I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ok who is Tom kirkman
Posted by: Chris Colome (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: November 29, 2005 11:50AM

Sorry about this but like I said earlier I am new to rod building so please help me understand. Who is Tom Kirkman I know he wrote a book on rod building but why is his book so much better then lets say Art Scheck book. How many years has he been building rods. What area of the country doe's he live in. And I cannot find his book please someone give me some info on Tom. thank you Chris Colome

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ok who is Tom kirkman
Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: November 29, 2005 12:07PM

say with an urban twang and ephasis...... DAAHHH MAAAANNNNN! LOL!

Infinity Rod Creations
Domenic Federico

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: November 29, 2005 12:08PM

Who is Art Scheck? How long has he been fishing? Where does he fish? how many MArlin has he caught on fishign trips? Does he have any kids? Where was he born?

Posted by: Neal Cissel (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: November 29, 2005 12:15PM

Tom Kirkman, is one of the most knowledgeable rod builders, a very pleasant person to talk to and get information from. He started this sight for all to learn from, from a novice to a beginner. Yes he has written a book on rod building, I'm not sure how many years he has been building fishing rods but I know it's been a long time. I have never met Tom in person, but I have chatted with him over the phone and I feel he is a straight shooter. I hope this answers some of your questions about Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.dc1.textron.com)
Date: November 29, 2005 12:16PM

I think you would need a pretty huge book to adequately answer that question.
Here's a link to the book at mudhole, ?I'm sure you can find it elsewhere as well.
Hope this helps.

[shop.mudhole.com]

Posted by: Tim Johnson (---.ma.dl.cox.net)
Date: November 29, 2005 12:19PM

Sit back, watch, read, LISTEN, and you too will learn from the wisdom that the master shares.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 29, 2005 12:34PM

Tom is the guy who provides us with this forum, is the publisher/Editor/janitor of Rodmaker magazine, the force behind the National Rodbuilding Show and, besides being one heck of a guy, has probably done more for the craft of rodbuilding than anyone.

As for his book, It's the newsest, most up to date book available (been years since any of the other available books were written). is geared toward the novice, extremely well written step by steps with over 100 pix and costs about $15. Available from just about any of the component dealers on the left!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 29, 2005 12:36PM

I'm really not comfortable with this sort of thing. I wrote a book for Frank Amato a few years ago - we wanted something that would lead a beginner through the steps of building a rod but also provide some good technical information to help explain why certain things are done. In other words, it's more than a simple paint by the numbers book, but it's not hard to follow and use.

Art Scheck was once the editor of SaltWater Fly Fishing Magazine (I think that's the one - I sometimes get all the fly fishing magazines confused). He built a few rods back a few years ago and was asked by the folks at Countyman Press to do something for them on basic rod building. So he did. If you follow his book I have no doubt you'll be able to build a nice rod and enjoy using it.

Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.119.---)
Date: November 29, 2005 12:48PM

After I got the Scheck book I had a brief phone conversation with him. I wanted to ask him about some of this thoughts on rod spine that I had read in the book. What I found out and what he was very open about was that he was not an accomplised rod builder. He said he was just a guy that had learned how to build a basic fly rod and wanted to help others like himself also learn how to do basic rod construction. Or something like that. I was a bit amazed to find out that I had a lot more rod building experience than he did.

Anybody can write a book on any subject if they have the money or the backing. But if I ever write a book on rod building you would be a fool to buy it.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: November 29, 2005 01:16PM

What I think makes Tom's projects (this site, the magazine, the book) most useful is that they all approach the subject of rodbuilding by asking questions, such as why or why not or how or how not to do something. Rather than merely recycling information (good or bad), Tom introduces new methods and materials that - NOW GET THIS - help a person build a better fishing rod. That's why I'm here, why I own the book, and why I subscribe to the magazine. Plus, Tom's projects cover all kinds of rods, not just one type like many other books and sites that tend to focus on fly rods only.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.lax.centurytel.net)
Date: November 29, 2005 02:31PM

With out Tom we would not have this site to make our comments This site is designed for newbies and experieced rod designers to share and ask questions on the art of rod building. Tom also does his home work when it comes to rod buiding products. Tom him self is a custom rod designer. Just look at the coments about Tom and thats all you need to know about him.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: November 29, 2005 02:53PM

Yeah, who the heck is Tom Kirkman?? Would the real TK please stand up? LOL!

Site, mag, and book are all first rate; he ain't bad in person, either ;)

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Bill Tune (---.147.9-243.newsouth.net)
Date: November 29, 2005 03:38PM

My wife asked me that same question a few years ago when I told her I "needed" a bunch of rod stuff and Tom's book was high on the list!
All kidding aside this site, the magazine and I am sure the show are all excellent for rod builders and I continue to be surprised by the new information Tom can come up with. Most of my hobbies hit a peak after a few years, my rod building has not. Tom has had a lot to do with getting us builders together to share and grow the craft.

Posted by: Jim Reid (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 29, 2005 03:58PM

I’ve been building rods since 1972. I met Tom in a local tackle shop in the late 70’s or early 80’s. They built rods in the back and a lot of rod builders hung out there. VQ Sprinkle, Mike Bolt, the Long Brothers, Bobby Smith, Paul New and bunch of others. We bought stuff from Merrick and Clemens through the shop. Everbody would bring rods by and talk about fishing and rod building. Surf fishing and surf rods mostly.

Tom started helping them out with their rod building in about ‘81 I think. He was younger than the rest of us and a heck of a lot better at rod building than any of us. We were all pretty good, but Tom just walked in one day and he already knew how to do all the fancy thread wrapping, grip inlaying, shading, weaving, wood turning, finishing, repairing and all that. It got to the point where a lot of the rod building guys found excuses to go by there just to watch Tom work. I never saw any customer approach him with anything he couldn’t do. Bobby Smith was a partner in the business and had been doing the rod building chores but he had diabetes and had to cut back. Tom was a big help to them and I heard Bobby say more than once that Tom could do things with a rod that he had no idea how to do.

I disagree with Tom on a lot of things and his ideas on business are all wrong. But he’s more than qualified to write a book on rod building. Go to the photo page and check his gallery of work. There’s a lot stuff he’s done that’s not in there but there is enough for you to see that he does know what he’s talking about.

I have no idea who Art Scheck is. For all I know he may be the world's greatest rod builder. But I've never seen any of his work so I can't really say.

Posted by: Ralph Tomaccio (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 29, 2005 04:34PM

I have read Tom's book, as well as Art Sheck's and L.A. Garcia's.

Of the three, I would say that the most "to the point" book is Tom's.

For the most general information, background info and details on rod building, I would say Art's book.

The one I would not bother buying if I had to do it over would be L.A. Garcia's.

As always, there were a few points in all three where the authors disagreed. But, for the most part, all are solid references in how to build your first rod.

I found that NONE of them alone answered all my questions but, between the three, I was able to come to a satisfying answer to most. The forum fills in all the details!

Posted by: Sammy Mickel (64.53.8.---)
Date: November 29, 2005 05:29PM

I'll keep it simple: A good friend, a heck of a fisherman and a smart businessman. If you need to find out for yourself come to the National Rodbuilders Show. You won't be disapointed.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 29, 2005 05:41PM

I've learned more about rodbuilding from the magazine & this site than I thought there was to know, and, I've learned, mostly, that there is So much more to learn. Because of Tom Kirkman! Buy Tom's book if you haven't already. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: vance corbett (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: November 29, 2005 07:33PM

Chris... It appears that your question has been answered fairly. I thought I would add my thoughts to sort of complete the answer. Instead of judging the rod building books one against the other, you might consider these books complimentary works. Buy the Kirkman, Scheck, and L.A. Garcia books with your lunch money. Buy the Clemens book for your wife for Christmas. Wrap it up and put it under the tree. When she opens it Christmas morning, you simply say "Honey... I know you've wanted this for a long time." Then you ask if she'll let you read it when she's finished. Worked for me. Regards, Vance

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: November 29, 2005 08:13PM

Rod Building Guide, by Tom Kirkman $15
Step by Step instructions for crafting your own custom fishing rod. Building a spinning, casting, surf, fly or offshore rods, Rod Building Guide will explain the how and why in clear, concise text with nearly 100 full color photographs. 51 pages paperback.

ROD-MAKER MAGAZINE, published bi-monthly by Tom Kirkman.
$27 / (6 issues per 12 months). [www.rodmakermagazine.com]. Custom Rod-Building’s PREMIER magazine, nothing else even comes close to it in quality, content or innovation. Period. Order a subscription as soon as you think rod-building is for you. And as far as back issues go, order soon so you won't have to worry about back-issues running out. There simply is no other rod building magazine that can compare for quality and expertise with RMM.

THE 2006 NATIONAL ROD BUILDERS SHOW:
The World's Premier Event For Custom Rod Builders,
Produced by Tom Kirkman.
February 25 & 26, 2006, 9AM to 6PM Saturday & Sunday
Charlotte Convention Center, Charlotte, NC
[home.earthlink.net]

RODBUILDING.ORG: [www.rodbuilding.org]
The world’s best Forum for rod-builders, and the best Archives for current rod-building knowledge. The RBO SEARCH Engine has a database of ~ 29,000 different Message Threads, totaling more than 170,000 Replies, spread over 576 webpages. Started in June 2001 by Tom Kirkman.

RBO PHOTO GALLERY: Linked to RBO and TK, this is THE place to see the state of the art in custom rod-building from around the world. [www.rodbuilding.org]

Introduction Posted by: Tom Kirkman Date: June 12, 2001 08:48AM
06/12/01 - [www.rodbuilding.org]

I want to take a moment and welcome you all to this new rod building site. There are no underlying motives - it is designed for the promotion and dissemination of rod building information to all interested in the rod building craft.

It is my hope that eventually the manufacturers and vendors who supply our craft will get involved. I would like this to be a place where you, the rod builder, can ask questions not only of other builders, but also of the very people who make the products you use. Likewise, I hope the manufacturers and vendors will take this opportunity to obtain feedback from their customers - the builders. …

It is my hope that you will be able to get informative answers to your questions here. Please do not expect me to answer all questions - I neither have all the answers nor the time to reply to each one. Take advantage of the wide array of rod building experience and wisdom that can be gained by the widespread participation of all. …

I hope you enjoy this new message board. It has been constructed on your behalf. -Tom Kirkman

Posted by: Levi Farster (---.essex1.com)
Date: November 30, 2005 04:51AM

I am more worried about what will happen if Tom gets bored of the whole rodbuilding scene, and pulls chocks. Who is gonna run this site? I haven't even gone to my first rodbuilders show yet, and I'm really lookin forward to this feb. Levi

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster