I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Speaking of Paint.
Posted by: Wayne T. Dye (12.153.240.---)
Date: April 08, 2004 11:01PM

Hi all
Just thought I would throw this out for you all. Tuesday I saw a Mustang Convertible that was painted in the holographic paint.You know like the guides, It changed colors as you looked at it from different angles. Well I thought COOL, but how cool would it be to be able to paint a blank that way.On my way to work I pass an auto paint supply store, since I needed some 1/4 in masking tape I stoped and while getting my tape I nonchalantly ask the price of this type of paint. The guy answered as nonchalantly as I that it sold for around $300.00 a PINT, and wanted to know how many GALLONS I wanted.I told him all I needed was the tape, paid my $1.78 and beat a hasty retreat. I don't think I will be painting any Holographic blanks for awhile. But you have to admit that a Holographic blank with matching guides and reelseat would be AWSOME. But I will leave that project to you pros,my luck I would screw it up and waste the paint. :(

Wayne
Six Mile Creek Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Speaking of Paint.
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 08, 2004 11:09PM

I guess you didn't see the cover of the last issue of Rodmaker? Holo guides and blank with clear mono thread. Nice effect. OutCast used to supply holo painted blanks.

Posted by: Sing-Choong Foo (160.33.20.---)
Date: April 08, 2004 11:10PM

Like the guide inserts, the paint is not holographic.

The correct word, I remember, is goniochromatic.

-Sing

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2004 11:26PM

For those seeking color:

[www.alsacorp.com]

color shifting, glow in the dark, crazed (marbleized), candy colors,
chromatic, photochromatic..........

NOT INEXPENSIVE ...

Also 'look left' at Klass Kote...

Posted by: John DeWitt (---.nnorth.denison.edu)
Date: April 08, 2004 11:39PM

The paint you're speaking of is referred to as Chameleon paint (I believe). One of my buddies checked it out for his car and the estimate was close to $5000--no thanks. It looks awesome, but the pricetag is WAY too high. Maybe you could see if a bunch of guys wanted to go in on some of it together? Just a thought....

John

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.150.23.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 08, 2004 11:44PM

Plasti-Kote has that color paint in a spray can. Call places like Pep Boys or some of the auto parts suppliers around your area. It is called "Cameleon" Check there site. Just type in Plasti-Kote

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.centcom.mil)
Date: April 10, 2004 06:04PM

It is available in spray paints as well... dupli-color and plasti-cote. I'm going to try it some day.... I'm assuming that it would be best coated with Permaglos or something after painting the blank?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster