I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spline Finder
Posted by: Darryl LaRocque (---.dhcp.bbcy.ca.charter.com)
Date: May 20, 2006 07:56PM

Does anybody have plans for a spline finder, or even a good picture of one would do. I need to build one.
Thanks, Darryl

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spline Finder
Posted by: Ernie Johnson (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: May 20, 2006 08:06PM

Posted by: Darryl LaRocque (---.dhcp.bbcy.ca.charter.com)
Date: May 20, 2006 08:58PM

thanks, I'll get to it ASAP

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 20, 2006 09:15PM

It's even simpler than that, and doesn't take up bench space. Get the pair of sleeve bearings and orient them in the jaws of a Black & Decker workmate so that you can insert the butt section through both bearings. Lever down on the blank section and the spine pops right to the top. Remove the bearings when finished and store in a small zip lock bag. This, of course, requires a B&D workmate.

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Brad Rodgers (---.sttnwaho.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: May 21, 2006 02:14AM

I was at a rod building workshop in Woodland a while back in April and one of the presenters just mounted a couple of rubber skate board wheels mounted next to each other just so they weren't touching each other on a piece of what looked like 4" aluminum channel. He then put the butt end of a blank between the two skate board wheels and pressed down and the spline popped right up. I've been looking to make one since then but haven't found the time.

BjR

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: May 21, 2006 07:27AM

I found bearings at Agri Supply for $2.88 lot of sizes to choose from. These one fit perfect into 2'' pipe which work perfect forthe set up sghown in the library

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: May 21, 2006 07:31AM

Why don't you just do it the old fashion way, by hand, take about 2 seconds and the spine will bounce right at you... rotate it with one hand while applying lite pressure at the tip with your other hand.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: May 21, 2006 07:51AM

I have seen something similar with the inline skate wheels. What he said was it is less damaging to the blank on the wheels then putting the blank on the floor or table.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.72.34.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: May 21, 2006 07:58AM

I'm with Art. To me, a spline finder is a waste of good cash and/or effort to build. They all work the same way as you would find it by hand, and you just don't need a ball bearing system to find the spine.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 21, 2006 08:01AM

I used the method Art suggested for many years but found that when I applied the technique to golf club shafts my supporting hand caused too much friction. So I rigged up bearings and used a third bearing on the tip of the shaft to eliminate friction. It was natural to apply the same technique to fishing rod blanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster