I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New SCIII Blanks
Posted by: Steve Jenkins (---.228.129.198.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: December 01, 2005 10:47AM

Hi All,

I am just curious if anyone has had a chance to check out the new St. Croix Avid blanks with IPC. If so, what are your thoughts as compared to the older models? Thanks in advance for your comments. Take care.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New SCIII Blanks
Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: December 02, 2005 09:34AM

I'm disappointed nobody has responded - I would love to know the same information. My perception is that the popularity of St. Croix fly blanks has dropped off from a few years ago. I could be wrong. It just seems that a few years ago, the SCII, SCIII, and SCIV were very popular and much discussed and now you don't hear many people talking about the SCIII, IV, and V and the SCII have been discontinued. Any thoughts on this? Are people building lots of the new SCIV and SCV blanks but just not adding them to the CCS database? My 4F864 is still my favorite fly rod of all time. And I just picked up a 4F865 factory rod on @#$%& so I can strip and rebuild it custom (couldn't find the discontinued blank anywhere).

Posted by: Ladd Flock (---.bootp.Virginia.EDU)
Date: December 02, 2005 10:39AM

I have always enjoyed these smooth casting, reasonably priced, Wisconsin made blanks. After casting older and newer St. Croix blanks/rods, I believe IPC is the real deal and am glad they reworked the III series to include this technological plus. ART is pretty cool, too, on the higher end rods -- I have seen and held this reinforcing pre-preg - neat stuff, especially for the ferrules.

Sponsors, feel free to add comments, too... anyone have these in stock yet? Will there be any blanks to check out at the Charlotte show?

Best, Ladd

Posted by: Galen Briese (134.129.79.---)
Date: December 02, 2005 11:33AM

Fellows, the IPC technology has been out for some time now, and is an excellent made blank, I have personally been to the factory, for the Guild 's North Central gathering and built blanks on this setup and have wrapped them for my own blanks, and they truly are a delight to use. I also have two blanks that I built at the Guild get together this year with the ART technology, and in my opinion are the most advanced blank built in the USA or anywhere in the world for that matter. These are offered in the SCIV and SCV blanks to date, and I can hardly wait to wrap them. The engineering staff at St Croix have really blown the roof on blank design in my opinion. The ART technology is available on blanks made after June 2005

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: December 02, 2005 01:30PM

Good to hear. I would also like to see a picture of one because I am not sure what "sultry canteen green pearl" is supposed to mean. I noticed that they did the same thing to the III series that they did to the IV series - made most of them 4pc. models and added some new models too.

My only exerience with IPC so far has been by building and casting the 4F793.4 and 4F804.4 and I have to say that those are two very sweet rods. Very smooth and I noticed the slimmer ferrules. If the IPC can lighten up the IIIs a bit, and the price is about the same as before, they should be a good choice for a lot of people.

Posted by: Jon Erbacher (209.240.205.---)
Date: December 02, 2005 05:30PM

i just got my new mudehole catalog and they have all the new st.croix fly blanks im too wondering what canteen green looks like

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster