I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Posting Photos and Leaving Comments
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 23, 2006 04:27PM

I have a couple points and questions regarding posting photos and
posting comments on the photo section here.

First,
Many people post photos without any discription or explanation as to
how their results were achieved or what they are really wanting viewers
to see leaving viewers to guess just what was done and how. Maybe
this is an attempt to illisit questions or just the fact that the postee is to
busy or wishes not to offer any other info. Who knows?
I for one really enjoy the photo posts but I think that those who offer
additional info under the discription and or tital areas are far more
enjoyable and helpful than those who do not.

Second,
A lot of new rod builders and or builders who are entering into a new area
of the craft like thread art, marbling, handle turning, etc: post photos so the more
experienced builders in that particular area can review them and offer comments
of encouragement or offer advise as to how the postee might improve there skill
and then get zero comments or suggestions even after they post on the forum
and request any constructive critisism that someone wishes to offer. I find that a bit
difficult for me to understand sometimes knowing how helpful a very large percentage
of this sites participants try to be. I guees things can get burried and missed pretty
fast though.

Third,
The photo page includes a rating system but I don't remmember the last time I saw
a rating less than a 10 being used. In fact a lot of people don't use the rating area at
all. I guess that people are affraid of hurting the feelings of the postee. My mom always told me "if you don't have something nice to say don't say anything at all" I guess that
sentiment is what is in play here and I am very happy to NEVER see any comments like
"looks like crap!" or "go back to school!" ect.. However, I think many builders who post their photos, do so, hoping for either praise from those they emulate ( a great ego booster!)or some suggestions for getting better results and are hoping for some even "not so positive" opinions and comments.
Why is there a rating area in the first place? If you are one who does not use it. Why?

Any other comments on the subject?

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Posting Photos and Leaving Comments
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 23, 2006 04:32PM

I think you made some great comments here. The only thing I can add, is that the rating system seems a bit out of place for this board. Frankly, if there was some way to remove it from the software, I would. I hate for people to think their work is going to be judged or something by the rating system. While it's rare that anybody really criticizes anyone's else's work (they do sometimes make constructive suggestions, of course) I don't want anyone to be scared off because they feel their work isn't yet up to par with that of others.

Of course, with 2500 photos posted and nearly 3.5 million views in just over a year, maybe I'm worrying about something that isn't happening to begin with.

Date: June 23, 2006 05:05PM

I guess my post could have been sumed up a bit shorter. The main thing I have
noticed in the short time I have been visiting here is that many post only the most
possitive opinions or just don't post at all. Not much inbetween. I have on occassion
noticed something on a photo post and rather than make a comment that might be
taken wrong on the photo page I refrained and sent the postee a private email instead.
When starting this thread I completley forgot about and failed to mention that option.

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 23, 2006 06:02PM

Ray ,Got to agree with the rating system concern.I simply dont use it because the curve is not used.Jim Upton got only 10s on the baby dragon(the same I got on a basic guide wrap).In my opinon there is no 1 or 10 unless something like the baby dragon comes along.There always has to be a buffer in case something better comes along.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: June 23, 2006 06:09PM

I agree with that Fred! Compaired to that dragon and many other dazzeling works
like Terry Henson's and others, if they are 10's, best I can hope for is a .1!

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 23, 2006 06:47PM

Ray; Everyone has to start somewhere sometime so I for one would never make negative comments about any one's work. In fact I'll try to be encouraging if I can. I also don't like to make a post on every picture because I think it gets to be a bit gratuitous. I do however send a private E-Mail on occasion when I think I might be of help. I think your comment about putting some information at the bottom is great. I too like to know what the poster did etc.

Date: June 23, 2006 07:15PM

Hi Jim,

I agree whole heartedly. Negative comments don't help anyone and can be taken out of context and really achieve opposite results. I guess that's why a lot more builders refrain from posting
constructive critiques on the board. However, if done well I think most builders would welcome them. I guess it's a tough balancing act for sure.

Raymond Adams

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 23, 2006 07:20PM

Hi Ray.

I can trully see your concern and sometimes feel a bit like you. I try very hard to make comments(expecially on thread art) on vitrually every person that posts. When I comment I try to take into consideration the level at which the individual professes to be. If I see glaring problems areas I sometimes make a comment to try to help but in some cases I may not if I dont think that person is ready for the info. I always lean towards the encouragement side of things. As to marbling and other stuff that I am not as well versed I make comments only from the beauty side of the equation because I can appreciate others hard work in those areas. As the the point system. Sorry got no love for that part guess that is why I dont like things like "American Idol". I know I dont like being graded by anyone. Your either like the work you see or you dont. Too much room the other way for favoritism. I have always believe this thread work, marbling, lathe work and in fact the whole rod in some ways is art and a good artist knows where he is in the pecking order, no one need tell him. The work does all the speaking. If you dont see my comments on someones thread work specifically it probably means I missed seeing it because sometimes things move thru there rather quickly.

Thanks for kinda reminding us all the importance of the comments in the gallery.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 23, 2006 07:57PM

The page does get a ton of traffic, but keep in mind the photos remain up, forever (or for as long as I live and can continue to pay for the site hosting anyway).

The photos may move off the "most recent" page but remain on the photo site. You just have to go into the categories and see them page by page. None are ever removed.

If you miss a few days, just hit the page numbers for a couple or three pages and you can see anything you might have missed when it first went up.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 23, 2006 08:40PM

If you click on MEMBERS GALLERIES you can choose 1 day, 7 days, 14 days or ALL (230 pages of pix) You don't have to pick a particularr members gallery - Just click on Members Gallery to get the choices. On the old Photo Page, these options were on the main page. I think that one problem is that often times the pix don't even last a full day on the main screen and most don't realize that you can go through them

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Darin Travis (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 23, 2006 08:56PM

I agree with all of you. Since I am a newbie and just started to post photo's of the wraps i've done, I really do appreciate constructive criticism and welcome comments for improvement as well as ideas. This board is the best thing I've found for the craft of rod building. Most any question I have can be found with a search along with the answers. Thanks again

Darin Travis

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 23, 2006 09:58PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2006 10:51PM by Michael Joyce.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: June 23, 2006 11:43PM

I would enjoy seeing specific thread details with the weave photos, i.e., threads used, width and length of design, wrap thread used, wrap thread weight used, etc. Several folks provide a lot of this info already and it's very useful for folks new to weaving.
Stan

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: June 24, 2006 08:27AM

Truth is I welcome insight from other builders. I don't have the experience of many and a comment about doing something a bit different helps. But when it comes to colors etc, we all have differing tastes. But craftsmanship, procedure, and quality is always going to be the same.

Date: June 24, 2006 10:43AM

My Sentiments as well Scott,

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but construction, fit, and finish are the
things that really matter most. If I see a photo post where the colors just
dont catch my eye or the cork arraingement is "not my cup of tea" but the
rod is built well with a nice fit and finish I like to say so. Especially if they
are a new builder. Compliments breeds confidences and thoughtful observations
helps them and other viewers learn. IMHO

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 24, 2006 05:10PM

I'm not one to hold my tongue, if I see something glaringly wrong, I'll bring it up. I honestly rather e-mail it out of the pubic eye, but tehre are no e-mail addy's attached to teh poster, which is the only problem I have with teh photo PAge.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster