I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help? Reverse motor
Posted by: Jeff Leonard (---.mc.net)
Date: December 30, 2005 02:57PM

I just purchased a Custompower wrap and found that the motor rotates in the opposite direction I need it to for my application. When tunring handles on the rod I use interal expansion grips and the unit spins in the direction to lossen them.
Anyone know of a way to reverse the direction of rotation for the motor. If not I guess I go back to my 25 year old home made lathe.
Thanks a bunch for your help.

Jeff (muskyfsh)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help? Reverse motor
Posted by: Lynn Huffman (---.dialup6.community-web.net)
Date: December 30, 2005 03:19PM

Jeff,
My CPW has one flat belt and one round belt on the step down unit. Just cross the round belt so it does a figure 8 and it will reverse the rotation.
Lynn

Posted by: Jeff Leonard (---.mc.net)
Date: December 30, 2005 03:41PM

Lynn,

Pure genius, why didn't I think of that? My only concern is premature wear on the belt where it rubs on itself, other than that , brilliant idea! You have saved my day.

Happy Turning,
Jeff (muskyfsh)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 30, 2005 07:03PM

Lynn, I hate you!! I sent an email trying to buy the thing and you had to go a rain on my parade!

Gon fishn

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 30, 2005 08:01PM

Reverse the wires from the motor to the plug.

Posted by: Lynn Huffman (---.dialup6.community-web.net)
Date: December 30, 2005 08:47PM

Sorry Bill,
Better luck next time. Jeff, the belts won't wear as much as you might think, but they're not expensive. Reversing the wiring may also work, but I knew the belt trick would work.

Lynn

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 30, 2005 09:13PM

I would not advise reversing the wires unless I knew exactly how the motor was wired. The figure 8 is much safer. I would hate to see a rod builder electrocuted!

Ed

Posted by: Russ Wilson (---.nas45.washington1.dc.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: December 30, 2005 09:28PM

Jeff
If the motor is a sewing machine motor. You can reverse them by changing the wiring on the brushes inside the motor. I just did two of my own. Reversing the plug wires don't work.
Russ

Posted by: David Henney (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: December 31, 2005 08:58PM

I sold my Powerwrapper because motor turned wrong direction and it ate belts. Then I found out reverse the wires, now I wished I had kept mine. Thanks Dave

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: December 31, 2005 09:36PM

There's apparently more to motors than meets the eye.

I switched the wires to the brushes on an older sewing machine motor and it reversed the direction of rotation just fine. same speed & torque

I tried the same procedure on a more "modern" sewing machine motor and found it changed the rotation, but made the motor have LESS torque & FEWER RPM's than the original configuration, i.e., less powerful..

As far as I know, both motors were AC/DC Universal motors. It would probably be best to get an formal/nformal consultation from a local motor repair/supplier. There's apparently more involved than what was outline in those old Popular Mechanics magizines of my youth.

Hopefully, someone that has expert knowlege will tell us the ins & outs of these universal motors

Stan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2005 10:52PM by Stan Gregory.

Posted by: lane cobb (---.sandia01.nm.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2006 01:49AM

I don't have this problem with my DC gear reduction motors. I just flip a switch to change directions, change voltage to change speed

The thrill is not in the kill

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster