I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Eva cutting?
Posted by: Jack Goodwin (---.caltel.com)
Date: June 18, 2006 10:54AM

What is the best way to cut an eva grip? I have a power miter saw for finish wood. Would that work? I know a little over kill but It will give me a square cut. When done can i just sand the edges to make them round again?
Thanks Jack

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2006 10:55AM by Jack Goodwin.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Eva cutting?
Posted by: John Bumstead (---.s99.apx1.lnh.md.dialup.rcn.com)
Date: June 18, 2006 11:03AM

Jack: Does the EVA already have a hole bored through the center? Are you just cutting to length? If so, spin the EVA and cut it with a piece of fishing line. Mono, braided, etc. John

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 18, 2006 11:42AM

Do as John says - no need to use power saws for cutting EVA.

Posted by: David von Doehren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 18, 2006 12:28PM

Hi John, I'm going to try Miter Saw , fastest way to cut it. Sanding, DRYWALL , mesh type, 120 & 220 grit, the the mesh allows material to come out openings, so it will not clog up standard paper pours.

Dave von Doehren
PRRODS......If man built it , man can fix it.and if man built it man can break it !

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 18, 2006 01:55PM

BEst way I found to cut it is with size D thread on a lathe. For a 1/32" ring, I have to use a razor blade held with a vice grip.

Sanding, I much prefer a 40 grit piece of paper from a 1" wide sanding belt with some sort of coatin on it. The one I have is Red, and I've used the same 2 pieces of sandpaper to sand over 100 grips at high speed (4000rpm). The sanding screen is good, but takes a lot longer than 40 grit.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2006 03:23PM

That thread or braid trick sounds so simple it's BRILLIANT!! I have always just
use a sharp serated knife which cuts great but hard to get a perfectly straight
cut every time and have to get the block sander once in a while. I tried the blade
and rod lathe but the blade will FLY if not really careful.
String! now why didn't I think of that?

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.134.29.71.ip.alltel.net)
Date: June 18, 2006 04:06PM

String is the only way to go. When I did my first EVA grip I didn't have any kind of lathe, so I put the EVA on a piece of threaded rod and chucked it in my drill. Had my daughter hold the drill, and I held the D thread. It was amazing how easy it cuts - like a knife through warm butter.
Steve Broadwell

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 18, 2006 04:07PM

Until you get really good at judging widths - and at some point you will and just do this by hand, stick a short piece of masking tape on the grip material to mark the width of your cut. As the EVA spins in the lathe, the short piece of tape will blur into a continuous straight line and you can use that as a cutting guide for the spot to bring your string/thead/line onto.

After a few dozen, you can almost just guage this by eye and find that you can pretty accurately cut repetitive 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 and even 1/32nd inch widths.

One caveat - I wouldn't wrap any of the kevlar or super braid lines around my fingers. If something were to get caught you'll get a nasty cut. Use A or D thread which will break before anything goes terribly amiss. If you want to use the braid, stretch it between two sticks or the frame of one of the short, cheap hand hobby saws.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 19, 2006 06:18AM

A little trick I use to get the rings uniform in thickness is an adjustable wire cheese cutter(the one with the rollerbehind the wire) .Set the thickness and use it to score the eva while it is spinning then finish with D thread.These can be had cheap at any food store.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster