I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

tips for butt wrapping
Posted by: doug bison (---.mn.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2006 11:05AM

I'm in the process of wrapping my first decorative diamond design butt wrap (with the help T. Kirkmann's book) I'm having some trouble keeping the individual threads aligned for one, and my biggest problem is turning out to be keeping them stuck to the masking tape I have on each end.
I know I'll figure out ways to improve as I practice- but I'm in hopes for some tips from you guys with all your years of experience to help me shorten my learning curve.
Any pointers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tips for butt wrapping
Posted by: John Bunner (70.236.21.---)
Date: March 20, 2006 12:07PM

Doug

I too am on my first rod and did a real nice job on my butt wrap if I must say so (Thanks to Tom's book!). Some pointers I learned while doing the wrap.

1. I used doubled sided sticky tape (3M) wrapped about 2 inches above both ends of the wrap
2. To stick the threads on the tape I would wind the thread around the tape at least 2 times with the second revolution being brought over the first to keep the thread in place.
3. I only put 5-7 threads on the tape then had to put another strip of tape over the first to keep the threads from coming loose.
4. Once you get a few threads on the blank make sure to pack them together to ensure a good looking wrap with no spaces inbetween the threads.
5. If need be you can use CP to "Tack" the thread in position if you find that they don't want to stay in position. Just make sure the thread is exactly where you want it to be and packed tighly before adding the CP.
6. Patience and practice!

Good Luck!

John

Posted by: David Spradlin (---.Griffin.uga.edu)
Date: March 20, 2006 01:58PM

John's tips are what I would have said. The only additional thing I do is to put a 2-3" piece of a soda straw down on the blank before starting with the double sided tape. When I'm ready to cut away the double sided tape I slide the scissor point through the straw and cut all the tape and thread away without worrying about damaging the blank.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 20, 2006 05:06PM

As you add more thread and more turns, add more masking tape. Tape down what's already there and then fold the tape back on itself. You can do this as often as you need to keep plenty of sticky material up there to hold the threads. You don't have to do an entire wrap on one piece of tape.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2006 05:48PM

Another really simple approach is to wrap the thread around the masking tape one revolution before you get to the blank. That will ensure that a short thread doesn't come loose on you. Thread is really cheap when you compare it to the time you're spending on a wrap of any kind. And keep the soda straw a good distance away from where you're planning to end your wrap - one to one and a half "patterns" will help you at the end when you're removing the threads. You'll have enough thread that you can "tack " it with CP in front of and behind a partial tie-off band then cut it way at an angle so it doesn't leave you with a "lump" where the threads disappear under the tie off band..

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: March 21, 2006 07:36AM

One thing I do is put a small bump in the tape. use a BB or spit ball or water ever. I wrap it under the tape so that when I bring the thread up an raound to go back down the gets behinf the bump. That way I do not have problems with the thread slipping out of alignment

Posted by: Thomas Tysver (69.26.29.---)
Date: March 23, 2006 12:20AM

Certain brands of masking tape will help. Found out that the brand Tartan will stay stickyer longer then some others. And washing your hands before wraping will help to keep the oil on your hands off of the tape.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster