I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Static charge in blank
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2006 11:42AM

With the forced hot air heat we utilize here it seems satic build up is in everything including the rod I`m trying to wrap.Remove the dust and it is back in 2 minutes.Sprayed with water to no avail.Finally went upstairs and got out the Static Guarde spray and sprayed the area and the blank.Seems to have worked however the can does not list the contents.Any thoughts as to what may happen??? if anything at all??.I`m going to try the manufactures web site to see if they have a list of chemicals and also warnings.Also what do you do to combat the static charge concern.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Static charge in blank
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: January 01, 2006 12:59PM

Fred
If you can't find the list, may be try a scrap blank. Wrap some thread on, with and with-out the spray, put finish on, and see what happens ?? You can always wash the blank off, but if it is in the air it may give ( fisheyes ) ?

Date: January 01, 2006 02:00PM

looked on the can again and there is only one ingredient,Ethanol.I overlooked that because I was looking for a much longer list.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Jaime Choy (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: January 01, 2006 04:53PM

Fred Yarmolowicz,
Instead of using a spray, I suggest that you buy an Ionizer. Electronic manufacturing suppliers sell them. The Ionizer will neutralize the static electricity easily.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: January 01, 2006 07:23PM

I have a humidifier in my work room (on low) and I also dip my finger in some water and drip it on the felt of my rod support to keep it from building up static. When putting finish on while the rod is turning, I put a bit more water on that felt area every 20 minutes or so.

I also have an old screen door frame (from one of the screens) that I cut down to size, put a piano hinge on it and also to the wall, and replaced the screen with some tack cloth. After applying the finish, I bring this screen down right over the top of the rod as it's turning. I place another tack cloth over the front edge of this screen frame down to the top of my work bench.

Over top of my heater's outlet in my room, I place another tack cloth to keep any airbornes from circulating.

During the dry, winter months I used to have tons of troubles until I did these things. It solved it for me, Fred.

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: January 02, 2006 08:43AM

Come to think of it this rod is in the hand wrapper not on the rollers and it is rolling in felt.I`m sure that dont help the problem.Thanks all.The spay did the trick although I dodt know if there are any finish problems yet.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: January 02, 2006 09:50AM

Hay Putter
have you ever thought of a spray booth ? Maybe just a long box with some ducting attached and a fan going outside ? Could maybe use it as a heating box also ??

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 02, 2006 12:35PM

for all of you that are haveing static problems one of the bigest problems is not enough grounding in your home and heating and air conditioning systems code calls for x amount of ground for power bumps, lighting and other reasons. ask any electrical enginer about static more grounding is a big help not a complete cure

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: January 03, 2006 12:23AM

Jeez, I gotta move 1/2 my room around as it is to start new projects; to finish wrapping and begin applying finish is 1/2 hour of work just to prepare the little bench I have, Bill. I just don't have room for any more "STUFF"!! LOL! I know us guys like to have our stuff, but there's only so much I can pack in there!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2006 10:05AM

Fred,

Jamie and Randy got it right. The winter months bring low humidity, and with heating cold outside air and forcing it around the house generates lots of static electricity. This really doesn't have much to do with the grounding in your house as the static is generated by the air movement in combination with the low humidity.

You can ionize the air to neutralize the static charge around your work area. This is a common practice in electronics assembly operations where static sensitive devices are used and is done with a benchtop device that costs around $200 to $500. Adding a humidifier in the room or raising the humidity in the way that Randy mentions will also work, in combination with filtering the dust particles as has been discussed in the past.

Good luck.

Terry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster