I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: When did you start Rodbuilding?
Posted by: Steve Broadwell (66.0.190.---)
Date: December 07, 2005 04:16PM

Well, I am an amateur also, but would like to see if I can make this into a full-time job in a few years. I'm 55, and would like to stop all the traveling and worry that comes along with my regular job in 5 or 6 years. So far I have made 12 rods, and sold 10 of them (kept one for myself, and gave one to a good friend). Right now I have two more sold when I can get around to making them. Working just on weekends, and the occassional night when I am at home, I can't do too much. I did put up a little website, though, just to have some credibility. I did it myself with an outfit called Site Skins, and it only costs $7.95 per month.
Interestingly, when I was 18 and had just started fishing, I was taken under the wing of an old guy named Cal Parker, in Roswell, GA. He was retired from the phone company (only one phone company in those days) and he reparied reels and Coleman camping products, and made custom rods. I hung around his place a lot, and when I was about 20 he tried to sell me the place. I have wished many times lately that I had taken him up on that. If so, I would have 35 years in the business by now.
Steve Broadwell

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jim Wilson (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: December 07, 2005 06:06PM

Started when I was 11 years old, took a slight vacation of 52 years, back at it again for the last 4 years.
Jim Wilson

Posted by: Jim Benenson (164.64.146.---)
Date: December 07, 2005 06:08PM

When I moved to Manchester VT in 1966, my first job was working on bamboo blanks in the Orvis factory (under the watchful eye of Wes Jordan). I only worked in the factory for a short time, then moved on to doing their catalog photography, so I stayed close to the shop. I built my first rod in 1967:a 3-pc bamboo salmon rod for my brother. It was an ambitious project for a beginner, but Wes and the other people helped me through it. I built a few, including one of the first fiberglas rods (for my mother), then managed to break free of the addiction. Fortunately, the break wasn't permanent. I started building again last year.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: December 07, 2005 08:02PM

I started rod building when I was 23 years old, back in the Spring of 1983. That is when the first batch of factory-made fishing rods that I had purchased in 1977-78 reached the end of its natural useful life (at the rate that I was using them) before needing some real repairs to be of any further use. Necessity was the mother of my invention, as it was for many others. ... and the rest is history.

Thank God for the modern resources and flow of knowledge available in the last 2 decades and 2 years, which have made it possible to go from being an isolated pioneer to a plugged-in aficionado. Forerunners like Rod-Crafters and Dale Clemens; and the new guardian of the craft, Tom Kirkman; and Interactive Forums like TK's RBO; and the wealth of Components, Suppliers, and instructional materials out there have made it possible to improve your rod-building skills almost as fast as you can log-on, read, watch a video or build another project.

This is a great time to be a builder of custom fishing rods. And the future is as bright as ever, and as wide as the horizon, especially now that having a website can act as a 24/7 salesman to drum up business. -Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA*****

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 07, 2005 08:26PM

Around 1985, mostly for personal consumption, or to help a friend out.

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.an3.chi30.da.uu.net)
Date: December 07, 2005 10:13PM

April of 2001 I got started. Gee I was 41. Never forget that day cause I almost lost my little finger at work the day my first kit came. My finger got smashed in a door which turned out if I would have broke the bone, I would have lost the finger. The next day all bandaged up I started building away, and never stopped. Don't plan to either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2005 10:14PM by Jim Rippe.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: December 07, 2005 10:43PM

About 4 years ago - got a late start at age 64, but better late than never. Great fun. Just wish I'd started in my 20's.
Stan

Posted by: Tom nair (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 08, 2005 12:32AM

I started building last year. I was having a sage xp built for me because I could not find 7 weight with a nice would insert and no fighting but. While I helped the builder select the componets I learned quite a bit about the process. I have completed three rods and I am having a great time. The cataloges are like candy and the websites are cake. This is a great pastime and I'm real pleased that I tried it. I only wish the building process would take a little longer. You can really wrap up some bucks in this game at one rod built in a few hours.

Posted by: Denis Labrecque (---.gci.net)
Date: December 08, 2005 01:55AM

I started building a 2 years ago. I had a chance to fish with a friends custom rod and knew I had to figure it out for myself.
I now have about 30 rods under my belt, and about 6 or 7 of them I'm proud of, the rest are OK but not quite up to my best. I'll keep on trying till I can get all f them rite...I hope.

Posted by: Richard Popola (---.carnival.com)
Date: December 08, 2005 12:17PM

Since 1957. I was 14 years old.
Rick

Posted by: Greg Vogel (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: December 08, 2005 04:04PM

Built my first one the summer I turned 15 (1974) and I am still learning new things all the time and come up on things that baffle me still.

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.na.baesystems.com)
Date: December 08, 2005 05:12PM

I started in the late 1970's when I was in my early twenties. Before I ever built a complete rod, I rebuilt several rods that I already had. Some of those H-I rods barely had any finish on the windings as they came from the factory, so the rods would need a rewrap before long. My first work was very sloppy as I used Q-tips to apply varnish to the wraps. Even so, the results were still better than what came out of the factory!

Posted by: Mark B. Gonsalves (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: December 08, 2005 08:40PM

Aloha Everyone. Started building in '84 at the age of 24. There's some improvement but not a WHOLE lot. Started on Fenwicks and Sabres. Still have some of them in use. Hard to beat the feeling of catching fish on a rod you built yourself with bait you caught yourself.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster