I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Calstar blank numbers
Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 26, 2006 07:39AM

I was looking at the Calstar Grafighters and trying to figure out their numbering system. What is the difference in the GF7455-7460s and the GF755-760s? The GF7460H has all the same numbers as the GF760H with the exception of the butt diameter....and the price. Just trying to figure out what's what.

Thanks,
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Calstar blank numbers
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: April 26, 2006 07:56AM

The "4" series is for Rail rods. They have an EXTREME amount of power in the butt, they shut off way up the blank - literally teh bottom half of the blank will not bend on a 7465M. For PB fishign where someone will use the Rail, you can really lay the boots on a fish with the 4 series. Using the rail with the standard series will still kick the fish's butt, but the rod will bend more and make you work a little bit harder. The 4 series is NOT a good choice for someone fishing standup or from a private boat, unless they are a beast.

Date: April 26, 2006 10:44AM

Gotcha! Thanks Billy for clearing that up for me. A guy asked about building a red snapper rod for him and I don't think the 7460 would be the right blank. May just go with the 760M. He said he was using a Trinadad 50 with 80# braid.

Thanks,
Steve

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 26, 2006 12:50PM

I have a 760M I built for my son, great 60# rod, the 760H is a great 80# rod.
the 60 designates 6 feet, the 765 designates 6.5 feet long.

Date: April 26, 2006 02:01PM

I understood that part Jim but I didn't know what the "4" was for as in a GF7460M. I built a few of the 760Hs and the guy I built them for was quite pleased.

Them fat blanks are great for weaves aren't they Jim? LOL

Thanks,
Steve

Posted by: Harold Lang (---.66.15.137.145.gte.net)
Date: April 27, 2006 09:33PM

The "4" in the series numbers applies to how fast the rod is, and runs the same for Calstar and Seekers rods.
A glass 6460XH is a good 60# stick. The 660XH is also, but bends more parabolic towards the butt.
Same with a 6455 vs 655. Faster shut off with the "4" in the numbers.
Ditto for the Graphiters.
A 7460H will do about 5# more drag than the 760H, and shuts off further out the blank, or is faster.

I prefer the faster blank for fishing structure, and the slower shutoff where I don't have much chance of getting rocked.

Also, some Calstars fish at the top end of their rating, like the 7465M rated 40-100, or the Baja Boomer rated OMYGOD.

If you look up the blanks on their website, Leon has started adding preferred line rating there.
It's much more acurate than the 40-100 thing.

I find the seekers about 1/2X softer than Calstars, and they tend to have a more parabolic bend throughout the line up, with a few exceptions.
I tried to stiffen a 655XXH by running longer underwraps, but it really didn't work on a heavy stick. It still ran out of lifting power. I found the fast shut off of the 6455XXH to add considerably to the lifting power in that particular 5'5" stick.
I'm blessed to live in an area where I can go to a tackle shop and pull on a rod. I prefer to mount a reel and lift the drag weight I intend to fish + 20%.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster