I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

LS Supreme is cracking...
Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (166.61.238.---)
Date: March 21, 2006 01:48PM

The wrap finish on a rod I built last year is cracking (U-40 LS Supreme). As I did the measuring with syringes, I feel comfortable that the mixtures were correct. I suspect that the epoxy had reached the end of its shelf life. I have a number of questions: First, can I remove the imperfect finish without removing the wraps, and, if so, how? Second, what are the causes of these blemishes, if not the epoxy itself? I checked FAQ's and did a search (surely this topic has been brought up by other newbies), however, I could not find anything from the past. I am getting ready to begin a new project and do not want to repeat any mistakes I may have made. It is also worth noting that this problem is not present on the rod I built prior to my last.
Thanks to any and everyone for any help.
Tight lines,
Hunter

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LS Supreme is cracking...
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: March 21, 2006 01:57PM

The cracking comes from the guide foot being less flexible than the blank. SInce they bend differently, the thing to go is the epoxy and you get cracks. You should find several topics on this if you do a search and make sure you select all dates. There are a couple of things that can help prevent this. Make sure your guide prep is done well. You want to take off as much of the thickness of the foot as you can. This will allow the guide foot to flex more. Another is proper thread tension. If the thread is too loose, this will allow the guide to be able to move and thus cracking the epoxy. I don't think you can do anyhting to keep the old wraps by taking off the old epoxy only, at least I have not found a way.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 21, 2006 02:00PM

You can lightly buff the finish with a gray Schothch brit pad and refinish. Your problem sounds like the guide feet were not preped correctly
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: March 21, 2006 02:23PM

Not fair to blame the epoxy. It is teh common reaction though, but as previosly stated use lighter guides, and grind them a lot thinner - and you will REDUCE the problem.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 21, 2006 02:39PM

Hunter you could go a step furthur in trying to determine the thing that is causing your problem. Take a picture close up of the guide that shows finish cracking and post on the Photo Board. The picture should reveal just what you are calling finish cracks maybe some more definitive answers could be proposed. If the cracks your are describing start from finish that has climbed to high on the guide frame there may be a problem with your application technique. It would also be helpful if you posted the guide style number and type of blank.

Date: March 21, 2006 02:42PM

Okay, I probably should have added this bit of information: The epoxy is also cracking at the butt wraps where there are no guide feet, or any other kind of foot/feet. It has simply chipped off the wraps. There also appears to be separation under the epoxy creating "fish eyes?" in a number of locations. I am not certain if this is the correct terminology. These are almost like blisters on the finish. Again, thanks for all the responses, and I apologize if I am not describing the situation accurately.
Tight lines,
Hunter

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 21, 2006 03:18PM

First, there is no shelf life. The properties of that epoxy will not change in your lifetime.

What exactly do you mean by cracking? If you could possibly take a photo and post in on the photo page we might have a better idea of what you're dealing with.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 21, 2006 03:28PM

Almost sounds like a delamination between the coats of finish.....hard to tell without seeing it first hand.

How long did you wait between coats?

Lou

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: March 21, 2006 05:58PM

Delamination is what I am thinking, too, Lou.

Hunter - Did you use Color Preserver (CP) on the thread of the Butt Wrap? If you used more than two coats of CP, the Thread Finish (TF) may not have adhered very well to the thread texture, which can be plastered over by too much CP.

Or, as Lou is suggesting, if you wait too long to lay down the first coat of TF, or between coats of TF, like days, then you may have had some conditions occur which can reduce good adhesion of the next coats of TF.

Is this a lite power rod blank that bends down into the corks / handle?
Or did the TF over the butt wrap just flake off, for no obvious reason?

I have a "comedy of errors" rod here from 20 years ago at my elbow which reminds me of the dangers of applying too much CP (delamination); and waiting too long between coats (poor adhesion or flaking); and how the CP can be so crystalline and non-flexible that it makes more noise than the epoxy when flexed. ...

Hunter, these things may not be involved in your problem, but it is worth mentioning as a possibility. .... Good Luck witht the diagnosis, ... -Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 21, 2006 08:54PM

The exoerance I have had with delamination is that it does not crack, it just peals away. This happens when you wait to long between coats. Then if you waited to long befor putting another coat on you did not deglaz the old finish
Good Wraps Bob

Date: March 22, 2006 06:36PM

My thanks to all. Delamination is a good way to describe what is happening. While I did use two coats of CP, the coats I did put on were thicker than I would have liked. The Gudebrod CP had become quite thick, even after I tried diluting it with alcohol. I do not think I waited too long between applications of the finish, but it was late last spring and I am not certain. I don't think it was as long as 72 hours, and probably not more than 48. Sometimes I am a tad impatient to complete a project once it has reached the finishing stage. It is also worth mentioning (I think), that the problems exist only on the butt wrap and the gathering guide (25 mm). Also, just for the record, it was a St Croix 6'3" blank with an extra fast action. Again, thanks for all the sound advice. I will begin wrapping a new rod within the week and these are details to which I will be paying much closer attention this time.
Tight lines,
Hunter

Posted by: Rob Savino (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2006 09:38AM

Hunter, adding alcohol to the CP may have affected the finish. Try not to introduce any chemicals ie: alcohol, acetone, thinner etc.. to the threads before finishing.
Rob

Boston, MA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster