I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

FlexCoat Pumps
Posted by: Ralph Tomaccio (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 12, 2006 01:02PM

I've gotten the feeling that most of you prefer to use syringes for measuring wrap finish. Do any of you use, or at least have tried, the FlexCoat pumps?

Are they as accurate in measuring parts A & B as syringes?

They appear to be a little neater way to go, not having to wipe the tips of the syringes clean after loading, nor having to keep syringes hung in a bottle to keep them clean.

Just curious what you think!

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FlexCoat Pumps
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: January 12, 2006 01:17PM

I used them one time and never again. I did not like how the epoxy was dispensed from them. As for keeping the syringes clean and making using them easier, one thing you can do is drill a hole in the top cap on the bottles of epoxy so you have a snug fit to the hole and the syringe. Then all you do is tip the bottle upside down and fill the syringe. The syringe goes back into the hole for storage. The other thing you can do is get what are called Adapta-Caps. I think it is the 24mm size that works with the bottles, at least for LS Supreme. Using these eliminate the drilling of the hole. I even got the syringes from the place I got the caps. Just cleaned them well and have not had any problems.

Posted by: Ralph Tomaccio (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 12, 2006 01:32PM

Mike, where did you get the Adapta-Caps from?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 12, 2006 01:33PM

They're fine for dispensing adhesive, but I don't like them for epoxy finish. There is a greater margin for error particularly when the temperature is lower and the resin pump doesn't refill very quickly.

I've never cleaned any syringes and I don't keep mine hung in a bottle. I just lie them on a paper towel stashed in a drawer and forget about them.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: January 12, 2006 02:36PM

Here is where I got the caps from.

[abundanthealth.us]

Posted by: Christian Brink (---.dsl.aracnet.com)
Date: January 12, 2006 03:45PM

I agree with Mike - They are worthless.

I tried 2 batches as tests (just let them harden). The mix was off on both. I don't remember if they never hardened or just took forever, it was 2-3 years ago. I do remember throwing them away.

Posted by: Ralph Cordell (---.cdc.gov)
Date: January 12, 2006 04:10PM

I tried them. Didn't have a problem with the mix but did get bubbles and they crapped out after the 3rd usage.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: January 12, 2006 04:16PM

I used them for about a year or so until I switched finishes and they didn't fit the new bottles. I never had any problems with the finish setting up correctly. BUT, I always made sure the resin and hardener were about 70 degrees before I used them.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: January 12, 2006 04:56PM

I have been using the pumps for about two years now and have not had any problems. My room stays around 75 to 80 degrees year round. I have even tried one squirt each of the epoxy and hardener using ThreadMaster and it set up very well.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 12, 2006 05:19PM

You might be a little bit surprised at how many builders use the stainless steel measuring spoons. They work quite well if you use the 1/2 teaspoon and larger. With the Yorker Caps it quite painless to get a good batch each time. The real small batch mixing does not happen in my shop. The finish salesmen love me - I use only a small part of what I mix but I have never had a problem with proportions. The only time I have a problem is when I mix 1/2 teaspoon of Resin with 1/2 teaspoon of Resin! Duh!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 12, 2006 05:37PM

Yeah, and then we wonder why that bugger won't ever harden??? Hmmmmm????Scratch head...

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Chuck Ungs (---.dsl.iowatelecom.net)
Date: January 12, 2006 07:31PM

I use the graduated disposable flex-coat mixing cups from Bingham and find the results to be very good - I pour in the first part up to one of the lines - then the opposite part up to double that amount... the cups are cheap enough to be thrown out after done mixing and pouring onto the aluminum foil. I mix slowly and don't have a big problem with bubbles in the mix - either finish or epoxy. If you buy a hundred at a time they are pretty cheap. I didn't enjoy using the syringes... Chuck Ungs

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: January 12, 2006 10:12PM

I bet a lot of you don't know that many if not most of the pumps on the market sold for dispensing finish were actually made for dispensing condiments like Ketchup and Mustard or beauty products like lotion.....that's what you're using to rely on measuring your finish? Theoretically they should be pretty accurate, but the problem with pumps is that if you try to dispense the material too fast (pump too quick) the pumps will cavitate and not pump equal portions everytime....leading to?
Uncured resin! The accuracy of the pumps also depends somewhat on the viscosity of the material.

Andy Dear
Lamar Mfg.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 12, 2006 11:04PM

drill a small hole in the finish bottle caps just big enough for the syringe tips to fit in tightly. Turn the bottles upside down and draw the finish out and empty into cup (replace the empty syringe in the top and draw the plunger up a little and set aside until the next time).

No mess, no fuss and accurate. When the finish is gone, just transfer the caps/syringes to the next bottle. I have been using the same syringes for over a year and have never cleaned them (I prefer the syringes withOUT the rubber on the plungers. LS has them)

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Ralph Tomaccio (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: January 12, 2006 11:19PM

Well, you guys pretty much confirmed my suspicions about pumps. My main concern was accuracy in the pumping step, repeatability and having these qualities in both pumps for parts A & B.

Think I'll stick with the syringes and get the drill out to create holes in the caps as suggested.

Thanks guys!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster