I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Painting Reel Seats
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: October 13, 2005 03:43PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

I know there have been a few threads on this topic, but the information is not clear at all. I'm looking to paint a couple of seats, and want to get it right the first time, I don't want to waste $25 per seat (Fuji ferruled Seats).

What is the exact process? Do I have to prime the seat, sand it, what specifically is the best and easiest brand of paint to use. I know from the prior threads, Permaglos should be used as a final coat.

How about painting the hoods? I would love to paint them Shiny Gold, since the Ferruled seats only come in Silver I have little choice...unless someone has come up with a suitable paint.

I'm looking to match a couple of GUSA Ox Blood Red Metallic blanks, and I want to get it as close as possible. How can I tell from a picture on a can of paint how close it will be to teh color of the blank? Or will I have to guess & trial and error it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Painting Reel Seats
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 13, 2005 04:47PM

Powder painting/coating is the ticket and there are some good hobby type kits coming on the market (although some current ones are pure junk). An article in a near future issue of RodMaker will outline the process as well as offer tips on the best guns/ovens and kits on the market. I"ve done a few seats and am quickly whittling down the really good systems and processes from those that leave quite a bit to be desired, at least for rod building items.

In a nutshell, a charge is applied to the part being coated and the powder. There is very little waste as the powder will only adhere to the part itself, what is left falls into a bin for later use, much like flocking. After the part is coated it is put into an oven for a prescribed length of time at a specific temperature and out comes a very beautiful and extremely durable painted part. Unfortunately, while the process is fairly simple, there are plenty of ways to foul it up. Thus, the comprehensive article.

This may not help you right now, and beyond that I'm not sure what type of regular paint will adhere or work well on a reel seat. I'm sure others will offer some ideas.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: October 13, 2005 06:35PM

Grab seagull, feed well, cage over reel seats. Wah-lah; instant marbled reel seats, Billy!!

Seriously, I've only marbled them and haven't tried to paint yet. On the colors, it's basically trying them on a test spot of the same background color and mixing two colors to get the right match.

There's etching chemicals that can 'clean' anything to prepare a surface for painting. Most good paint shops sell this, Billy. I agree on the Permagloss overcoat, that's what I'd do. Maybe the Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane. I've got some but still need to put it through my personal integrity test...

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 13, 2005 10:17PM

Billy, do your customers drive Cadaliac Escalades with Gold Spinners on wheel hubs and a Snoopy on the dash? If your search leads you to Fusion Paint for plastic parts mask well and don't touch for two days - wait 10 days before you get it near any finish or top coat other than clear automotive clear coat! I painted a couple of blanks red and waited three weeks before I could apply finish to the thread without totally dissolving the Fusion. I painted six for trout fishermen that got sold and they have held up pretty well for about 6 months - I would hate to see them in another year! I have some gold lock down rings for size 16 exposed blank seats. They suck in saltwater! The powder paint Tom K. is teasing me with sounds like another Charlotte teaser.

Gon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2005 10:18PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.200-68.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 13, 2005 10:40PM

Tom-

Look forward to that article! Have wanted to play with it myself, but haven't gotten around to it. Still playing with seeing how well painted blanks are gonna hold up.

Phil

Posted by: david williams (---.formysite.com)
Date: October 14, 2005 06:04AM

BILLY
i dont know much about the reel seats but (what are they made out of ) alum.? or what
check with an automotive paint store.
if they are aluminum then their is a preping stage that will have to be done in order to get the paint to stick to the aluminum. if not the paint will peel off.

david williams

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 15, 2005 02:01AM

Go to the cheap seats, reel seats, that is. At least until you get the technique down. IMO. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster