I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Black blanks - new product?
Posted by: Robert Heaton (---.bri.dsl.connect.net.au)
Date: July 29, 2006 05:00PM

How many blanks are made in Black?
Can someone come up with a new product (off the shelf) that can utilise cover coats such as Permagloss and others so we can easily and quickly change the colours of blanks.
The interest and posts generated by this subject should send a clear message to a budding entrepreneur to come up with a commercial product to colour change a blank
R

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Black blanks - new product?
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 29, 2006 05:05PM

Already done,

Just add color pigment to Permagloss

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Robert Heaton (---.bri.dsl.connect.net.au)
Date: July 29, 2006 05:15PM

Raymond
Reading the posts this still sems to be experimental - I recently tried printer toner dust with Permagloss with very good results (black though)
My suggestion is a commercailly availbale product that we can buy and use with Permagloss - do you know of one with many colours?

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 29, 2006 05:21PM

Testors enamal paint pigments, Tap Plastics pigments,
A favorite of mine for wrapping finish is the Pearl-Ex powder
pigments. Comes in many colors and metalics too!
Not sure how the powders work in Permagloss though, should work fine.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: July 29, 2006 07:40PM

Raymond!

SHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.255.44.86.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: July 29, 2006 08:48PM

Robert,

Rodbuilders who do a lot or marbelizing utilize a lot of different kinds of pigments for their patterns. Putter told me he uses some pigments from paint stores. You might try going to a paint or hardware store (not a Lowes or Home Depot because they are less likely to sell you a small amount) and ask if they will sell you a small amount of pigment. Remember, you will be diluting the pigment so you will have to work out the ratios needed to get the color you want.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Billy Broderick (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2006 04:04AM

Ray your way off! I agree with Robert that there has to be a way to color blanks its rediculous some times it seems all I ever build for customers is black rods. Black black black some times i think im in the funeral business! But as to what Ray said the pigments with permagloss is good for marble work or even to accent a reel seat ,guide wrap etc. But Ray you can't use it to color a whole rod! First of all the weight of said rod would increase significantly. The other problem with this just to mention a few is the fact that adding a coat of finish to the whole rod would change the action and power completly. Derek I agree shhhhhhhh! lol. Robert i sencerly hope that there are some manufacturers paying attention to this thread as meybe just meybe they will be listening to us the consumers who purchase there products for our clients the final consumers.The other complaint I had about a month ago in a similar thread was that there are no real nice real seats for medium to light spin casting rods. Sure theres fancy seats made out of nickel silver with fancy knurling for fly rods but all you get is black plastic for spinning rods. Oh sure you can add a skeloton seat with a wood insert but i can make that myself by cutting back a regular seat. Why cant they make a nice fancy real seat for a spinner. Why not a fancy butt cap for same?You know I posted a thread about this and got NO response from any manufacturers! I live in and build for my customers here in south west florida and the predominent technique around here is spin casting. Seems ashame that i really don't have any fancy metal show pieces to offer. Perhaps the manufacurers will realize guys like you and i Rob are not alone in realizing we are not in the funeral business but the custom rod business!!

Just one mans opinion, BILLY Broderick
Billy B-Rod co.
Marco Island florida

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: July 30, 2006 08:14AM

Billy B. if you are talking freshwater spinning rods take a look at Cabelas' woven graphite reel seats in three colors, the brown is a perfect complement for St. Croix's LE blanks.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 30, 2006 08:46AM

Billy,
What Raymond said was pigments in PERMAGLOSS, not epoxy finish!! Permagloss IS used as a blank finish. It's not an epoxy but a urethane finish (consistancy of water) that is intended to be used to finish a blank. of I don't think that anyone has suggested coating a blank with epoxy finish. Builders have been painting blanks for many years with mixed results. You can do what many have done - take a blank to an auto bump shop and have it painted any color that you want with a flexative added, or paint/color it yourself. One thing to keep in mind is that the number of blanks sold to builders the manufacturere's that even sell them is a VERY small part of their business (many do not consider it even worthwile) and, since , as far as I know, most finish their blanks by a dip/squeegy process, it would probably be not very cost effective.
CTS (Lama Fishing on the left) has a pretty extensive variety of colors available for their blanks. GUSA also offers a variety of colors as does Lamiglass (I think). Tiger Eye blanks, Matrix, etc also offer a unique color/finish not available on production rods.

Fly rods are generally sold to a different maket and I suspect that most do not sport the high end nickle silver seats, etc. What you are looking for is available, but you have to either look hard, pay the price or make it yourself. If you wait for the manufacturer's to fill your "wants", you may have a long wait.

By the way, Marbling is NOT done with Permagloss!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 30, 2006 09:38AM

Pony up to the table with an order and cash for 50 blanks of the same model number and you can get them painted by most manufacurers. Purple, Gold, Fucia, Red, Green, White, Navy + Whatever. Remember when they are used for fishing they scratch. The polished nautral blank leaves my shop in a fisherman's hands more often than one of the above. Your market and size of business dictates how you get them painted.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 30, 2006 09:41AM

CTS makes blanks in several colors.
Check out hteir web site for info

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.onsemi.com)
Date: July 30, 2006 11:18AM

Lamiglas custom colors at no charge for lots of 12 or more, they charge $20 for a single blank.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.201.101.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 30, 2006 11:56AM

Some one has herd us. Andy Dear is coming up with a coloring system. Not sure when it will be ready.
The tinted permagloss may be the best way to color and keep weight down on light rods.

Posted by: Bob Purvis (---.139.255.206.cable.pnbl.cablelynx.com)
Date: August 01, 2006 01:00AM

Would you use a sprayer to paint the blank? How do you suspend the blank to get even coverage and avoid drips?

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 01, 2006 02:32PM

Bob - buy a two story house with 12 foot ceilings. Cut a hole in the ceiling of the dining room. Install a frame that will hold a 6 inch square piece of foam. Take rod to second story - soak foam in colored paint - quickly and in one motion slide blank through hole in foam - run down stairs and hope that the painted blank did not fall on the white chinele table cloth. When the wife gets home run like the devil.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.147.98.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: August 01, 2006 04:30PM

Bill

That's funny

Posted by: Bob Purvis (---.139.255.206.cable.pnbl.cablelynx.com)
Date: August 01, 2006 11:19PM

Bill, I'm the guy who brought the belt sander into the living room to shape the EVA foam grips. It was one of those bachelor moments whose aftermath made me think there should have been a women in the house to say "DON'T YOU DARE DO THAT IN HERE!" Now, how big does that foam pad have to be? Bob

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.162.193.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: August 02, 2006 12:11AM

like it is said - behind every good man - is a woman

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster