I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Folding Hook Keeper
Posted by: Joe Luebeck (---.stn-co.client.bresnan.net)
Date: June 23, 2006 04:05PM

Hi All
Has anyone out there had experience with folding hook keepers? I am building a 9 foot fly rod and have been asked to add a folding keeper. Sweet looking little gadget, but I am concerned about it pulling free from the wrap and exopy under tension. Not a whole lot to tie it down with, just a straight foot about 1/4 inch long.

Thanks

Joe Luebeck
Butte, Montana

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Folding Hook Keeper
Posted by: alan hutchison (209.36.159.---)
Date: June 23, 2006 04:27PM

I've used them for awhile now, they have worked well on my spinning and casting rods.

Posted by: warren commander (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: June 23, 2006 06:08PM

I've used them on several spinning rods with good success. None have ever pulled out.

Posted by: Ed Wong (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: June 23, 2006 06:55PM

Use the Forhan locking wrap and the hook keeper will not pull out. See the Library section above for details.
Also consider extending the wrap beyond the hook keeper to protect the blank from the sharp hook points.
Finally, be careful with the epoxy. It likes to wick up into the "hinge" when finishing the wraps.

Ed

Posted by: Robert Gilbertson (---.lew.dialup.fsr.net)
Date: June 23, 2006 07:20PM

Why not point the foot of the hookkeeper toward the tip of the rod?

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 23, 2006 08:41PM

I use them quite a bit and Like Robert and Ed, I usually point the foot towards the rod tip and if not I use the Forhan wrap

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Joe Luebeck (---.stn-co.client.bresnan.net)
Date: June 23, 2006 08:58PM

Thanks all for your input,
I just did a little experimenting with the keeper in question. Reversing it won't work, it just tries to close when it's tensioned. The Forhan wrap will work, I just need to spend some time with it. Also I WILL be on the lookout for epoxy trying to wick itself into the hinge. If anyone has some advice on keeping that from happening I'ld love to hear it.
Thanks again.

Joe Luebeck
Butte, Montana

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 24, 2006 12:22AM

Put some vasaline on the hinge?

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: June 24, 2006 03:22AM

I use them on pretty much all my personal flyrods and have never had one come close to pulling out.

As mentioned,use a Forhan locking wrap on it(see Library for directions).

Posted by: Tom Danielson (---.dtccom.net)
Date: June 24, 2006 06:20PM

I found a neat little hook keeper from REC (left) that has an anvil and ring combination thats lets you wrap both sides of the ring which is all that is exposed when done and lays down nicely when not in use. Ive r eally come to prefer it over the folding type.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster