I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Are spinning and casting blanks actually different?
Posted by: Erik Godwin (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 26, 2006 11:38PM

I'm new, and confused.

I was looking at the Baston website, and noticed for the first time that some blanks are specifically designated as "spin" and some as "casting". For example, under the Bass Blank section, the SB845-3 is a 7.0", 3 piece, 12-25lb blank (RX6 graphite) designated as a spinning rod blank. Scroll down a bit, however, and you see the IC847-3, which is a 7.0", 3 piece, 12-25lb blank (RX7 graphite) designated as a casting blank.

Clearly the actions are different, as are the blank dimensions and materials. However, what is to prevent me from making a spinning rod out of the casting blank? Is this a bad idea for some reason?

Thanks,

Erik

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Are spinning and casting blanks actually different?
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 26, 2006 11:47PM

Absolutely nothing!! Often the companies list particular blanks as casting or spinning in their catalogs in order to make it easier to find a blank for a particular application. As some one said here, "The fish doesn't know what kind of blank you use".

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2006 11:47PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2006 06:40AM

Erik , Batson is doing away with the green color blanks and they are on our website Fishsticks 4u on the CLOSE OUT PAGE at 30% off . If you have any questions please call 804-746-9711 or 804-966-7577.We are also on the sponsor list. Robert

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: January 27, 2006 04:39PM

The spinning and casting labels don't mean a thing.

For a given power designation, the spinning model has a sligthly smaller diameter butt, probably a slightly smaller diameter tip, and is rated for less weight.

For example, a St. Croix 3S66MF and a 3C66MF are not the same blank. The "casting" model (3C66MF) is a stouter rod, handling 10-17 lb. line and 1/4 to 3/4 oz. baits. It also has a slightly larger butt and tip diameter. The "spinning" model (3S66MF) will handle 6-12 lb. line and 3/16 to 5/8 oz. baits.

All this really means is that you have two models to choose from. You can really fine-tune the rod you build to fit the exact size baits you're going to throw, whether you build it up as a spinning or casting model. For my own personal tastes, the 3S66MF mentioned above suits my needs for a medium-power rod better than the casting model. So, I build up the 3S66MF as my medium power casting rod.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.202.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 28, 2006 09:46AM

Check the specks of the blank, line you are going to use, lure weight you will throw, and action you want.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 28, 2006 07:10PM

I am going to respectfully propose a little different spin. The fish or the blank may not care whether the blank is a spin or casting blank but the fisherman just might. The techniques that propel a lure of the same weight the same distance are quite different. The quick snap of the spin blank and the long sweep of the casting rod place a completely different load cycle to the blank. The blanks recommended just may need to be different.

I am going under the impression that out there somewhere there are blank manufacturers or engineers who know what they are doing. I would like to think that those nice catalogs we get in the mail and use to sell custom rods to customers have some real value. I really wish one of them would answer this thread. I know that they read this type of post and wonder why they do not chime in! Where are you Todd, Jason, Sharon, Bill and ----------------, dtc.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.147.116.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 28, 2006 10:18PM

I do beleave that if you look at spin blanks they generally go from a slow to a mod to fast action and cast blanks are usually a fast or extra fast action.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 29, 2006 05:43PM

Bill Boettcher wrote: "I do believe that, if you look at spinning blanks, they generally go from a slow to a moderate to a fast action, and casting blanks are usually a fast or extra fast action."

I don't use bass-sized baitcasters that much, ... but wouldn't it be more the other way around? That a spinning rod can cast more accurately with a fast or extra fast action on a short rod than a revolving spool reel can, because the spinning reel has no spool inertia to contend with? So, the release of the line is instantaneous and the timing of that release may be considered less critical? The line flies off the spinning reel and starts flowing down the line guides INSTANTLY once released. You can feather the line with your index finger to control the cast after the release. But the TIMING or the clock POSITION of the release can tolerate more variance.

WHEREAS, with a revolving spool reel, you have to start releasing the spool to revolve a few fractions of a second before the release position so there is enough energy and time to overcome the spool's inertia. A fast or extra fast rod tip wants to expend its catapult energy VERY QUICKLY, which is NOT the way a revolving spool wants to distribute it's kinetic energy. It wants a controlled and continuous force to be applied from the rod's forward thrust and the flying lure's kinetic energy. Whereas a spinning reel does better with a pent-up burst and release of energy, that really propels and accelerates the line and lure.

I remember making countless snap-casts when first learning to use a bait-caster that barely made it past the bow of the boat from the stern, when first educating my thumb on bass fishing. I still am a hack with bass-casting tackle. But it did seem to me that too quick a rod tip was NOT the rod to use when first learning to use a baitcaster - it's too unforgiving on timing and control.

While I would say that a spinning reel can handle a quicker action rod blank and that a revolving reel may need a less quick or less "snappy" action rod blank, that once the builder-fisher decides on a desired action-taper, then it no longer matters if the reel is a spinner or a caster. One guy can build the same rod blank as a spinner throwing live bait and another a caster throwing plugs, and one rod blank could be perfect for both situations. But one (extra-)fast rod blank that works as a spinner throwing worms may not work as a baitcaster throwing 2" live shad at schooling stripers on your favorite reservoir. It may be listed as an XF action CASTING rod with the right line & lure rating. But this 2nd situation really needs a more of a live bait taper - a little slower action perhaps, maybe a fast action, or maybe even a mod-fast or moderate action in a heavier line rating if the fish are bigger. I may be using a casting reel for bass, but my bait dictates a softer action rod. ... Maybe the bass pros with PhD thumbs can handle it, but I am breaking out the spinning tackle for anything under 3/8 ounce or live bait under 1/2 ounce.

Oh well, just had to pipe up here, even if the Thread is cold, and my points & descriptions are somewhat moot. ... -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 29, 2006 10:15PM

There is no difference. They're all made the same way. A blank is a blank is a blank for the most part.

Now sometimes you see some models that were specifically made for a particular type of fishing application. I think Cliff alluded to this somewhat. But that doesn't mean that they can't be used for other things. And other times, the same blank is sold as both a casting and spinning model. Those categories are really only meant as suggestions for what various models might be used for.

I've never bothered with the classifications. I just note the length, action and power and select what I need based on those criteria. It's never mattered if the blank I ended up choosing was listed as a casting, popping, hot shot, spinning, etc. model.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster