I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mounting single foot fly guides for wrapping?
Posted by: Rob Blomquist (---.sttlwa.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 22, 2006 12:48AM

I have done a couple of single foot fly rods in the 4-5 weight range, and I have not been satisified with they way the come together, typically with copious swearing, as they keep falling off the blank.

I have tried: thin strips of masking tape (not tight enough, and not sticky enough), rubber bands knotted to fit the blank (too klutzy and cumbersome), and surgical tubing (not bad, but not enough sizes, and too hard to find). Others I have heard of are dental rubber bands (where could a guy get these??) and various adhesives.

What I am looking for is a simple, easy to use solution that will hold the guide pretty solid while I try to get some nice wraps up on to it. Do I need to try harder with masking tape, or get a better grade? Is there a product that I should try? It will be sweet to have it locally accessable, as my nearest rod shop is 25 miles away....

Rob

A rodbuilder in Mountlake Terrace, WA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mounting single foot fly guides for wrapping?
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 22, 2006 12:54AM

The simplest way to get tubing of various ID,s is to go to any Hobby shop that deals with model airplanes. You can buy tubing in numerous sizes by the foot (used for fuel lines, etc) A cutting board and razor blade will give you a lifetime supply in no time at all in various sizes.

Just slide however many you need unto the blank (with a few extra) and you're all set. When you wrap goes a ways up the foot, just touch the band with a razor and it will fly off. Quick, easy and makes adjusting position real easy.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: John Bunner (70.236.21.---)
Date: March 22, 2006 02:15AM

I use small (1/4 and 3/16) rubber bands from a dentists office (Used for braces). Ask nicely and you will find they generally give them to you, allthough you may get a few odd looks!

John

Posted by: Tim Bro (---.226.234.20.Dial1.Dallas1.Level3.net)
Date: March 22, 2006 04:15AM

Rob,
China mark the rod where the guides go,use some thread you dont like (everyone has some of that ) ,and start wrapping the thread,on the rod only, an inch or so in front of where the guide will be placed. Spiral the thread back to where the guide will be placed , wrap the thread on the guide foot (not too tight,you want to be able to move it). Wrap about 1/8 to 1/4 inch or until the foot is flat against the rod and tie off thread.(Does not have to be pretty because it will come off latter).Now do all the guides likewise and sight down the rod and adjust the guides aligning them with the reel seat.(put on tiptop and line it up too). When you get everything as strait as an angels path, us a drop of U-40 or color preserver on the thread thats on the foot only and let dry.Then start wrapping,when you wrap up to the thread holding the guide,cut it out of the way.It comes off very easy, and your guides will need little or no adjustment. Finish as usual.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 22, 2006 05:33AM

those little rubber bands work great, for smaller dia just twist and double them.
My local orthodontist has them in a mail box on his front porch. If you cannot find them send your snail mail adress and I will pick up a pack for you

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2006 05:36AM by Barry D Thomas Sr.

Posted by: Ricardo Font (---.emrsn.com)
Date: March 22, 2006 07:32AM

Rob
I do the same as Tim Bro, its a little bit more of work but worth it, for me.
I am considering buying rubber bands used for orthodontics, and experiment substituting the faux-wrap with rubber bands.
For me, the most annoying part of the guide placement process is cleaning the masking tape residue after the static deflection.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 22, 2006 08:41AM

Masking tape works fine. But you have to apply it properly.

Tear a thin strip and apply it across the guide foot, with the two ends of the tape protruding out from the guide. Holding the ring of the guide, lower that to the blank and with your other hand, press the two ends of the tape against the blank. This will easily hold the guide while you wrap it, unless you're doing something a bit out of the ordinary when you wrap.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.fv.dl.cox.net)
Date: March 22, 2006 08:53AM

We use the Flex Coat "Guide Glue", which is a low temp glue stick.
With a cig lighter and stick of that at the work bench I find them the easiest to use, it also allows for repositioning later, and gives a small amount of cushioning under the guide foot.
Just hold the smaller guides with a thin nose pliers, heat the guide foot for a few seconds with the lighter, then dab on glue to the guide foot, hold to the premarked spot on the blank for about 5 seconds and you are ready to wrap.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 22, 2006 09:12AM

I second Ron's method using Guide Glue. It may take a bit of practice but once you have the process down satisfactorily it works great.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: March 22, 2006 09:20AM

Hi Rob,
I do like the model tubing! (Thanks Mike!)
I also very much like useing electrical heat shrink tubing. The type used to unsulating a butt-splice.
It's available at any hardware store and comes in various sizes. Holds the guides almost well enough
to fish! 3 to 4 times the cost of rubber or nylon tubing though.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Robert Box (---.adt.com)
Date: March 22, 2006 10:51AM

Rob,
I'm in Snohomish, shoot me an email if you want someone close to chat with while you're at your wrapping bench.

Rob
jerobox@earthlink.net

Posted by: Pat Barnard (---.dl.dl.cox.net)
Date: March 22, 2006 10:53AM

Rob,

Try using 30# Stren Mono . I take a piece about 12" long, tie a Uniknot in the middle and slide on the blank. Place the guide(s) in their proper location and pull tight. As you are wrapping the guide and come to the mono just snip and your done. I use this system for test casting as well. You are able to move the guides as needed and they stay put. I make up several hundred at a time while watching the tube or a New York Nicks game.......

Good Luck,

Pat

Posted by: Kevin Norstuen (---.worldspan.com)
Date: March 22, 2006 11:07AM

I use the masking tape as Tom suggests. I would add that you need to use pin stripping tape. It has more and better adhesive then regular masking tape. The tape I use is 1/4 inch wide. For the smallest guides, I need to cut the tape even narrower. Cut a slit half way across the tape. Fold the slit back across the tape creating a V notch in the tape. This will allow you to place the guide in the V notch exposing enough of the guide foot to start the wrap on. Once to apply the guide to the blank, just keep pinching the tag ends of the tape together until the tape is tight enough for you.
I hope my explaination is clear. It's hard to describe but very fast in practice. The quality of the tape is the key

Kevin

Elastic sewing thread
Posted by: Ralph Ratliff (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 22, 2006 11:14AM

Rob,

I have been using elastic sewing thread. It is inexpensive, readily available, easy to use, strong enough to use in stress testing, makes guide repositioning easy and quick. Two or three wraps for a 6 guide, 10 - 12 wraps for a 30. Just clip it off when you wrap up close.

Hope this helps.

rhr

Posted by: Bil Gburek (---.arsup.psu.edu)
Date: March 22, 2006 11:16AM

Rob,

Another suggestion from a relative newcomer who's had similar problems. Use whatever tie-down method is easiest to initially position the guides, elastic thread, rubber bands, tubing, whatever -- I've found that wire ties work well for me. Get them all positioned, then wick a drop of crazy glue under each of the feet, being careful not to involve the tie-down. After the glue sets, carefully remove the tie-down of choice and proceed to wrap with nothing getting in your way.

Bilgee

Posted by: Galen Briese (134.129.79.---)
Date: March 22, 2006 05:04PM

Rob, go to Reef Scuba Accessories web site and they have all sizes of latex tubing for any size rod, they go down to 1/8th od and 1/16th ID and many sizes upward, which will hold any fly guides on to any fly rod tip and most ultra lite ice rods, they sell it by 3 foot lengths or up to 10' rolls. Just cut them into lengths of 1/16th inch long and or 1/8" long bands and just roll them on the blank, they hold very well for test casting and static guide testing setups. Set your guides and start wrapping and when about up to the band, use a razor blade and cut them off. Telephone # 1-800-633-4837

Posted by: Steve Bohrer (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: March 22, 2006 07:19PM

Try nelastic thread, available at most sewing supply shops.

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.povn.com)
Date: March 22, 2006 07:58PM

I have had pretty good success with thin masking tape around the guide foot...then I have rolled masking tape into a small cylinder with the sticky side out and push this up against the back of the guide (not the foot end). The thin tape holds the guide in place, the cylinder props it up enough to let me get a good wrap started.

You can only use the cylinders a few times and then you start getting residual glue off the tape so I replace them often. You can usually get one or two rods before replacing.

Joe Douglas

Posted by: Fred Crum (66.6.80.---)
Date: March 22, 2006 08:27PM

Rob;
I've tried most everything, including dental floss! But the slickest way I've seen was to use electrical shrink tubbing for the REALLY SMALL guides, THANKS RAY!!!
Best of luck

Fred Crum
Dixon, Ca.

Posted by: Bob Wilson (66.243.134.---)
Date: March 22, 2006 08:35PM

This works best ..Flex coat tip top adhesive... Tape your guide with a thin piece of tape at the pointed part of foot. Line it up... Heat up glue stick, with a tooth pick, get a drop of glue ( you may have to reheat the drop), place the glue over the top of the guide and onto the blank. Remove tape and wrap half way up the guide, then with a razor pop the glue off.. After a few tries this works easy and fast...

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster