I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dale Clemens
Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-79.myvzw.com)
Date: July 10, 2006 11:45AM

Hey folks,
I just wanted to share with you guys an exciting development not only for my company, but for the rodbuilding community as a whole.
I have just purchased from 3M Company all rights and ownership to the 2 vintage Dale Clemens Videos:

Building Your Own Rod w/Dale Clemens

Creative Rod Crafting w/Dale Clemens

I am really excited about this first and formeost because these 2 videos were the spark that ignited my interest in building Custom Rods over 10 years ago.

These videos were filmed (according to Dale) in 1984 and were discontinued by 3M in the early 1990's for a multitude of reasons. There are a few ragged copies floating around on @#$%& from time to time, but for the most part, they are VERY hard to find in any decent condition.

For those of you who have never seen these videos before, they are some of the finest rodbuilding videos ever done....very professionally filmed and edited. It's obvious from the quality of the production and editing that 3M put a lot of money, time and effort behind this series. In fact the Creative Rod Crafting video contains to my knowledge the first "filmed" treatise on checkerboard inlays. BUT, the real highlight is the feature section on chevron/diamond wraps ...it is bar none the finest ever done. The diamond wrap shots were filmed under a high magnification lens and each pass is shown step by step while Dale himself narrates. Dale informed me as well that this video is what helped refine the "vocabulary" regarding threadwork that so many use today. Included are how to setup and layout open and closed wraps, plus 1 wrapping and much much more.

I spoke to Dale at length prior and during the transaction between 3M and myself to insure I had his blessing on this project, and he was very very excited about this. I think he was quite disappointed when the videos were discontinued, as they were a real labor of love for him. To my knowledge there are no other quality videos of Dale in action...so for those of you who have studied the books, and used his products, here is a chance to see the man himself in action at the height of his rodbuilding success.

My plan is to have these transfered to DVD in the next 60 days and offer them for sale seperately or as a set. So, as soon as we have some basic production done, and jacket artwork finalized, I'll post an announcement on my website and on this board.

Best Regards,

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing Products

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dale Clemens
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nas88.newark2.nj.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: July 10, 2006 01:00PM

I have his books and find they are kind of my building bibles.

These I got to have - Let us know And thanks

Posted by: Mark B. Gonsalves (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: July 10, 2006 02:22PM

FINALLY!!!!!!!! I was outbid numerous times for those videos. I'll be waiting. Now only Billy40. Mahalo and Aloha.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: July 10, 2006 02:38PM

What about Billy 40? lol.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ma-cambridg0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: July 10, 2006 05:12PM

I have a VHS tape of Dale's rodbuilding video, and like you it got me interested again in rodbuilding. A very well done production. Many of the original 3M videos were quality products when most were shabby at best. It was pretty humorous when the 3M crew and Jim Teeny were cited for illegally fishing, cracked me up.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.cnrfe.navy.mil)
Date: July 10, 2006 06:17PM

Hopefully they will be available in DVD format as well?

Look forward to them!

Phil

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 10, 2006 06:22PM

Phil, read the last paragraph in Andy's post.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 10, 2006 06:30PM

They are excellent videos, back from an era when it all started.

Lou

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.cnrfe.navy.mil)
Date: July 10, 2006 06:33PM

Oh... duhhhh. Read that line too... just didn't sink in.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-93.myvzw.com)
Date: July 10, 2006 06:51PM

Phil...you've been out on that boat too long....hehe.

Andy

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 10, 2006 09:02PM

Way to go Andy!!
I have a borrowed Clemens VHS and it will be nice to finally let the owner
have it back!! It wont be long now Derek! Thats a promise

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2006 09:03PM by Raymond_Adams.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 10, 2006 09:08PM

Dale has tentively agreed to appear at the International Custom Rod Building Exposition next February. He's only about two hours away and I'll provide him with a table space to use so he can meet and great old friends and perhaps sign some of your books and DVDs.

I won't nail this down until we get closer. Dale is older now and often it's hard to plan that far in advance. But all indications are that he'll try to make it.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: July 10, 2006 10:15PM

Dale is a quiet and unassuming man. I met him in Austin, Texas in the early 80's during one of his seminars. I hope to see him again in February. He ran a very informative seminar.

Posted by: John Sams (---.ord.scnet.net)
Date: July 12, 2006 03:43PM

Dale Clemens was the most successful rod builder who ever lived. Think about it. He made money off of Clemens Tackle, then started Rodcrafters and made money off of that and then started the seminars and made money off of that. Then he sold it all for profit and retired to Florida!

I don't know if he was a great rod builder or not, but few people have been as successful financially as he was in rod building. I don't know if he would do it, but a seminar on rod building business matters with Dale as the presenter might be a hit!

Posted by: Charlie Armontrout (---.dmt.ntelos.net)
Date: July 12, 2006 09:30PM

Dear Friends,

It's great to hear about Mr. Clemens again. When I returned to rod building three years ago, I inquired on this forum as to the whearabouts of Dale Clemens. A gentlemen named Andy Dear promptly returned an e-mail to me putting me back in touch with Dale at that time. Dale was one of only a few people I dealt with in the "early years" of my rod building (19730 but he was very helpful and a great businessman. My special connection to Dale was that in his second book, "Advanced Custom Rod Building", I had the special priveledge to create most of the drawings in the book. I have a signed and dated copy of the book and a short note at the beginning of the book. Dale and his associates at that time were a great group of people to do business with.

Charlie

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 12, 2006 09:34PM

Hi Charlie,
Your email address is hidden. Would you please email me?

Thanks!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 14, 2006 09:54PM

I doubt I'd ask Dale to present any sort of seminar, but will be happy to provide him a table/space where he can visit with old friends and perhaps sign a few autographs on your books and videos.

This is all very tentative but I'll let you know what we can work out as the time draws closer.

Posted by: wayne feener (---.eastlink.ca)
Date: December 03, 2011 03:56PM

Does anyone know if Andy Dear ever reproduced the Dale Clemens VHS tapes on rod building that he obtained the rights from 3M back in 2006.
I would like to get a copy of the tape on Building your own rod (100 min.) and Creative rod crafting (110 min.). I had viewed them years ago and built some fly rods. They are excellent tapes and very informative.

Posted by: wayne feener (---.eastlink.ca)
Date: December 03, 2011 04:18PM

Does anyone know if Andy Dear ever reproduced the Dale Clemens VHS tapes on rod building that he obtained the rights from 3M back in 2006.
I would like to get a copy of the tape on Building your own rod (100 min.) and Creative rod crafting (110 min.). I had viewed them years ago and built some fly rods. They are excellent tapes and very informative.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster