I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

REC Recoil Guides
Posted by: Bill Giokas (---.bfd-dynamic.gis.net)
Date: January 25, 2006 01:39PM

What do you think of the REC Recoil Guides? I've seen on one board that the rust despite what REC says. Bill.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: REC Recoil Guides
Posted by: Mikko Stenberg (---.kotopas.fi)
Date: January 25, 2006 02:15PM

I think that they are good stuff. Very light, hardy and durable. One of the sweetest casting single hander that I've built has #2 Recoil RSF runners and Recoil RTTUL tip top. According to my weighings Recoils are ~half the weight of regular chrome snakes or single foots.

Posted by: Walter Willoughby (---.elpaso.com)
Date: January 25, 2006 02:32PM

I have them on a Winston and a Rainshadow rod that I use a lot in the winter months in Colorado. They have been in use for 3 years. No problems, actually very nice guides.

Posted by: Trey Gurley (---.midsouth.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2006 03:30PM

Are those the guides Gloomis uses on their Cross Current fly rods?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: January 25, 2006 03:34PM

I think you misread the post or the person involved was ill informed. There are Ti coated stainless guides and there are Ti guides. The all Ti guides do not rust, how can they? Rust is ferrous oxide, there has to be iron in some form present to rust. Next time you have a similar question feel free to come back to the "no spin zone".

Posted by: Mikko Stenberg (---.kotopas.fi)
Date: January 25, 2006 03:46PM

Guideline has Recoils in many of their rods as well.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2006 07:28PM

Very nice guides!! WILL NOT RUST!!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: scott.bearden (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 25, 2006 08:55PM

In all fairness... All metals rust or oxidize in one for or another. Some are obviously more prone to it than others. Titanium coatings can fail and that may present a place of entry for rust. I have a swiss arm knife that I found after forgetting in a tackle box for 15 years and it has rust on it. It happens. I have seen rust on aluminum. It is white and chalky. Aircraft maintenance manuals can usually tell you what typed of rust there are and how to treat it. If you find rust on a guide I would remove the entire guide becuase it will just continue and will likely damage your line as well. I have not tried the recoils so I cannot say whether or not they are prone to it. What you read is admittedly more likely a fluke than the norm. They seem very nice and I plan on trying them on the light rods I enjoy building.

Posted by: Mike Oettinger (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: January 25, 2006 09:43PM

I bought REC guilds for a very sweet 9' 5wt. 2 pc. 51 mm blank Hook and Hackle sold a few years back, ( bet Andy Dear has a few in his can), for there ability to bend and return pretty much unharmed. They do that very well but the first fish I caught the loop came loose of the tube. the loop is just crimped in the end, not hard to fix, more glue in the end, pulled to the end by heat. I probably got a bad loop. They are noisy, more so than others. But if your a klutz like me they can save a fishing trip.
M. J. Oettinger
Amargosa Valley, NV

Posted by: Lynn Leary (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 25, 2006 10:23PM

I thought the comments about Recoils being Titanium coated or corroding was incorrect so I went to REC's website and here is what they say:

REC introduces a revolutionary new material for fishing rod guides. RECOIL guides are made from a special nickel titanium alloy with unique physical properties which provide exciting new possibilities for fishing rod designers worldwide. Until now, fishing rod guides have been plated or have used ceramic inserts to provide wear resistance. RECOIL guides are made from an extremely hard but flexible "Shape Memory" alloy, which does not require plating, cannot corrode in any environment, and returns or "RECOILs" to its original shape after repeated deformations. RECOIL guides are available in snake, single foot, and stripping guide styles for fly rods. Or RECOIL guides are available for spinning and casting rod designs.

I don't think corrosion, be it rust or aluminum oxide, would be an issue considering what they are made from. Maybe what someone mistakenly called corrosion was actually salt deposits or old fish guts.

Lynn
Santa Rosa, CA

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: January 25, 2006 10:46PM

Wow

Another Santa Rosa area rodbuilder.

Hello Lynn!

Derek
Rohnert Park, CA

Posted by: Lynn Leary (---.health.net)
Date: January 26, 2006 09:15AM

Derek,
Don't you mean another junkie coming to RodBuilding.Org in an attempt to come to grips with their addiction. Sooo many blanks, so little time. And my Titanium fetish is getting worse too! I probably won't sleep the last weekend in February either because I can't go to Charlotte. Life is so unfair.

Posted by: Dan Lanier (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: January 26, 2006 02:43PM

I want to thank everyone for their positive comments regarding our RECOIL guides.
Once you try them you will be convinced that they are what we say they are and more.
If you have yet to try a set (Fly, Spin, or casting) be advised that RECOIL Guide products are now 10% off for the month of January. With the overwhelming response we have had with our special introductory promotion we are considering extending it through the month of February.
We want everyone to try a set to see and feel for themselves the advantages of RECOIL guides.
If you have any questions, please contact me at custserv@REC.com. I can send you a RECOIL features and benefit sheet as well as guide specs.
Thank you all for your interest in REC Components. We look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Dan Lanier
REC Components

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 26, 2006 10:20PM

And... REC will be displaying at the National Rod Builders Show next month and I'm sure they'll have the full product line for you to see, feel and try there.

Posted by: Bob Wilson (66.243.134.---)
Date: January 26, 2006 10:33PM

Built Sage XI2 990 with REC guides a strippers . The memory shape helps if you drop the rod on a boat or rocks, especially the strippers. If you carefully plan the size of the guides they a not noisy ( large). The only complaint I have, you cant bend them when you are wrapping and they are all a little different so buy extras in each size and pick the best, I dont think I will ever use their tip top again. The snakes and strippers Yes. Very nice for a hard core rod. The REC flat track reel seat is also first class.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster