I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How can I make stick on decals?
Posted by: Butch North (---.kpunet.net)
Date: January 11, 2006 11:07PM

Whats the trick to making stick on decals?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How can I make stick on decals?
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2006 11:31PM

Pick up the phone and call Jimmi at Decal Connections!!
I have been trying to make my own lables and decals for a very long time with very limited success. A brother "P" touch labler can do some things, a good computer program and printer can do some things but the ink fades quickly! Dry transfer lettering works good but is a pain for me.
I recently read a post here about some gold leaf strips that can be used with real good results and
plan to try that very soon!
As soon as I can decide the style, fonts, sizes, and exactly what I am looking for I am going straight
to Decal Conn. Heck, I probly should call them and have a chat and get their ideas anyway! I have
heard nothing but the best from the best here about Decal Conn.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 11, 2006 11:32PM

By contacting Jimi at the "Decal Connection" on the sponsor list to the left side of the page. He sells "waterslide" decal sheets that you can run through your Ink Jet printer. The waterslides (like the old model decals) are MUCH thinnner than a peel & stick decal and have better clarity.

If you want it in a color that an Ink Jet won't do (white, silver, etc...) Decal Connection will make it for you for a very reasonable fee and you'll get it FAST.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Jay Lindholm (---.bois.qwest.net)
Date: January 11, 2006 11:38PM

As the other posters said, call decal connection. They are very reasonably priced and their products are top notch. The neat thing is that you can draw/copy/make almost any design you want and they put it on a waterslide for you. You also won't have the edges lifting as you sometimes do with the regular stick on type decals.

Date: January 11, 2006 11:43PM

Mark,
I did get some water-slide paper and tried making lables with my laser-jet printer and "no good".
Is an ink-jet better? Why?

Thanks,

Raymond Adams

Date: January 11, 2006 11:54PM

Well even the ink jets need to be coated with "clear" like clear Krylon before you put them in water or they run. The Krylon dries in just a couple of minutes so it's not a big deal. I'm guessing the laserjets may have the same issue. It seems like he might even have a different paper for the laser jets.

The thing that I like about Jimmi's decals over the ones I can print here is that his are opaque. It doesn't seem to matter what color they are or what color they're covering. They don't change. About the only ones I do here anymore are black text going over a lighter color. Everybody lately has wanted Gold or Silver over a dark wrap and as lousy as my printing is, I just email Jimmi and they're here in a few days. No fuss, no muss!

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Date: January 12, 2006 12:06AM

The results I got from my laser-jet was the ink is not applied heavy enough or something as the lable looked great until I removed the backing. after that the ink just dissappeared and you could not see it even if you put the lable against a contrasting backround. I made several with different color sets, sprayed with Krylon and same
thing. Black on white was the best and it was not good!

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: January 12, 2006 12:08AM

"Whats the trick to making stick on decals?"

Butch, the trick to making your own quality "stick on" decals (waterslides) is an Alps printer. It prints with metallic tapes (gold, silver, blue, red, yellow). Ink jets and, I think, laserjets??, problems are that they have to be over a light background and they fade rapidly.

Jimi at decal connection is the best bet without tying up a bunch of money in your decal project.

That said, I do have an Alps and the convenience factor makes it worth it for me.

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: January 12, 2006 12:16AM

Putter,

What did that thing set you back if you don't mind my asking? Same opaque decals as Jimmi's? There's a new Xerox out that will do metallics, etc.. but it's close to $5K!

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: January 12, 2006 12:30AM

Decal Connection is the very best way to solve inscription & logo problems - hands down - as folks above have posted. Stan

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 12, 2006 01:05AM

Don't waste your time or money with ink jets. Prove it to yourself. print something out, put in the sun and see how many HOURS it takes to badly fade. Either get an ALPS printer or go with Decal Connection.

Date: January 12, 2006 01:15AM

Yea Mike,
I learned the hard way already!! LOL

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 12, 2006 09:12AM

Mark, it was a couple hundred for a 'like new' machine. Had to do the online bid thing; they aren't sold new in the US; Myles Boon can buy them new in Australia-don't know what that's all about. I paid around that 200 mark for mine. On the quality: [www.fishingphotos.net]

They are metallic and completely opaque. This picture is an overlay with two colors-silver metallic and black. They can more easily be printed in just silver or gold metallic...

Putter
Williston, ND

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2006 09:16AM by Randy Parpart (Putter).

Posted by: Allen Madsen (---.1.15.66.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: January 12, 2006 07:44PM

Mark Like Randy said if you want to get an Alps printer you will end up bidding on one on @#$%&. I have a Citizen printer which was made by Alps for Citizen and they to are no longer made but use the same cartriges and printer drivers as the Alps. Beware I did find out the hard way that the drivers you can down load off the internet will not support metallics and the drivers that come on the printer will not work on anything newer than windows 98. I paid $130 for my printer which was still in the box and run it off of an old laptop that a brother gave me. I have never dealt with Decal Connection and from all that is said on this site they are great to work with and the quality is good. But I like Randy like the convenience factor of making my own.

Allen Madsen
San Jose, CA.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster