I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Perch Rod
Posted by: Kyle Caldwell (---.lkwnny.adelphia.net)
Date: January 25, 2006 12:46PM

Looking to make a birthday present for my fiance's dad. He's Pennsylvania Game Commissioner so it has to be good lol. He loves perch fishinin the summer here up on lake erie. Basically all we do is drop minnow rigs over the side of the boat anywhere from 42-65 feet. He's also a huge penn state fan so im thinking navy blue/white/silver for wraps as well as a split grip with navy blue and white marbling. My first question is any blank recomendations from anyone who has built something similar.... Also he will very often run two rods himself.... i cant picture where the rod will rest in the holder will the marbling btw the split grip pose a problem in the rod holders? Gonna spiral wrap the rod as well, he'll think im crazy for doin it so it should be pretty funny but ill explain it. He thinks im crazy anyway so its okay. Any guide recomedations would also be appreciated. Also would decal connection be able to hook me up with a penn state decal?? What im thinkin is just the Lion head, think they could pull it off or should ijust look for a small sticker??
Hope this all makes sense, Thanks
Kyle

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Perch Rod
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 25, 2006 01:04PM

You didn't say what action/length he prefers. The St Croix 3S60LF 6' light fast is a nice perch rod and if Andy Dear has any of the All Start 6' light fast blanks left, they are excellant blanks (can't beat the price either) Depending on the type of rod holders he uses, that shouldn't be a problem as long as the bare blank is touching the holder edges. I do bumper spiral wraps on all casting rods although I don't think it would affect a perch rod to any extent (except it would look cool and he'd be the only one like it!) Check out American Tackle's blue ringed guides or blu framed ones. I would use ALL single foot guide and use the fly type #6 ceramics for all except the first 2 or maybe 3.Eliminate the fore grip or to a tiny 1/2" one.

Decal Connection can't make any copyrighted logo's

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: January 25, 2006 01:56PM

Yeah, gotta have that spiral wrap for "horsing" up those 12" perch without "fatigue" to the anger, LOL. I guess he uses baitcast reels to avoid line twist with that deep water? Don't get too radical on the gift rod or he won't let you into the family gene pool. On the other hand, make it extra nice because the Commissioner gets to fish with LOTS of people and could send some business your way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2006 01:58PM by Steve Kartalia.

Posted by: Bil Gburek (---.arsup.psu.edu)
Date: January 25, 2006 02:12PM

Kyle,

Let me qualify this response first -- I've lived in State College, PA for nearly 40 years, so I'm familiar with all things Penn State.

I'm currently finishing a "Black 'n Blues" rod. It's a 9' spinner, but the color scheme I used may help you out. The blank is charcoal matte, and I used blue hypalon for a split grip. I chose the lighter blue, but I'm pretty sure there's a darker blue available that would be more in tune with PSU colors. I used a black w/ blue reel seat and TiCh frame/blue ring guides from AmTack. Wrapped the guides with Gudebrod metallic blue and a metallic silver trim band, although you could use metallic pearl/white also. Did some simple butt wrapping with the same colors. Metallic blue thread was somewhat light when I put it on, but the finish darkened it a little bit and really made everything sparkle. Also looks fantastic, if I do say so myself, with the hypalon, the reel seat, and the guides. Put a bluefish decal on it that went really well with the colors, and also indicates the purpose of the rod. Don't know what you might do re: perch though -- the colors don't exactly go together (LOL).

I had done a quick look (only at the Penn State Bookstore) for a small PSU sticker to put on with the bluefish, but they didn't have anything suitable. That doesn't mean they don't exist though, since there are a number of other stores with Penn State stuff downtown. If you're not in a big hurry, I can make it a point to look around a little and see if any of them have something that might suit your needs. That would help me too.

Finally, I had picked up a couple of inexpensive blue blanks from MudHole earlier. They were in the MudHole blank special section, glossy spinning blank, 6'2" long and cobalt blue. They still show them as available, but maybe they're a little too light for what you're looking for? I know they'd look super with the same colors I used on the 9' blank, and I may end up building them the same way.

Go Lions! And Steelers, too!!

Bilgee

Posted by: Constantinos (217.20.84.---)
Date: January 27, 2006 07:34AM

In most of America people a trained and pre programmed to act
and work in common ____________________________________
Dish-netwok Solution CEO group NY. 210/101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster