I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Aluminum Oxide vs. SIC
Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: April 07, 2006 09:44AM

I'm in the process of building a plugging rod for the surf, and while I haven't determined final guide placement yet, I'm contemplating what kind of guides I'm going to end up putting on the finished rod.

In the past, I've used Aluminum Oxide (Fuji BSVOG) guides on my rods, and I've been very pleased with the results. For this rod, though, I was intending to go the whole nine yards, and so I was planning on using silicon carbide (Fuji SVSG).

I just did an estimate on the cost of the guides, though, and SVSG will be around $60, while BSVOG will be around $11. My question, then, is whether it's worth the extra money. I don't mind spending money if it brings a result, but in general I think that in any area, the "new big thing" is overpriced, and doesn't deliver benefits commensurate with its cost.

So will I notice, when fishing, a difference in performance between aluminum oxide and SiC? Or is it just an "I've got SiC guides" status thing?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Aluminum Oxide vs. SIC
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 07, 2006 10:10AM

I did a search and found this
[www.rodbuilding.org]

and this
[www.rodbuilding.org]

And this
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Hope this helps

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2006 10:21AM by Raymond_Adams.

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: April 07, 2006 10:22AM

The SIC's cost an arm and a leg, always have and will. They may be lighter and harder over 2000 on the vickers scale, but I have trouble justifiying the cost. This leaves you with Alu. Qxide guides which is the basic make-up of most other guides on the market and the Fuji's your using are under 1400 hardness, the next most reasonable step up are the Fuji Alconite guides at 1700 for approx $23 a set. This does not break the bank and they are stil lighter in comparision (depending on ring size) but you can clearly see there is not as much, or as thick, an amount of ring material on Alconite guides. I'd try theses before I jumped into the SIC,s which I save for all out no expense spared CA-CHING rods

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: April 07, 2006 12:11PM

CHRIS GARRITY: SEARCH = "HALL VICKERS SIC"
AUTHOR + TEXT + SUBJECT. LAST 90 days or YEAR

THANKS RAY ADAMS, - GOTTA RUN - Cliff Hall+++

Date: April 07, 2006 12:34PM

Thanks for the links to previous posts. I did do some searching before I posted the topic -- I wouldn't want to put up a subject that was discussed a month ago --and while I found a whole bunch of technical discussions, I didn't see my question -- "Are they worth it?" -- addressed. I've learned a lot about the technical aspects of guide rings, but I was wondering whether anyone had an opinion on whether any performance benefits justify the enormous increase in cost SiC guides represent.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.225.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 07, 2006 12:47PM

IMHO - no. But then again I would not use aluminum oxide guides.

Posted by: mike Oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 07, 2006 02:13PM

Chris,

Std Fuji Aluminium Oxide rings have stood the test of time. I have them on my 11 foot 3oz Striper pluging rod. I run 50 lb power pro on it. No grooving in 7 years. The sic are harder of course but the frames of the SVSG pattern will still rust in salt water. For me in the salt it's either bite a very big bullet and go to Titaniums or go to the other end of the scale and settle for the excellent std Oxide guide. If I was fishing fresh water then the sic would definataly be on the agenda.

You won't cast any further with the sics and they don't feel any better either on the retrive. Alconites may just interest you, but at the end of the day whatever you choose is going to work very well.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 07, 2006 03:39PM

I would use the aluminum oxide. As far as I know, most of the ring material, with the exception of SIC are a form of aluminum oxide (alconite, Nannolite, etc. are trade names - no such material actually exists as far as I could find) Bill, you are probably using aluminum oxide since you like the Titans and alconites.

With today's aluminum oxide guides, they are all more than strong enough to handle anything that you can throw at them. There are hundreds of Lake Erie charter boats that are trolling 8 hours a day with Fireline on $49 rods with the cheapest guides made on them and I have never seen a groove in one. I do a lot of repairs on them but all due to abuse and never saw a grooved guide.

I wouldn't think that a few grams difference on a surf rod would justify the price difference, other than braggin' rights!

I have never built a surf rod but I have used SIC (customer's choice) and could not see any noticeable difference in performance. Just my opinion

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: April 07, 2006 03:53PM

Thanks, Mike -- that's exactly what I was thinking, but was looking for confirmation from someone else, because (naturally) someone else's opinions are much more valid than yours (sometimes, anyway). I've been very pleased with aluminum oxide guides, and I think I'll stick with them.

Date: April 07, 2006 04:03PM

!@#$%^&*&^%$#@! !!!!

Raymond Adams

Date: April 07, 2006 04:04PM

Speak up, Raymond!! LOL

Mike

Date: April 07, 2006 04:08PM

Na, Better refrain.
Already fell off my soapbox once recently!

Raymond Adams

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2006 04:12PM by Raymond_Adams.

Posted by: jOE BRENNER (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: April 07, 2006 04:30PM

Chris,

SIC guides are not new.......I have a rod from the 80's with them. It was a high end rod at the time. They are still the best almost 30 years later nobody has found a better material....that is something.

Are they worth the extra cost? Up to the person building the rod. I have never had an aluminum oxide guide fail !

Date: April 07, 2006 05:05PM

AWWWW! c'mon, Ray!!!!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.168.76.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 07, 2006 05:40PM

If you like them then use them !!?? I will use what I want -- if you don't mind ?????? Just like the ti guides. You buy the Fuji just because of the name ?? If I am asked to use them I will. My own use, can not see wasting the money with all the other rings out there that are as good and even better.

Posted by: john chase (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 08, 2006 03:54PM

I am a fan of the Sic and use lots of them as my go to guide. I think fopr the budget, the Alconite is a good bargain and has the same Stainless frame as the Sic with a less costly ring material. One thing about the Alconites is, they can take more of a hit than Sic.
As for skimping on guides? If you are using a good blank like a Lami, Sage, GUSA etc. why not continue the quality of the components.
Kinda like driving a Mercedes with Off brand tires. Good tires really matter! So do guides, especially with lighter lines. I have sawn through 12 lb line in less than a 30 seconds with Hardalloy, while after five minutes the Sic was doing fine and I could not see any visibly damaged line surface.
I'll leave the results of this to your own thoughts {:-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster