I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide sizing and spacing
Posted by: Allen Forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: January 12, 2006 02:01PM

Am I right in thinking the easiest way to "space the guides is to bend the rod to almost 90 degrees then space so the line flows evenly up the blank without touching it???
Also how do you work out the guide size for a given rod blank how many guides obviously depends on my above question but when do you step up a guide size
for instance i have a 12` beachcaster the guides are 8mm 8mm 10mm 12mm 12mm 16mm 26mm and it casts 200yards how did the builder work out 2x 8mm etc ??
all help welcomed

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide sizing and spacing
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 12, 2006 03:07PM

Read the guide spacing articles on the online library page here. I think they will help answer these questions and more.

Date: January 12, 2006 04:56PM

That covers the guide spacing tom thanks but how do you work out the guide sizes (ring diameters)???

Date: January 12, 2006 05:23PM

What you have there is not needed. Throw out the 10's and 12's and replace them with 8's. The builder used them because they were available, no other reason.

Date: January 12, 2006 06:10PM

so what ring number would i start to step the size up or does it go in conjunction with the line run on the blank?? (remember these are 12`surf rods capable of hurling 8 oz`s of lead) sorry to appear stupid but this is something that has always confused me

Date: January 12, 2006 06:18PM

Full details of the rod 12` long 28mm butt 4mm tip two equal sections over spigot joint cast with reel "up the butt" ( 32") fixed via coasters 7 rings plus tip butt ring 17 " from top of fore grip other rings spaced to run line without touching rod (this was factory built ) but what made them put an 8mm tip ring on when you can get 6mm 8mm or 10mm in 4mm barrel

Date: January 13, 2006 09:32AM

The butt guide should be sized and placed so that the line comes off the reel freely, and when under load the line does not run down onto the anglers hand or foregrip. Sometimes a higher frame coupled with a small ring is just the ticket.

The running guides should be the smallest possible rings that will still pass the require line, knots, connections, etc. I prefer very low frame guides for casting rods where the guildes are located on top of the rod. This helps reduce (but does not eliminate) the tendency of the rod to twist when under load.

On a casting rod like this, you only need one intermediate size guide to bring the butt guide to the running guides. Overall this will reduce total guide weight and pick up the performance of the rod to some degree. Generally speaking, weight is the enemy of rod performance, particularly when it is nearer the mid and tip area.

Posted by: Richard O'Mara (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: January 13, 2006 10:29AM

As I read the post, I was wondering. What is the make of your rod? Is it configured for spinning, or conventional? The type and spacing of the guides would depend on that, and whether you are using braid (PowerPro etc.). As for the size, I wouldn't go smaller then a size 10. This would allow you to retrieve the clip (I use a Breakaway clip) all the way back to the reel at the end of the day. This size would also allow the knot joining the shock leader to the main line to flow freely through the guides. Just my opinion....I hope it helps.

Date: January 13, 2006 10:53AM

Its a 12` beachcaster (i think they call them surf rods in usa ) blank origin is unknown its rung for multiplier only standard 15lb mono with a 60lb shockleader

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster