I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Resin question
Posted by: craig johnson (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: June 07, 2006 09:07AM

This problem is driveing me insane, i live in australia, no excuse but it makes things harder 2 get, i use flex coat resin, i DO use medical syringes, i wash them before i use them with acidtone, i do mix in plastic cups which i buy at the local shops, i also wash them before use, my problem is,,, i put a nice coat of resin on, then after 10 or so, give or take a few min, i get thinning where i can see the treads, plus i get crators, this is driving me insane, is it the syringes ect or something else i am doing wrong, from what i have read on this site resining should be easy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Resin question
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: June 07, 2006 09:27AM

I'm betting the problem is in the syringes. Many medical syringes use a silicone plunger or gasket. Silicone and rod finish don't mix. Try the flex coat or trondak syringes and I'd bet that your troubles will vanish.

Date: June 07, 2006 09:49AM

thanks 4 the post mick, it was what i was thinking, i have tryed just about every other thing 2 try and stop it happpening, my hands have never been cleaner, lol, it is just so hard over here, i live in Qld, brisbane , Australia, most places i have approched want me 2 have a shop front, i am repairing rods from home, not makeing much money but haveing heaps of enjoyment from this hobby

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 07, 2006 09:58AM

You can also measure with the stainless steel measuring spoons available from a hardware or grocery store. The 1/4 teaspoon should be the smallest one you use to prevent volumetric error. Contamination problems with finish can really cause a lot of problems. Billy V reported that he has some unusual problems occur when he was getting rods ready for the NC deal last February. He was transporting rods from place to place in an automobile. I am helping a guy get started and he moved some rods in his truck across town in heavy traffic. You would not believe the craters and splotchy appearance of his finish. I would almost bet that emissions from automobiles in the air will cause horrible finish problems. In your case the silicone deal looks dead on. I have used the spoons for the past six years with absolutely no problems with any of the finishes.

Date: June 07, 2006 10:08AM

Thank u 4 the post bill, as i said i am in Australia, i have read about the stainless steel measuring spoons, i have tryed hardwares, grocery, hobby and craft stores, seems we r slow over here, but they all said they use 2 stock them, go figure, as i said this is driveing me insane, i would buy off the USA but freight is hardly worth some syringes, maybe i will have 2 buy some blanks ect, looking like it

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: June 07, 2006 10:28AM

Craig, try contacting The Rodworks in the sponsor list.

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: June 07, 2006 10:30AM

Craig :
You must want to get everything wholesale, thats why they want you to have a store front, and I've heard the excise/import tax (possible not the name for this postal tax) on products shipped abroad (over there from here)..You might have to buy some stuff retail and pay the extra freight for select items of necessity, and yes it makes it even harder to make money, but here to make money you need to buy wholesale which envolves a sales tax license, that means you have to submit quarterly sales, and a business license, plus deal with FICA withholdings for any employees Then some of the larger distributors here also want to to have a store front, but in the least start out with some sort of min order which may be over a 1000 and want orders to be of a certain size to forgo shipping charges. Some smaller localized distriburors over here (US) just want your sales tax license number and then there is the min yearly initial order thing to deal with and most always a min order amount after that to avoid shipping charges. (which can be a low as a $100) I would hope there should be something like that in AUSSIELAND but from here it is just talk..but there is a big difference between a hobby as you state and a money making operation which requires wholesale purchasing so you can mark things up to ther normal retail and make that profit also. You'll find that even with a wholsale license and then profit gained for having it; custom rod building is still a labor intense endevor and most hobbiest just try and make some money to cover their own builds and its break even operational type hobby for the most part.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-92.myvzw.com)
Date: June 07, 2006 10:37AM

Contact Ross Van Eckenvort at the Rodworks in Australia. He is a ThreadMaster distributor and carries our syringes which are guaranteed silicone and latex free.....he's also a sponsor on this board.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing Products

Date: June 07, 2006 10:53AM

i have been 2 the rodworks web site, no where there do they say they sell syringes, i do like there veriety of tread thou, i will ring and ask tomorrow, if they will sell 2 me,
Thanks 4 your reply Chris, i am a small business repairing rods, learning as i go thanks 2 this site, i do not want 2 go whole sale, i only want some syringes, lol, it just is so hard 2 get any one 2 deal with me, every place i find seems 2 be a big company and want the same from me, no shop front no go, frustrating

Date: June 07, 2006 11:20AM

craig...you need to CALL Ross, they may not be on his website yet.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Date: June 07, 2006 11:21AM

craig...you need to CALL Ross, they may not be on his website yet.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: Grant Darby (169.204.109.---)
Date: June 07, 2006 02:35PM

You might have missed something obvious....don't clean everything with acetone before use. Dust can be wiped off with a dry brush, but the acetone just could be introducing all sorts of nasty stuff to your finish.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: June 07, 2006 10:03PM

Craig,

Could the thread you're using be the problem? Most embrodiery threads have a bit of silicone applied. These require a few coats of color presever to overcome the thread coating.

If you're cleaning the syringes and mixing container with acetone, then you should be home-free with those items. What are you using to mix the resin with and what threads are you using?

Figure out at what stage potential contamination is occurring for the procedures you're using.

Stan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster