I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

anybody have any idea how to do this???
Posted by: Tyson Oakes (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: August 01, 2006 10:15PM

got a buddy that wants me to put some hook keepers on his new crankin stick i am building him but he would like a hook keeper for the lower hook on a crankbait and hook keeper for the upper hooks...any ideas how to fabricate this or how to make this work??? gonna be a sweet rod...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: anybody have any idea how to do this???
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2006 11:23PM

Tyson,
I have a question for ya. Is your buddy going to use the same size/style of bait??? if he is not you are lookig at developing a keeper that must slide within some type of frame or something adjustable that will allow him to hook up the different style baits.

Please post pics when you get it worked out, you have really peaked my interest on this one.

Tom

Posted by: Mark Syck (---.mgm.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 01, 2006 11:46PM

Same here. Just can't picture the same 2 hook keepers working for all crankbaits. Big diff between my DD22 and my 1minus. But then again I have 3 crankbait rods. 2 spinnerbait, 2 top water, 2 flippin, 2 worm, 2 jig, 2 jerkbait and a partridge in a pear tree.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: August 02, 2006 12:00AM

Fuji makes a thing called an "EZ Hook Keeper II". It's a little plastic keeper that sits well up above the rod with a slot that's the actual keeper, and at the base it has a little solid end on either side that looks sot of like a half of a pully wheel, but doesn't move. It comes with two round rubber bands (one large, one small) You place the base against the rod, wrap the rubber band over one of the ends and down under the rod and up to the other end. It sound like a lot more than it actually is.

The nice thing about this, for your purposes, would be that it can be rotated around the rod to be on top one minute, and underneath the next. There's no marks left on the rod at all. The actual keeper comes in several colors, too. We use these on all our larger rods, scuh as surf rods or striper sticks. It costs about $3-3.50, as I recall, but well worth it.

Another idea is that if your rod has a trigger grip, there was an article recently that describes drilling a hole in the actual trigger, which gives you a one-size-fits-all hook keeper.

Uncle Russ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2006 12:58AM by Russ Pollack.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 02, 2006 07:19AM

What you're going to have to do is get outside the normal realm of commercially available hook keepers and develop something that will accomodate a wide range of plug sizes. Some creative thinking should easily result in a solution.

What pops into my mind right off the bat is some sort of shallow plastic bar with holes drilled every 1/4 inch or so. Something light and unobtrusive, but something which could engage hooks over a length sufficient to allow different sized crankbaits to work with it.

I think the customer's request would probably be a popular one if somebody could come up with something along these lines. Sure would keep loose hooks from getting caught and tangled in other rods or boat carpet.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 02, 2006 07:57AM

Here are two ideas to consider
1.You could mount 2 loop type keepers paced apart then loop small rubber bands on each that could stretch to match hook distances. Only problem is having to replace rubbers bands from time to time

2. If you use graphite tubing for back end of handle you could leave butt end open and cut slot ¼” wide approximately 2” up the tube for him to put hooks inside of handle which would secure them.
You will need to put and arbor at the inside end of slot for strength, and some type of ring at the back end (also cut) for strength and to prevent graphite from splintering
It also means extending the tubing 2” past blank.

Just a note:
If you use the “drill hole in trigger method. When the person is removing hooks from hole a lot of times the hook will scratch the trigger. Which leaves little sharp ridges That I find irritate the inside edges of my fingers while fishing for extended periods.

Posted by: Bob Turpen (---.nas7.atlanta2.ga.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: August 02, 2006 07:58AM

My hook keepers consist of a short piece of velcro. I wrap it a full wrap around the rod, then with the tag end wrap it a full wrap over the line that is holding the lure, or hook, or sinker.

Posted by: Robert Marie (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 02, 2006 08:35AM

Greetings Tyson,

Go to ACE Hardware or equal, and buy a small package of electrical tiewraps; These now come in various colors.
Attach as many as you need---Pull each down, lightly---Trim the tail ends and--.

You're Done!

because 'these' require no building and are rugged.

Go fishing and dont cast real far 'cuz they're right in front of yah!

Bob

Posted by: Robert Marie (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 02, 2006 08:35AM

Greetings Tyson,

Go to ACE Hardware or equal, and buy a small package of electrical tiewraps; These now come in various colors.
Attach as many as you need---Pull each down, lightly---Trim the tail ends and--.

You're Done!

because 'these' require no building and are rugged.

Go fishing and dont cast real far 'cuz they're right in front of yah!

Bob

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: August 02, 2006 08:58AM

Drill several holes in an oversized piece of scrap blank and mount in front of the foregrip with some EVA arbors to make it look like a machine gun barrel shroud.

I might try this tonight to see what it looks like.

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: August 02, 2006 10:48AM

So far the best thing I have found, like Bob T. said, is wrapping the lure with a strip of velcro wrapped back around onto itself. It especially works well for larger, multi- hooked sets on bass lures.

Rich Matranga
Folsom, California

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 02, 2006 12:20PM

put on a Srap hook holder and a bag of Rubber Bands. Put a rubber band thru the hook holder and hang on hooks

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: August 02, 2006 12:21PM

I like Mick's idea - sounds cool. I keep coming back to a spring loaded deal - in other words, have one end fixed, and the other with a spring attached to the second hookeeper to apply tension to the second set of trebles. It would, of course, be very prone to breakage however....

Posted by: Tyson Oakes (---.ded.swbell.net)
Date: August 03, 2006 11:50AM

wow, you guys are full of great ideas...I will have to figure out something...dunno yet what it will be..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster