I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alconite - Is it zirconium or premium aluminum oxide?
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 08, 2006 10:02AM

I've heard both.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alconite - Is it zirconium or premium aluminum oxide?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2006 11:06AM

According to American Tackle the zirconia ring is a little harder than the alconite. SiC is a little harder than the zirconia.

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.180.---)
Date: March 08, 2006 12:03PM

Alconite is a high grade of aluminum oxide and I think that American Tackle's Nanolite is as well. As Spencer points out zerconium is an entirely different material with a higher Vicker's hardness than aluminum oxide. The zerconium guide inserts also have a vacuum chamber deposited coating on them that gives them the color and the coating is even harder and smoother than the zerconium itself. If I remember correctly the coating is silicon nitride for one of the colors and I can not recall what it is on the other colors

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: March 08, 2006 01:44PM

VICKER'S HARDNESS SCALE:

Stainless Steel (SS): 200
Chrome: 800-1000
Aluminum Oxide: 1200-1400
Alconite: 1700
Zirconia: 1400-1800
NANOLITE: 1800
SiC: 2200-2400

ALL of these materials are SUFFICIENTLY HARD to make good guide rings.

ALL of the CERAMICS (Aluminum Oxide, Hardloy, Hialoy, Alconite, Zirconia, NanoLite, Silicon Nitride-SiN and Silicon Carbide-SiC) are MUCH HARDER than any metals (SS, Steel Files, Chrome) and HARDER than any SILICA (sand) or QUARTZ, and ANY of the CERAMICS make GREAT RING GUIDES.

However Silicon Carbide is indisputably the hardest among those listed above.

Re: SiC guides ... Cliff Hall ... Nov. 3, 2005 06:11PM
[www.rodbuilding.org]
Guide Ring Ceramics Compared to Silicon Carbide (SIC):

Re: SiC guides ... Mark Gibson ... Nov. 6, 2005 09:10AM
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2006 02:03PM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.180.---)
Date: March 08, 2006 05:29PM

Cliff,
I have a different set of Vicker's hardness numbers than you do but Aluminum Oxide is available in a range of different grades with different Vicker's hardness. Plus the Zirconium inserts are PVD coated.
Gold=Titanium Nitrate coated
Silver=Titanium Hydrogenation coated
Blue=Titanium Oxide ocated
All three of these PVD coatings have a higher Vickers hardness than the underlying zerconium. The PVD coatings are also smoother resulting in a lower coefficient of friction.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.243.2.211.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: March 08, 2006 06:00PM

Marty,
Following up on what Cliff listed, I found that zirconia is actually zirconium dioxide rather than the metal zirconium, which is quite soft in its pure form. Pac Bay, Batson, and American Tackle all coat their zirconia rings with, Tutanium Nitride ( 2500-3000 Vicker's Scale), Titanium Carbide (1900-2400 Vicker's Scale), and Titanium Oxide (I didn't check that). I wonder why Titanium carbide is often listed in the catalogs as TiCh? As I understand it from the various catlaogs, these materials are vapor deposited on the surface of the zirconia.

Cliff, where did you find the information on Nanolite and Alconite materials? Send me an e-mail if you wish.

Thanks,

Mike Blomme

Date: March 08, 2006 07:01PM

Cliff, where did you find the information on
Nanolite - JOE MEEHAN, AM-TAC
and
Alconite - MARK GIBSON, Material Sci./Eng.
materials?

SEE [www.rodbuilding.org]

GOTTA RUN, ... Later - c.midnite. -Cliff Hall+++

Re: Nanolite vs. SiC help ... Joe Meehan ... July 26, 2005 10:28AM
[www.rodbuilding.org]
Hi Guys, - The Nanolite ring is around 1800 VH just under SiC @ 2200. The ring like SiC, will handle wire line in recreational situations, and will certainly stand up to the various super braids. The extra hardness of SiC is just not worth it, in our opinion. ... Joe Meehan joe@americantackle.us

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2006 11:28PM by Cliff Hall.

Date: March 09, 2006 10:25AM

VICKER'S HARDNESS SCALE Values
for Line Guide Ring Materials 2005

Stainless Steel (SS): 400 [B.E.]
Chrome: 800-1000 [C.M.]
Carbaloy: 1000 [B.E.]
Aluminum Oxide: 1200-1400 [B.E., C.M.]
Alconite (Fuji): 1300-1500 [Fuji]
NanoLite (Titan): 1800 [J.M.]
Zirconia: 1000-1400 [M.G.]
Zirconia PVD: 1600 [B.E.]
SiC: 2200-2400 [B.E., C.M.]

ALL of these materials are SUFFICIENTLY HARD to make good guide rings.

ALL of the CERAMICS (Aluminum Oxide, Hardloy, Hialoy, Alconite, NanoLite, Zirconia, Silicon Nitride-SiN and Silicon Carbide-SiC) are HARDER than any metals (SS, Steel Files, Chrome) and HARDER than any SILICA (sand) or QUARTZ. Therefore, ANY of the CERAMICS make GREAT RING GUIDES.

However Silicon Carbide is indisputably the hardest among those listed above.

REFERENCES:
[B.E.] = BATSON ENTERPRISES ForeCast Components 2005 Catalog, page 2.
[C.M.] = Corrosion Management (May 2003), pp. 16-22.
[J.M.] = Joe Meehan, American Tackle – on RBO Forum –
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[M.G.] = Mark Gibson, Material Sci./Eng. – on RBO Forum
[www.rodbuilding.org]

-Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA*****

Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 17, 2017 09:47AM

Will the metal ones be "sufficiently hard" to handle braid? I built a rod with Minimas for my daughter. After losing a fish to lighter mono and feeling the properties of the blank, I decided it would be better for her to use braid. All she really does is throw out dough bait for catfish, and using heavier (but thinner) braid will help prevent break offs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster