I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

what blank do you suggest i use for a crappie rod???
Posted by: Tyson Oakes (---.ded.swbell.net)
Date: August 10, 2006 10:51AM

I have quite a few friends that are avid Crappie fishermen, they use a lot of 10' spinning rods. they also use 7 and 8' rods as well...if i ever want to infiltrate their market, i should learn what to use...so could you give me some suggestions??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what blank do you suggest i use for a crappie rod???
Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: August 10, 2006 11:54AM

Tyson,

Most of the people using the long rods are using live bait and bobbers. The rods commercially available are composite blanks made offshore and can be bought for fairly low prices. Most of the blanks I have seen in this length available to customer builders are very expensive. I'm not sure you can make a marketing strategy work there???

I built a forecast 6 1/2 ft extra light rod for my son and it is an awesome panfish rod....but a different type of fishing.

Posted by: Mark Syck (---.mgm.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 10, 2006 12:01PM

not sure, but you might look into some of the flyrod blanks

Mark Syck

SYCKO Custom Rods
There Are No Limits To The Imagination

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: August 10, 2006 12:44PM

Read what Buddy Sanders has to say on the subject. He makes a lot of rods like you describe. I had to word that carefully to make sure I didn't say he makes crappie rods. Don't want to insult the man.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: August 10, 2006 01:24PM

Just a guess on my part, but maybe a light steelhead blank? I've seen a couple that appeared they would make a decent crappie rod. I may just build one up for my grandad and let him fill me in on how it works. THANKS FOR THE IDEA! LOL

Jay

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 10, 2006 01:36PM

Tyson,

We've got quite a few IM6 2pc Fly Blanks in 8', 8-1/2' and 9' (4-7wt) that I think we've sold more to be set up as Crappie Rods than Fly Rods! We're selling them at $19.99 with Priority Mail shipping at about $6 tops depending on where you live. Drop me a note if interested and I'll forward you a list.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.povn.com)
Date: August 10, 2006 01:38PM

When I was a kid we used light weight fly rods for crappie fishing all the time. I still have the fly rod I got for this purpose in 1952 and, believe me, it has caught a lot of crappie over the years.

I would build this type of spinning rod on some 9 foot, 3wt to 5wt fly rod blanks. There are many affordale options including the ones we sell.

Joe

Joe Douglas

Posted by: Gary Snyder (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 10, 2006 02:07PM

If you are going to put a reel on it or cast with it, consider a Rainshadow IP840 ... I would think that would be great for jigs and live bait, two of the most popular crappie fishing methods. Long casting, better hook setting from the moderate-fast popping rod action ... will cast a small crappie jig farther than anything out there. Also, that softer moderate-fast action will cast live bait far without it sailing off the hook. What's not to like?!

A fly rod is designed to cast a length of line, not jigs or bait... while it would work, the long length will just add unnecessary weight and fatigue at the end of the day.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 10, 2006 02:07PM

Just remember one thing if you build a jigging pole for an avid fisherman of the perch! The little jiggy two bit bait things that they tie on the end of the line somehow will end up more important to them than that extra nice super light rod you built. When they go down in a tree top to get the jig with the tip of your new ultra high modulus blank you may well have an O'quinn repair on your hands quicker than you think. I learned rather quickly that the commercial builds are probably the direction to aim my customers. Some of them have a real good wording to the breakage warranty - if it breaks we will entitle you to purchase another in an expedited manner.

Posted by: ronnie jones (---.atl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 10, 2006 02:28PM

well, tyson,

I'VE GOT YOUR ANSWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was looking for the same thing a few weeks ago. i wanted a 7' GENUINE ULTRA LITE rod. ...but, i couldn't find one, UNTIL ..TA DA! I CALLED ANDY DEAR. ..andy hooked me up w/a 7' CTS tournament that is EXCELLENT for crappie & all panfish. it is very limber, but, on my first outing, i caught a 2 1/2 -3 lb bass (on a very small beetle spin.) it was a Blast. ..fishing with it is Fun, Fun, Fun!

i've got a 1000 Shimano Sustain on it. ..the first time i tried it, i put 4 lb line, but, decided to put 10lb power pro braid (same diameter as 2 lb mono) & i cannot tell you how well it works. ..you just kinda "aim" it where you want your lure to go & it "flies 40 acres" Fan Tas Tic

btw, i've got some pictures of it on another board. if you'd like to see them, pm me & i'll tell you where it is.

ronnie

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 10, 2006 04:09PM

Ronnie,
How about posting the pix here, so they will always be available??

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 10, 2006 04:24PM

I'll second the various recommendations for a fly rod. I think that a 3-4 wt would be great. In my case, I use a 4 piece by building the handle on the butt of the 3rd piece and use the final piece shortened to the end cap. For a fly, I would recommend looking for a faster action since they are longing and rather slow. That way, if you shorten it, you will have decently quick action.

Personally, I always prefer high modulus graphite build since these are more limber and by the time you add guides on, they can get more 'sluggish'. I prefer all my rods to be as crsip as possible including UL crappie rods. One advantage is if a fish tries to 'throw' the hook (not sure if that is the right term), the faster recovery of a lighter and higher modulus blank up the slack more quickly. I believe this is especially relevant when bobbers are used as they add mass between the hook and the rod tip, and that slows down the rod recovery to keep tension on the line.

Of course, you are sacrificing a bit of durability with higher modulus.

Mo

Posted by: Greg Hileman (208.189.38.---)
Date: August 10, 2006 05:41PM

I built one on a Forecast steelhead 9' 4-8 lb test rod and it is my favorite. Give it a try. They aren't expensive and are great for crappie.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 10, 2006 10:35PM

If I were you, I would check with Todd Vivian at Lamiglas or Bill Batson on their RainShadow/Forecast blanks. I believe either company can fit your needs. Here on the West coast. Steelheaders who like to fish with noodle rods use fly rod blanks
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 11, 2006 08:47AM

I am like Gary, The IP 840 is my favorite. I use a Stratic 1000 with 4lb line. I have also caught a 4 lb 10 oz bass on this set up. I have built several other rods using the IP 840 for customers. (Great trout rod too) I also built one for my brother-in-law on a 9 ft 5 wt. fly rod (2 piece-with a Tennessee grip) and he loves it.

Ed Smith
Flat Rock, NC

Posted by: Paul Kolis (65.213.220.---)
Date: August 12, 2006 09:21AM

There was a great article on the subject in the June/July 2005 issue of In-Fisherman Magazine.
The article was written by Steve Quinn w/ Bill Bottger.

Their Preferred outfit was a 7 1/2' 2 wt. St. Croix Avid fly fod blank matched with a Diawa SS-II 1500C reel

I quote: " matched w/ 2lb test the rod cast lures as light as 1/100s of an ounce".

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.deloitte.com)
Date: August 23, 2006 12:45PM

I am the Bill discussed in the In-Fisherman article and message above. You may have difficulty finding the 2wt, 2 piece, 7-1/2 ft St Croix blank referred to in the article as i believe (much to my sadness) that St Croix has discontinued the manufacture of that particular blank. They make a 3-4 piece, but that would not, to my estimation, be suitable for ultralight spinning rod purposes. Any ideas that you may have to find a reasonably priced, 2 wt. (or less), 7-1/2 ft (or longer), 2 piece fly rod blank would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Also, Daiwa has discontinued manufacture of the 1500C, SS-II reel. The times are tough.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: August 23, 2006 02:12PM

I would go to RainShadow/Forecast I think they have a rod that will fit your needs. They have a toll free number. Just ask for Bill Batson, I know he can fill your needs
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.93.140.67.ip.alltel.net)
Date: August 25, 2006 02:27PM

Thank you for the prompt reply. I called Bill Batson and he was very helpful. Unfortunately, Batson does not carry any blank that fits this criteria, namely 2wt or less, 2 piece, at least 7-1/2 ft. There are some "high end" blanks that fit this criteria, but the cost for the blank would exceed $200.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster