I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

gloomis blank weights
Posted by: Bucky Allen (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: December 13, 2005 09:05PM

where can i find out the weights of gloomis blanks? and what do yall think of between a loomis blank or stcroix blank? which blanks would be best all around performance? casting and spinnig for bass

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: gloomis blank weights
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 13, 2005 09:13PM

Have you tried their web sites?

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 13, 2005 09:17PM

Don't know about the weights, but you need to compare equivalent model lines with each other. For instance, you can't compare a Loomis GL2 with a St Croix SC V or a St. Croix SC II with a Loomis GLX.. For the most part, I prefer St. Croix over Loomis but I'm sure that there are just as many that prefer the Loomis. I know it's not much help!!

Mike

Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.hot.res.rr.com)
Date: December 13, 2005 10:02PM

I too had the same question, as I have used Loomis IMX and GLX rods almost exclusively over the past ten years and didn't know how to compare them... there is not an apples to apples way to compare the two. I wonder if we called mudhole or one of the other suppliers that carried both, if they would weigh some similarly rated blanks. Unfortunately my leverage is gone, my wife ordered a couple SCIII & SCV blanks last week for Christmas gifts. (to me!!!!) Maybe someone else who is going to buy one or the other could see if they will weight the Loomis blank to compare. I would be happy to do it but I will not need any new blanks until I build the ones already ordered... and since I'm a new builder, it may be a while.

Any suppliers or custom builders reading this that have one of each in the same rating you would be willing to weigh and post results? If so, thank you!

Eagerly awaiting...

keith neidhart

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 13, 2005 10:26PM

Personally, I think that I would take the SC V over the GLX. Keep one thing in mind though. Weight is not necessarily an indication of a better blank. I think that the reason that the manufacturer's are shying away from listing blank weights is because some builders place far more importance on blank weght than they should. Weight is just one of many characteristics a blank should be judged on.

Mike

Posted by: Tony Ertola (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 13, 2005 10:38PM

Hook and Hackle lists the weights for loomis blanks. Suprisingly they are quite heavy compared to other high end blanks though they feel quite light in hand to me. I think that the weight distribution is more important than the actual wt. The one St Croix rod that I owned(SCV 9'5wt 4pc) felt much heaver, expecially out at the tip (swing weight).

Tony

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 14, 2005 10:41AM

There is far too much difference in blank materials and related actions and powers to be able to really compare weights. In my experience, the Loomis and Shikari blanks are generally a bit lighter per model, per performance level, than other makes. They also generally cost more.

Frankly, any of the major brands in the upper price points are going to give you great performance. It really just boils down to your own personal preferences in action, power, color, etc. Very few actual "bad" blanks are on the market these days.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster