guide on a fly only guide set up. I run Shimono stradic Reels and find the foot engagement into the reel seat hood limited but more than enough, You may gouge your reel feet at 1st so filing is one adaptive method.

You have to install the reel tightly working the feet in the best you can, then tighten the hoods down well, cast 5 or 10 times and retighten the locking rings again. I now have found a curved lathe chisle that I have refined (to 1/3 the slot width) to fit into the machined hood's reel foot slot and gentally pry it up and open a bit more. working the middle lightly at 1st, then one side and then the other ever so lightly until a pronounced hump is formed and centerd atop the slot. it is not any where near as high as hoods on a spinning reel seat that are specifically designed as such, but one has never failed and not a much filing is then needed, and you get double the original foot engagment, but I have also fished for years myself using a spinning reel in a fly rod reel seat and had no problems with reels loosening

Posted by: Darrell Lapointe (---.pppoe-dynamic.nb.aliant.n)
Date: August 26, 2006 07:55PM

I made a spinning rod for my wife with a fly reel seat. It is sort of a pewter color finish with blue ends. It looks and works great. No issues with the reel fitting either. I could post a photo or two in the photo section if you want.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster