I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Another new concept question
Posted by: cameron dixon (---.ispone.net.au)
Date: July 29, 2006 05:52PM

As a relative novice I am about to try out the new concept guide system for the first time. I am hoping Tom Kirkman can find the time to reply to this as I have read his book and was very interested in this theory,but if anyone else has an opinion I will be interested in their thoughts. My question regards the imaginary line used to locate the choke guide and the positioning of the other guides in relation to this line. If the line is projected from the centre of the spool or spindle I would have thought that this imaginary line should run through the centre of the guides not the outside edge of them as described. Wouldn't the funnel effect work more efficiently if the intersecting line ran through the centre of the diminishing guides. Is there a theory behind this outer edge layout or is it just to ensure the guides line up perfectly. Sorry to bring this topic up again

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another new concept question
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 29, 2006 06:26PM

I think your misunderstanding something Cameron.

Here is the section from the library article New Guide Concept Primer pertaining to the choke guide
placement. (no imaginary line here)

2. "Note the point where the rod blank intersects with the table edge. Set your smallest and lowest guide against the blank in the location where it¹s outer edge just touches the table edge."

The lower guides are placed so the rings just meet the table edge also. Sence the blank is at
an angle in relation to the table edge this works.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 29, 2006 06:32PM

Gravity pulls the line downward - therefore in actual use the line will never pass through the center of the rings. It will instead pass along the bottom edge of the ring. Thus, you can set it up so that the line path is along the bottom edge and it will work just fine.

Posted by: cameron dixon (---.ispone.net.au)
Date: July 29, 2006 11:25PM

Thanks guys I think I'm getting too carried away with how the line will travel coming off the spool during casting and forgetting about rod performance in general. Im about to go and tape on a few runners and experiment a little so I'm sure it will all start to make sense. By the way Tom, I found your first book very helpful, did you ever get around to writing the follow up book you were planning on? I'm in Australia and I've only been able to find your 'rod building guide'.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 30, 2006 07:40AM

It requires a lot of effort and time to write such books and I don't receive any payment in return. I have a coffee table type book on rod builders ready to go but it will require about $35,000 in order to publish it.

The book I did for Amato, Rod Building Guide, will be revised and updated next year. It will include the Smple Spiral guide system and further work on the New Guide Concept. I suspect it will be available sometime in late 2007.

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: July 30, 2006 11:30AM

I take Tom's gravity effect one step further and align the bottom of the guide ring where the spool centerline points, this places the 1st guids a few more inches away fromm the spool face and allows the line spirialing off the spool more distance to expand before dropping with gravity, then being gathered in at the 1st guide and redirected via the funnel set up back toward the blank/intersect guide. This is personal choice that I have used for a long time and the Concept guide method works equally well.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.201.101.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 30, 2006 11:41AM

Depending on that gravity thing as Tom stated, I try to use a type of concept guide and place the line path into the ring down to the chock. Guess it's a personal thing.

Posted by: Robert Marie (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 01, 2006 08:26AM

Greetings,

My personal philosophy is: "perfect is good....but done is better" ; A;ways: 'subject to' if product passes my tests.

My belief: It is true that there is 'variety' in the ways we all do our 'things', BUT in the final analysis 'we all test and inspect our final products'. And if our final 'tests' show our product is 'sound in its qualities', we're done and only then.
Thats my approach!

Advice: Never, never let your product out of your possession until a successful 'quality check' has been concluded and recorded (eg. if you build for somebody else to fish).

As the 'last thing' (after visuals) that I do, I make a very forceful cast and I listen for a faint but pronounced sound similar to 'pffffftt' (NGC only). Otherwise, any line rattle, etc can require (and it has!) some serious introspection if it were my product.

I'd be interested in forum practices for 'final checks' from the builders in this superb forum.

Bob Marie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster