I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Inline Acid!
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: December 30, 2005 12:22AM

Jeez, Derek, that'd just be too darned easy!! LOL! We gotta have some mystique to this rod building, don't we? Make it tough; I think it should have to be lathed out by a professional machinist and sold to the highest bidder!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Neil Toland (---.dsl.louisacomm.net)
Date: December 30, 2005 12:34AM

Randy, Randy, Randy.. I am sure you can marble a bandaid! : )

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 30, 2005 09:26AM

No, you're not nuts, but it might be hard to keep such a thing on a flexible rod blank. The idea of a ring around the blank is excellent, but the fact that the blank needs to able to flex, move and oval means that any such ring that constricts the blank from doing any of these things could well result in a broken blank. Even an O-ring contained in a rigid ring will constrict the blank to some degree. Enough to cause failure? Depends on the blank and the amount of load applied.

Obviously a lot of guys are thinking on this idea and that's good. In the meantime, you can still use the standard bumper guide - it works very well.

Posted by: Scott Throop (---.ventca.adelphia.net)
Date: December 30, 2005 04:36PM

The rubber grommet that I used is very soft, and has a little over 1/16" of cussion between the ring and the blank wall. Plenty of room to allow compression of the blank. Just out of curiosity, I measured this blank in the area where the ring will be installed with a micrometer. With the blank straight It measured at .496". Then I put it in the deflection jig with a scale attatched to the line and loaded the rod to 10lbs. The rod is rated 15-30, so I set it at 1/3 of the max line rating, which is about the working limit of the drag on the reel I used to test. With the rod loaded to what would be the max. it could be fished, the measurement was .500" on the nose... .004" blank compression...easily enough to crack a snug ceramic ring or break the blank without some cussion between. I think the rubber gromit in this case has much less constriction than a guide wrap...and is really not much different than installing a winding check, or one of those rubber hosels typically put on a rod of this type. I'll try to get to wrapping and finishing this rod in the next couple of days, and really put it to the acid test....(I know, lame pun, but I had to...).

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: December 30, 2005 07:11PM

Yeah, as Scott just said, some winding checks come in sizes very compatible with and very close to matching the rod blanks's diameter in these sections of the rod blank. ...

I am looking at the BATSON Components Catalog - FORECAST WINDING CHECKS, on page 67. They have what looks like a nicely polished Winding Check -LTCWC- in ID's that start at 6.4mm (0.252") and go to 16.0mm (0.630"). It is a Titanium-Chrome PVD-Plated over brass ring that comes in (0.3mm to 0.6mm) increments that are bound to fit almost any rod blank. It looks like they would not need any additional preparation to be a suitable bumper ring. And at only ~ $3 each (retail), these TiCh Winding Checks would make a convenient & economical bumper ring.

BATSON / Forecast components are carried by FISHSTICKS4U.com (Sponsor link at left; Robert Tignor, Capt. Ray Brown & Kevin Smith).

Happy New Year, -Cliff Hall+++

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2005 09:27AM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Mark Gibson (---.cpinternet.com)
Date: December 31, 2005 01:19AM

Good idea on the checks. The Batson TiCh plated checks would make a respectably hard and smooth ring surface. If you want a more exotic look you might want to check out some of the agatine rings that Golden Witch sells.

Scott is right in that the blank doesn't oval much in the lower section. But if the blank contacts that ring, the localized stress will go through the roof so it doesn't take much deformation to pop the thing. So long as the ring is loose fitting you'll be fine. Allow something for thermal expansion too if your fitting in a cool shop, consider the blank is going to expand at a faster rate than the ring. Again, I wouldn't under wrap with thread. Tightly wound thread is farily incompressible and I was able to flex and crack one of three test sections with snug thread under wraps. The grommet or any soft rubber/foam is more than compliant enough to do the job of mounting the oversized ring. Leaving it free underneath and capturing the bumper ring on the sides with a couple of O-rings works well and leaves the ring(s) positionable.

I've not had any issue with casting on either the cushioned bumper ring system or with the blank simply left bare for that matter. There’s not too much friction in that section since the line is somewhat loose and flexible in casting. And as Tom indicated, there's really not much sideways pressure, so and the main effort is to provide some degree of protection for rubbing under load.

mark

Posted by: Ed Grella (69.177.44.---)
Date: January 02, 2006 02:13PM

Why not use any ring mentioned above, 1/16"-1/8" larger than the blank and mount it with RTV or another flexible permanent silicone product. RTV comes in colors, it stays flexible at all temps, I'm pretty sure they are not effected by UV rays. Ed

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2006 04:06PM by Ed Grella.

Posted by: Andy Woodford (---.sdnglobal.com)
Date: January 20, 2006 05:42AM

Scott,

I'd just like to say what a great idea. Sooo much neater that the bumper guides.

I'll certainly be using this idea on my next spiral wraped rod.

Thanks for sharing this with us and please let us know if anyone starts producing these commercially.

Cheers

Andy

Cheers

Andy Woodford

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster