I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Are reel seats truely necessary- Long Winded
Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: December 02, 2005 10:16PM

I am looking at building several long rods for personal use and find myself dealing with the issue of reel seals and their proper placement. Are they truely necessary? The rods I am in the process of designing on paper before building are all 9'6" or better in length and I find myself questioning reel seats. They cost money, and I am building on a budget.

I am also looking at altenate grip types wanting to get away from cork, hypalon, and eva. I am leaning toward grips made of friction tape, rubberized cork tape(bike grips), and patterned cord with shrinkwrap covering. The materials I can easily get my hands on. These grips would allow flexible placement of the reel for different situations and species.

The question arises however, as to how to attach the reel to the grip. I know about electrical tape and hose clamps but I would like to get some input from you good folks as to possible alternatives.

Searching the archives as well.

Thank you all

dsrtegl2004atsbcglobaldotnet

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Are reel seats truly necessary- Long Winded
Posted by: Anonymous User (203.212.144.---)
Date: December 02, 2005 10:30PM

Derek,

Down here in Australia and particular South East Queensland, there is a common style of rod that we build here for a fish species called whiting, basically it is a around a 10ft blank for the grip and seat area we use the Fuji plate reel seat and basically nothing else except a Fuji tapered butt cap. This setup is very lite weight, I have used cork tape, leather and cord but the preferred method is bare blank.. The reel if an Alvey is used you mount nearer to the butt. If a spinning reel is used I usually set it at around forearm length.

Re: Are reel seats truely necessary- Long Winded
Posted by: Scott Wood (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 02, 2005 10:47PM

Sounds like you might be looking for reel coasters.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

This pic is an example of some breakaway coasters on one of my heavers. There is another "metal banded" coaster available as well. If I can find a pic I'll post it for you.

/Scott

Date: December 02, 2005 11:10PM

Here's the other one.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Scott

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 02, 2005 11:37PM

I find that surgical tape, that cloth-backed white tape, holds the reel in place much better since it has pratically no stretch.

Lou

Posted by: Charles Clayton (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: December 03, 2005 04:47AM

Derek McMaster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am looking at building several long rods for
> personal use and find myself dealing with the
> issue of reel seals and their proper placement.
> Are they truely necessary? The rods I am in the
> process of designing on paper before building are
> all 9'6" or better in length and I find myself
> questioning reel seats. They cost money, and I am
> building on a budget.
>
> I am also looking at altenate grip types wanting
> to get away from cork, hypalon, and eva. I am
> leaning toward grips made of friction tape,
> rubberized cork tape(bike grips), and patterned
> cord with shrinkwrap covering. The materials I
> can easily get my hands on. These grips would
> allow flexible placement of the reel for different
> situations and species.
>
Sounds good Myles ,would you mind mentioning the bank you use
down south we generally use you standard 7 ft flick rod.

I’ve built up a few FSU 4120 for rock fishing using a lower pipe seat
for an alvey and the upper plate seat for a threadline on the same rod.
Cords good for a grip but gets messy and hard to clean so nowadays
I'm happy with the bare blank look .
Regards Charlie

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: December 03, 2005 10:27AM

No (short-winded).

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.lax.megapath.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 06:32PM

Instead of electrical tape, try using silicon tape (I have also seen it called "Plumber's tape" and "Tommy Tape"). Secure the reel to the handle, blank, grip, whatever, and then wrap over with the silicon tape. You stretch the tape as you wrap, and after twenty-four hours setting, it is like concrete. It bonds to itself, and is much like shrink wrap. Additionally, it has no adhesives, so there is no gooey mess in hot summer weather. It is readily available at good hardware stores or plumbing supply stores, and is cheap. To remove it requires some cutting, but it is simply done and there is no residue.
Tight lines!
Hunter

Posted by: warren commander (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 07:08PM

How about zip ties to secure the reel. Like the ones used in electronics and for handcuffs. For the grip you could get a leatherette type wrap like the ones used for replacement grips on golf clubs and baseball bats.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: December 04, 2005 01:00AM

Is it just me or do those coaster look like they would SERIOUSLY get in the way. I am leaning toward industrial grade heat shrink tubing to seat the reel to the grip which should work as I am using mostly conventional reels.

Derek

Posted by: Levi Farster (---.essex1.com)
Date: December 04, 2005 06:53AM

That wasn't really long winded. I like reels as much as the rods they are fit to, and I change reels alot. And, I like reel seats, if I broke a reel, I could change out if I carried another reel, which I typically do not. But may start to, if I ever get time to fish next year. Levi

Date: December 04, 2005 03:53PM

Derek, the coasters actually don't get in the way at all. The rear coaster acts as a trigger and the front is offset slightly to keep it out of the way. They're really useful when you want to experiment with reel position, or just want to change the position of the reel to satisfy different situations, which is the case for the pic of the black coasters I posted above. I can fish the rod "high reel" and then mount a reel at the bottom of the rod to cast in a low reel position for distance casting.
/Scott

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster