I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alconite vs. silicon carbide and Recoil
Posted by: Patrick Heintz (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2006 02:53PM

I'm hoping to build a Sig V 4 wt fly rod in the near future, and would like to use Alconite single foot guides...reasonably priced, and I'm a sucker for polished chrome. Would they work well, or are they really significantly heavier than REC recoils and Fuji silicon carbide guides? A related thread discussed the latter 2 types, but not the Alconites.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alconite vs. silicon carbide and Recoil
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 29, 2006 03:31PM

I don't have the weights to compare, but I can say that the Alconites are a very nice, light guide and many builders use them on fly rods (myself included, although I don't do many) The SIC are lighter but whether there is enough difference to justify the much higher price, is up to you. Personally, I'd go with Alconites unless someone else was footing the bill!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: January 29, 2006 04:36PM

I like the Chrome Alconites and a step above the FUJI Hardloy's that dosent break the bank , and at least the chrome are seldom seen compared to the black framed version. With the guide feet ground the SF's weigh= CLAG 8mm=.35 gr. CLAG 7mm=.25 gr. CLAG 6mm=.20 gr. CFAT-6mm TIP 4.5=.50 gr.
The SIC's may be lighter but only marginally as the Alconites are suposidly some 35% lighter than the Hardloy, is it worth the big dollar for the extra nomimal amount of weight and other benefits they provide?

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.011.dsl.qld.iprimus.net.au)
Date: January 29, 2006 04:55PM

Which sponsors have Recoil guides.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: January 29, 2006 05:14PM

Myles,
Angler's Workshop has them and you can order straight for REC also.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: January 29, 2006 05:27PM

I recently weighed an alconite tip top, a Rec recoil tip top and a standard wire tip top as I was building a 6 1/2' 2# fly rod. To my surprise the alconite was the lightest. as a tip top. The guide comparison gave the advantage to the plain wire single foots but the difference from hi to low for a 7 guide total was about 9 grains.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.011.dsl.qld.iprimus.net.au)
Date: January 29, 2006 05:39PM

Thanks Spencer.

Patrick,
I was like Mike and thought SIC was lighter than Alconite, there is a post on it somewhere I couldn't find it. But one of the forum regulars had posted difference between the two and the alconites came up a touch lighter, don't quote me on this but I think it was something to do with the ring size not the material. If you do a search it is there somewhere, someone who really knows their way around the search function might be able to find it and that someone is not me.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2006 07:12PM

Here is a thread from last year that you all should find interesting.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 29, 2006 07:20PM

And here is another one.
What food for thought? There is a feast in the archives if you know how to hunt.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ma.dl.cox.net)
Date: January 29, 2006 08:36PM

I may just be imagining it, but SIC "seems" much, much slicker to me. And, I can get a fair bit more casting distance with a fly rod that has SICs on it, vs. the Alconites. Again, this isn't scientific, just anecdotal. There's just something about a good fly-line zipping through a set of SICs--it just flies through.

Posted by: Patrick Heintz (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2006 09:09PM

thanks guys...I feel good about using the Alconites...but I am going to have to try the titanium SICs at some point.

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: February 04, 2006 08:46AM

I would go as light as possible for the SIG V's as any weight on them at all is noticable,more so than any other blank I've used.

Recoils or SF wire guides are a good choice fot the 4wts,but if you go ceramic,I would spend the extra for the Fugi titanium SIC's.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster