I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Permagloss storage
Posted by: Rob Savino (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2006 05:50PM

I have permagloss storage problems. My problem is once the bottle is opened it has a very short shelf life. I tried to put beads or other materials in the bottle to take up the air in the bottle, not much success. I was wasting more permagloss than I was using. What does everyone use to keep an open bottle last long.
Rob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Permagloss storage
Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 10, 2006 06:08PM

Rob,
I just got some Permagloss and ordered online a couple of unlined paint cans. I guess the trick is to put the permagloss in the can with a bead around the lid to seal it then have a screw in the bottom to allow the liquid to escape without introducing air. One the instructors at Charlotte explained it but I don't recall who. Randy.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: March 10, 2006 06:27PM

Sammy Mickel was selling small paint cans to store PG in at Charlotte, I know he has a few left. I had the EXACT same problem as you, and swore off PG forever. After seeing the U40 guys show me and explain how the PG will never harden with teh Paint can method, I have given it a try again. TEhy have the same 4oz bottle of PG in the can for well over a year with no hardeneing problems, I strongly suggest you send Sammy an e-mail for a can.

Posted by: John Dow (---.245.155.70.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: March 10, 2006 06:59PM

Rob , the paint can is the way to go , untill then , you can put the jar in a ziplock in the refrigerator . To use , take it out , unzip the bag crack the cap and pour out a bit into a cup , then re-seal as fast as possible sqweezing the air out of the bag . The PG will last 5 times as long as in room temp. ................. but , get the can if you want it to last indefinetly . John D

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 10, 2006 07:21PM

I've had some in a can for over 4 years and it's still perfectlly fine, and thin.

Posted by: Buddy White (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: March 10, 2006 07:34PM

Just a quick question. Am I assuming correctly that you need to the correct size can to do this. For example if I pour my 1 ounce PG into a 4 ounce can I'm still going to have quite a bit of of air above that one ounce of PG. After I seal the can will the xylene vapors that mix with the air in that void be sufficient to give me the long shelf? Thanks for any comments.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 10, 2006 08:18PM

You need to try and fill the can. Buy a couple bottles or more and fill the can and it'll last a lot longer. I just buy the 4 ounce bottle and go with that. It's not that expensive and will last for years. Probably cheaper than having to buy a new 1ounce bottle every six months.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 10, 2006 08:20PM

I ordered a 4oz bottle to put in the can Billy bought for me from Sammy Mickel. Having seen just how it works from the can first hand, It will put my fear and hatred towards Permagloss to rest. Permagloss "can" be user friendly.

I'll now pay more attention to all Permagloss posts.

Posted by: Jan Podsiedlik (---.ed.shawcable.net)
Date: March 10, 2006 08:45PM

There is a product called varnish preserver. It is basically compressed nitrogen gas in a spray can. You spray it into a can of varnish to remove oxygen from the can before closing the lid. I have never used it, but I have a hunch that it could be used to blow moist air out of a permagloss filled can. Naturally it also should work great with Tru-oil, spar varnish etc. I think I'll pick up a can tomorrow and give it a try.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.111.21.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 10, 2006 10:13PM

All this can and marble stuff is for the birds !! Just put it in the refrigerator ! I have it in there for over a year and it is still good
After you open it up, let it come to room temp, poor into a cup. Before you close it -- clean the threads -- well. This will keep it from getting stuck. Do not close ' tight ', when you feel the gasket hit the top, give it a light turn about 1/4 more and less. it is sealed yet not very-very tight.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2006 10:17PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2006 02:15PM

Me and Putter dont think marbeling is for the birds .

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: March 11, 2006 02:25PM

Bill, I darned near posted the same thing as Fred... then realized you were talking adding marbles to the Permagloss bottle to keep it full and the air out LOL!! Fred had to give ya a bad time about it; me too! Don't mess with me marbles!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.57.132.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 11, 2006 05:02PM

Marbeling is good !!

Putting all that stuff into Permagloss seems to be for the birds. Keeping it in the fridge works great.
Yea it turns cloudy, but after it gets to room temperature it works good. And lasts a long time !!??
And even right out of the fridge works great, seems to not set up as fast ? Easier to coat a blank. Must be the colder temperature.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 11, 2006 09:47PM

Why would anyone want to walk to their kitchen to get finish? SOme tackle/rod shops do not even have a fridge. Anyone with kids woulnd't want to put that stuff in teh fridge eitehr. Then you have to let it get to room temperature so it's not cloudy? Sounds like the can and the marble IS for the birds, disregard all the above info.

Posted by: Anonymous User (211.27.173.---)
Date: March 11, 2006 10:48PM

Can someone post a picture or describe the can setup.

Posted by: John Dow (---.245.167.250.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: March 11, 2006 11:10PM

Myles , I think it was explained in detail on a previous post , but in a nut shell , it's a 4oz ,clean , new metal paint can . Fill the can with PG and seal the top , then poke a very small hole on the side , just above the bottom crimped rib of the can , and incert a sheet metal screw (or wood screw) with an eyelet on it into the hole at the bottom of the can, just above the seam . The PG will seep out and harden around the threads of the screw creating a seal so it won't leak out . When you need some PG , un-screw the eyelet screw and drizzle some into a cup and put the screw back ........... done deal. The frige works good too .
Have fun , John , NERB (No East Rod Builders)

Got Fish ?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.162.117.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 11, 2006 11:37PM

Only because it works No fridge, how do you keep the beer cold ??

Posted by: Anonymous User (211.27.173.---)
Date: March 12, 2006 12:38AM

Thanks John got it now, didn't see the last post. Hey Bill down here mate the beer doesn't stay in the fridge long enough before it gets drunk.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.162.117.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 12, 2006 01:28AM

Just don't get the beer and permagloss mixed up Myles ???

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster