I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Restoring old steel, wood handled musky rod
Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: April 26, 2006 09:27AM

Ok, I just got a "gift" from a friend - old rod, I believe the blank is tubular steel - but not positive. The handle is wood, with some nice knurling to it - a very unique looking rod, I'm sure it is a musky rod from way back when (I'm in Wisconsin, old musky rods are common) However, this one is very unique in appearance. I'm looking for suggestions/comments on how to restore this rod - I'd love to hang it on the wall, not fish with it. I need to clean up/refinish the handle and blank, as well as locate 2 missing guides and rewrap the rod. Also, it has a rubber butt cap that will need to be replaced. Maybe I should figure out how to post pics and put a couple up on here...

Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Restoring old steel, wood handled musky rod
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: April 26, 2006 10:06AM

This depends alot on the look you want to get: anywhere from "Rustic" to "Like New".

It's sentimental value is whatever you decide it has to you.

And it's cash value is never more than what you can snag for it in 10 days of idle advertising, IMO.

Probably some of the other guys can help with where to find line guides for this rod. I have never even seen a steel musky rod, so that's that.

Rich, I will say that if you decide to totally re-surface the wood handle, use a good wood stain product and a good compatible water-proof WOOD finish.

Do NOT use a rod-builder's finish over the wood stain or over the raw wood itself. I once used a touch-up stain instead of a bonafide product over the whole handle, and then covered it with Crystal Coat epoxy thread finish. While the Crystal Coat was great on the raw fiberglass rod blank I was re-surfacing, the CC was NOT adhering properly to the wood & stain. It did not spread perfectly evenly because of the wrong "wetting" or surface tension. Maybe I needed to sand it lightly between the stain and the epoxy (which that much younger man did not do), and that would have helped. BUt my advice, if you re-surface the wood, is to use wood products on wood and not rod products. Like that sophomore ("wise fool") did !!!

Good Luck, RIch.
-Cliff Hall+++, FL-USA

Re: Concept Oops! The Ratio & Loaded Cone Method
Rich Handrick 08-04-05 14:51
"A crappie I caught the other day was wondering about my guide spacing. He actually criticized my butt guide placement, saying “ it was clearly too close to the foregrip”. I ate him. " -Rich Handrick, Wisconsin.

Posted by: Larry Salter (---.127-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: April 26, 2006 12:44PM

I put mine on lathe and sand and then apply Tru oil till I get it like I want it then buff out. You need to post pictures of the guides so that everyone can look at them

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: April 26, 2006 03:39PM

I would do some checking first, to find out if it happens be one of the older rods that are worth some money. Refurbishing it may ruin that value

Posted by: Bill Rice (---.254.146.214.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: April 27, 2006 06:17AM

Rich:

IMO. Don't sand any of the handle-- It is knurled.... Use a stripper and clean out the knurled area with a brass brush . Brush it on as say the directions, use eye protection and a good pair of rubber gloves. Then a good coat of true oil is great .
Also when you are done with it ,don't hang it , FISH IT !!! My real old stuff STILL likes to go fishing too. Well so do I. ( I remember when most of it was state of the art!!!) LOL

TIght Lines
Bill Rice

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: April 27, 2006 08:50AM

Thanks for all the help guys - I'll try to get some pics posted. The handle doesn't appear to have any finish on it, but I'll probably hit it with a light stripper just for good measure - then either true oil or pure Tung oil is what I'm thinking. I'm curious as to the best way to refinish the blank, if it is in fact steel - could I just dremel it with a buffing pad to clean it up? Then what to coat it with?

I'd fish it, but I'm not much of a musky guy - I just think it's such a cool looking rod I want to display it somehow...

Thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster