I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Off Topic - - Small Reel Question
Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 12:43PM

Fellow rodbuilders,

I would like to know what reel you're using on the superlight bush wackin' fly rods you're constructing.

I absolutely love the Redington CT 2/3 reel that has since been discontinued. It was light, works great, and came in black or chrome which could fit any color schemed rod.

I picked up one for under $40 including tax (believe it or not) and could kick myself in the .... for not purchasing all of them that the retailer had at the time.

Anyway...since I thoroughly enjoy the pack rods and fishing for small natives throughout PA and WVA, I am concerned about the reels available for the rods I am constructing in the 0/1 - 3Wt and 6-7.5' length. Most seem to be quite heavy and there are very few available that are even rated for 2Wt and under?!

What are you using as a reel on these setups?

Thank you!

Domenic Federico
Infinity Rod Creations

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Off Topic - - Small Reel Question
Posted by: vance corbett (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 12:56PM

Dom... Ross Evolution "0" , Galvan Standard 2.5 and 2.75, and Orvis BBS II are all excellent reels for sneaking up on brookies with light rods... These range in price from $129 to $180... They're all worth the money based on reliability and warranty. I use the Ross Cimmaron # 1 for 4 weights and the Evolution for the 2 and 3 weights. Haven't seen much in the way of less expensive models unless you want to buy a Pflueger Medalist in the smallest size... Not a bad reel at all, but you can't change the retrieve from right to left. I'm interested in the other responses you receive. Best Regards, Vance

Posted by: David Lester (---.mad.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 01:01PM

I recently built a 6'6" 2 wt. I tried my Hardy Featherweight with it, and found it too heavy at 3.4 oz plus line. I purchased an Abel TR/Light, and that's too heavy, 3.1 oz. I now have a Hardy Flyweight coming (2.75 oz), I hope that will balance well.

The other reels fit well with the 7'9" 2 wt and the 3 wt rods I have. I just have a problem with my short rod.

I don't know of any economy reels that light, but I haven't researched that.

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 03:42PM

I am a fan of Ross Evolution reels. They are the most comfortable reels I have ever tried. Superb drag system and ergonomics. Very well made and light in every size. You might also try the Waterworks ULA Purist reels. At 2.6 oz for the ULA P.1 they claim these to be the lightest machined reels made. They are rated for 2-4# line which is somewhat surprising to me. I don't know why they would not be suited for much lighter lines. Much pricier than the Ross offerings.
Dave

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: December 03, 2005 04:10PM

The Forbes Magnesium is supposed to be 2.2 oz and a nice light rod reel. I don't think you want to small a reel, the little ones don't take up much line per revolution.

Posted by: Mike Marrone (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2005 04:31PM

I bought a Forbes Magnesium this summer for about $80. It is very light balances great on my Dan Craft 1 weight, holds enough line, and is a decent reel. I strongly considered both the Hardy Flyweight and the Lamson ULA Purist, but couldnt afford either of them. The only complaint I have about the Forbes is that it isn't built as solid as the Hardy or the Lamson - the reel and the reel foot are all one piece, which really doesnt effect much, but bothers me. When I compare the reel side by side to an older Orvis Battenkill the Orvis is a much better built reel. The reel however is more than sufficient for what it is suited for and I have been happy with it. If I had more money, I would have bought the Hardy, the Lamson is also a great reel. You can't go wrong with any of these reels all three will get the job done and are light enough to balance a 1 weight rod.

Mike Marrone

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 06:15PM

Check out the reel in the pictures here:

[www.thelongestcast.com]

It's a Bass Pro Shops Ultralight...weighs in at about 2.2oz and is GREAT on my tiny rods. Very similar to the old Redington CTs. I believe it is 2.5" diameter. The only thing I might change with it is the drag is a bit weak...can get a bit of overrun at times.

I loved those CTs too and combed about every Dick's Sporting Goods and Hudson Trail in the DC/MD/VA/PA area buying up their remaining stock a few months ago :). I still have a couple of them, but found that their click drags liked to explode at inopportune times...so I sold off the rest of them.

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster