I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rainshadow Question?
Posted by: Alan M. Smith (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 18, 2006 08:18PM

A quick question,has anyone had an issue with a Raishadow blank(spin or cast) not being straight? a little bend would be OK,but how much out-of-whack would a blank have to be before you would send it back?.....Thanks,Alan.....oh by the way I'm new at this so any info would be great.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rainshadow Question?
Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 18, 2006 08:47PM

Alan,
As you probably know there will be a slight bend to almost all blanks. I would say that up to even 1/4" is acceptable for blanks that are 8' or 9' long as long as the bend is a gradual one and the bend is only in one direction. For a shorter blank it should naturally be proportionally less. A bend of this amount will not be noticeable if you put the guides on top of the bend, the belly in the bend down, and it will not have enough effect on performance that it will be detectable or measurable. I do not think that a double bend or a quick bend is acceptable and will be noticeable in the finished rod.
Having said that it has been my experience that the Rainshadow blanks are some of the straightest blanks available. In fact, the folks at Batson Enterprises take pride in the straightness of their blanks so if you have a blank that has a bend that is not acceptable to you I would contact them and ask them about it. If the bend is excessive and somehow got through their QC I am confident that they will want to replace it.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 18, 2006 09:18PM

I have had no issues with the blanks that I have gotten from them. I am excited to see the new RX8's they are making!!!!! I have found most of their blanks to be straighter than many of the "high dollar big names!!"

If you think that it is too much send it back.

Tom

Date: July 18, 2006 09:24PM

Thanks for the quick response Emory,I feel like I must add that this was not ment to spread false info. about Rainshadow as I have a very nice 6wt fly rod that I love it lacks for nothing,this was a comment that a person made to me...so......Alan

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 18, 2006 09:58PM

Alan,

I have built several Rainshadows including one I just put in the photo area under the grips area, I have been very happy with EVERY Rainshadow I've built. None have been flawed.

DR

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 18, 2006 10:12PM

Alan,
If you liked the 6 wt. Rainshadow that you have you should look at the new RX8+ blanks if you like a fast action rod. I have recently received several of them and I am very impressed with them. They are a little expensive but maybe the highest performance blanks on the market, certainly the highest performance for the money.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.111.130.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 19, 2006 09:25AM

iF YOU HAVE A 2003 BLANK YOU MAY HAVE A BIT OF A CORK SCREW AT THE TIP. the FACTORY WAS CHANGED AFTER THAT YEAR AND ALL I HAVE GOTTEN AFTER THAT WERE EXCELLENT BLANKS.

Date: July 19, 2006 10:55AM

I want to thank you all for answering my question.....nothing like getting an answer from the brain trust here......Alan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster