I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Closed Wraps
Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 19, 2006 10:05AM

OK, I don't do many closed wraps. The reason is two fold. Number one, and the biggest reason is I not very good at it. Number two is the time involved and my customers unwillingness to pay for them. So I stick to the open wraps.

With that said, I am working on a gift rod for my son and would like to do a closed wrap. My question and problem is this, what do you guys do to keep your threads from loosening up?

Everything goes great for awhile, then once several passes have been made, the once tight threads are starting to loosen up. By the time I'm ready to start closing the wrap, some of the threads are so loose the pattern is starting to distort.

This is going to be my THIRD stab at it! Any and all help will be appreciated.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Closed Wraps
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: May 19, 2006 10:21AM

Wahtever you use to hold the threads at teh end is not holding the threads tight enough. Also, if you are coming down off teh grip you tend to lose tension towards that part of teh wrap. If you are wrapping threads under tight tension, and are doing a lot of packing, this tends to loosen up teh first threads you laid down.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 19, 2006 10:24AM

I think it is pretty much the nature of the beast Doug. Things you might try: alter your normal wrapping pressure. Try either more or less. I frequently press the threads together during the wrap so I dont have so much tightening to do at one time.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: May 19, 2006 10:27AM

I try to lay the threads as tight as I can against the previous ones so when packing, I don't have to move them too much. I use a new piece of tape for each pass of thread. I also use good tape. If you use the blue masking tape, you have to be careful what "level" of adhesive you get. They aren't all the same. Look on the plastic wrapping and there will be a range of stickiness marked on it. One roll might be real sticky and the next will be next to useless for anything at all. I didn't pay attention to this the last time I bought tape and got a low rated one. I can tape on guides, sit back, and literally watch the tape unroll itself until the tape and guides fall off the rod. Trying to use it to hold buttwraps is impossible. It sticks and then within minutes it comes undone.

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 19, 2006 10:47AM

Thanks guys. I just cut the darn thing off and am getting ready to start over. I think maybe I'm using to much tension trying to get things to tight. I'll let off a little and see what happens.

Billy, Mick you may be right. I was using masking tape, but I have some double sided tape and think I'll try that this time around.

Again guys, thanks for your help! If I could get this darn thing to look half as good as the work I've seen y'all do, I'd be happier than a two petered puppy.

Like they say: "Third times a charm"... Well we'll see.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Grant Darby (169.204.109.---)
Date: May 19, 2006 10:48AM

Two sided carpet tape will help you. Make sure that you are not pulling your tape bands at either end of the wrap towards each other by applying too much thread tension. They have to be well attached to the blank at the top and the foregrip or reel seat at the bottom. You can get a bunch of passes out of one wrap of the carpet tape.

Date: May 19, 2006 10:56AM

I usually can do an entire closed wrap using only 3 layers of double sided tape, and I only use it on one side of the wrap. I wrap with a TON of tension, more than most people. I don't worry to much about laying threads close ot teh previous pass, I do my best and pack it all tight later in one shot (after 5 or 6 or 7 passes)

Everyone does things differently, I have been fortunate enough to figure out a method which works well for me, but after seeing others wrap, I see there are many, many ways to skin a cat. Practice practice practice.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.9.108.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 19, 2006 10:56AM

I use 1 1/2 " masking tape to hold the thread ends. Add tape often. When there is so much on the tape it does not stick and the thread loosens up. The wider tape gives me more sticky surface.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (162.96.169.---)
Date: May 19, 2006 12:29PM

I usually only have a problem with threads coming loose when I am wrapping with bands of thread and since I am just starting to wrap with bands of thread at one time I am still trying to work out a complete solution. I just try to make sure that when I am starting or finishing I press the threads firmly into the tape, that seems to help a lot. I use double sided carpet tape and I wrap pretty tight too. I have dug out a loose thread and got enough of a grip on it to pull it tight and re-anchor it to salvage a couple hours work.

Date: May 19, 2006 12:48PM

OK, OK, OK, I'll give out my last secret for the day - Scott. Don't bother pressing it into the tape. You know how you start a guide wrap and wrap over teh tag end? Do the same on the tape, the threads will break before pulling loose.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (162.96.169.---)
Date: May 19, 2006 02:13PM

Hey thanks Billy!! Every little tip helps:-)

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dllstx.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 19, 2006 03:11PM

Great tip Billy! Thanks!

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (66.252.177.---)
Date: May 20, 2006 06:52AM

Billy,I caught you doing that(although you did not say you were doing it when you did it) in Charlotte but figured the trick was yours and did not let the cat out the bag.The credit was your to be taken.It pays to be real observant...

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster