I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ATC Clearcoat Lite Build vs. U-40 LS Supreme?
Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (166.61.238.---)
Date: March 18, 2006 03:37PM

It's time for me to buy more epoxy. In the past, I have used LS Supreme, which has done well for me. However, I would like to use a finish which is less viscous. In it's advertising literature, ATC makes such claims, but are they realistic? My experience is very limited and I would appreciate hearing from folks here.

In addition, my Gudebro Color Preserver has become very thick. I know I can dilute it with alcohol, but how thin can I go without reducing its efficacy. Please correct me, but I am under the impression when CP is applied, it should penetrate the wraps not coat them.

Any help on these topics will be greatly appreciated!
Tight lines,
Hunter

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ATC Clearcoat Lite Build vs. U-40 LS Supreme?
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2006 04:49PM

i have used both and each works well. i personally like the atc better due to the fact you can flame it. i like to tinker with things and it helps when i get in a hurry and add bubbles or put it on too thick. if you havent tried threadmaster then you are missing out. you can get it just as thin as the others. good luck it seems everyone has their preference. get one you like and stay with it

Posted by: Joe Kassuba (---.dhcp.knwk.wa.charter.com)
Date: March 18, 2006 06:40PM

Hello Hunter
Regarding thinning CP. Use caution when doing this as the solids in solution are what give the color preserving. The threads need to be saturated with CP. Remove the excess by wicking it off with a piece of paper towel or coffee filter.
LS Supreme is pretty low viscosity but if the ultimate low viscosity finish is desired consider using U40 PermaGloss. It is water clear and very tough, much tougher than epoxy. Quick drying to the touch and can be recoated to achieve a lite build look. Apply Pemagloss using one lite first coat that saturates the thread. Allow each coat to dry till it is tack free before recoating. This is usually about and hour. If to thick a coat is applied bubbles can occur due to solvent escaping as the polymer cures.
LS supreme and LS High Build can be warmed but not flamed. LS Supreme dissipates bubbles very well due to it's low viscosity. These finishes are designed to allow bubble to escape when applied 68 to 72 deg F. In the mixing of epoxy is when most bubbles accur. So learning to mix such that bubbles are minimized will help no matter what epoxy finish is used. There is a very good article in the recent Rodmaker mag that will help to become a better finishers. Is is worth the read.
Sincerely
Joe Kassuba
HIS Rod Shop

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (166.61.238.---)
Date: March 20, 2006 12:32PM

Thanks for the above advice. This site is a great resource.
Tight lines,
Hunter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster