I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

AFTCOTE rod finish
Posted by: clyde trainor (---.rockymountains.net)
Date: July 18, 2006 09:59PM

I have been away and have not kept up with the rodboard and am wondering if anyone has been usung AFTCOTE. If so, what are the finished characteristics etc? Just don't want to spend the money and time unless it is good stuff. Am now mostly using LS Supreme and like it alot.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: AFTCOTE rod finish
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 18, 2006 10:02PM

Clyde,

I used Aftcote until Andy Dear came out with Threadmaster (Lamar Fishing at the left side of the page) and after using his for a few months, my Aftcote that I have on hand will go bad before I pick it up again.

DR

Posted by: David Spence (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: July 18, 2006 10:53PM

Ditto the Threadmaster- I have never had better, more consistent results. I've got whole bottles of other finish that will never see a guide wrap.

Posted by: Mark Boggs (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: July 19, 2006 01:11AM

Clyde,
I've used the Aftcote for some time now and I like the finished product and working qualities a little better than LS Supreme (which I also like). The only problem with the Aftcote is that it takes for...................ever to dry. If I don't keep a finished rod turning for at least 8 hours I'll worry that it may sag. I'm very eager to try Andy's Threadmaster and plan to order some soon. I think I'll use the LS and Aftcote for marbeling or something like that.

Mark Boggs

Springfield, OR

Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 19, 2006 07:54AM

I've been using AftCote for a while now. It does take longer to CURE but there won't be any sags after four hours. It gives me a consistent finish everytime. I've been VERY pleased with it. I've used LS Supreme(hated it) and FlexCoat. Of those two the FC was better. For those who won't use the rest of their Aftcote please feel free to send what you got to me. Just email me for the address.;) I love the stuff and have no reason to change. There are lots of finishes on the market now days and it's just a matter of preferrence. Some might have good results with this one and bad with that one and just the opposite for the next guy. Like me, I used LS Supreme and never could get the finish I wanted and some folks just raved over how great it was for them. Now I use Aftcote and it gives me the results I want but for some other folks it doesn't. So Clyde, try a few finishes and see which one gives you the reults you want.

BTW, if anyone would like to try to change my mind on finishes I would be more than happy to try a free sample of ThreadMaster. ;)

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 19, 2006 03:57PM

Tried most but exclusively Threadmaster now!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Jason Alvarado (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: July 19, 2006 09:09PM

Clyde, I am very pleased with the results I have gotten with AC. I'll post some photos soon, very flat. Havent tried ThreadMaster yet but it sounds like everybody is going plum loco over it. I'll have to try it. Again the AC aint no pushover.

Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 20, 2006 07:54AM

Everybody went coo coo over LS Supreme when it came out. So I wonder what will be the next greatest finish after threadmaster? ;) Still need a free sample to try and everybody's left over Aftcote. LOL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster