I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Pushing threads
Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 17, 2006 01:20PM

What do y'all use for pushing and packing your threads? I use the end of the burnish tool from Gudebrod but it doesn't do good in tight places trying to move a single thread. I also use a bodkin but my point seems to be cutting the threads when trying to move them around. Just wondering what other tools might be used to push and pack threads.

Thanks,
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pushing threads
Posted by: tim hough (71.224.101.---)
Date: July 17, 2006 01:25PM

Steve,
Alot of folks here use dental tools, picks, spatulas, etc for all their work. I got mine from my dentist...he has a drawer full of old ones. They are easily available thru many hobby sources & @#$%&, etc.
Tight Lines,

Tim

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: July 17, 2006 01:29PM

I use dental tools for moving threads. Some of the sponsors carry dental tools. As for packers I made mine from chop sticks. I beveled the ends. I do not wait tell my project is finsihed befor I pack. I pack as I go, I lay 3 or 4 threads down then pack.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: July 17, 2006 01:56PM

#1 thread tool was sold by Clemens, I think Gudebrod still sells one similar, if not exactly the same. 1/8" stainless stell rod, with a triangulated head

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: July 17, 2006 02:08PM

I am using a handle for a retail version of a dental flosser....it is basically like a handle for a toothbrush......I took off the flosser attachment and use it upside down... tapers down to a triangular shaped point. Basically kind of looks like a toothbrush handle...borrowed from my wife. Works great ! Available at Wal-mart.

My wife was a bit upset but she got over it..LOL

Date: July 17, 2006 02:41PM

Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 17, 2006 02:52PM

Billy,
You haven't had a problem with the tool slipping and cutting a thread? This gudebrode bodkin is giving me fits. Do you know where I get one like you've got?

Thanks,
Steve

Date: July 17, 2006 03:06PM

MEtal on Nylon or Polyester & a slip will equal broken threads. I used ot pop a lot more threads, but once I got good at packing I really haven't had a problem. I also never worry about popping threads, since nobody in teh entire universe will ever notice. I just keep on going, if it's really bad & I think the threads may unravel, I'll put a drop of CP.

No idea where to get this from, I though tGudebrod might sell it, I'm not sure. Tool must be cleaned up with a Dremel and polishing compound so there are NO sharp edges and the point isn't like a needle.

Posted by: Ernie Johnson (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: July 17, 2006 03:11PM

Since I am from Maine, I use a lobster meat picker that I "dremeled" with polishing compound.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 17, 2006 05:10PM

I use the same thing as Billy, and I use a old expired junk credit card to pack with.

DR

Posted by: Ross van Enckevort (---.internode.on.net)
Date: July 17, 2006 05:37PM

Steve,
Have alook at the ones I sell they will do the job.

[www.therodworks.com.au]

Cheers,

Ross.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 17, 2006 05:51PM

Thumbnail. It's not the greatest thread packing and moving tool, but it's always handy.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 17, 2006 06:11PM

Billy set me up with one of those tools and after buffing down the edge, its a great tool. If you don't knock off the edge of some off the tools availble, one slip, and your cutting up some threadwork. I'm currentlly using and old little baby antique ice pick about 75 years old that has a nice rounded point to it, and fits great in my fingers.

Cant go wrong will lg bamboo BBQ skewers either, sanded to fit your needs.

Posted by: Michael Shea (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 17, 2006 06:28PM

Tom, I thought being a beginner I thought it was wrong to use my thumbnail, but so far nothing has come close to it! It's good seeing a pro recommend it too! You don't need really long nails either, and it packs without causing fuzzies or any other issues I've had with metallic or plastic implements.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 17, 2006 06:33PM

Sally Beauty Supply - Several styles of cuticle pushers. I use the polished steel one about 5 inches long that has a point on one end and a flat spade foot on the other. Total cost $ 1.00 plus tax.

Get you Tweezerman Nippers and the Personnal Hair Shaper blades while you are there.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 17, 2006 07:08PM

I've found it is hard to beat the thumb nail-as Tom K. stated. I've had some broken Thumb nails but never cut a thread with them. I've been know to use both thumb nails at the same time. When I have to resort to metal picks, I cut the thread sometime and generally don't like to do it.

Ed Smith

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 17, 2006 08:27PM

I use a plastic timing chain tensioner push rod from the V6 Ford Explorer ground on one end to a point and the other to a chissel shape.These at one time were plentiful as they were replaced as a recall.The plastic is really strong and holds a good edge.Always keeping an eye open for something to make rod building easier.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: July 17, 2006 08:43PM

I use my thumbnail as well. Even sand it to shape, polish it with clear and then scuff it up to take off the shine. When the thumbnail breaks my hobby stops until it grows back.

The best part is that it is FREE.

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 17, 2006 09:11PM

Thumbnails??? Who sells them?

For a nail biter, this method is like the toothless, gumming a steak! lol.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: July 17, 2006 09:13PM

Besides my chop sticks, I also use a small roller. The roller acts like a burnisher and flattens the thread down. You well find, by compressing the threads down. A lot of the thread gaps well disappear.
Good Wraps Bob. PS I can't use my thumb nails because I bit them off when I get frustrated with a thread art project

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster