I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cp problem ,
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: October 04, 2005 10:57PM

Mixed 4parts 811 Gudebrod with 1part isopropyl alcohol applied it to the guide threads . Went back to the first guide that I did and the solution was dried and I had a gel like substance on a portion of the wrapping that would not come off with the brush .This was in a span of 30 seconds. I was able to wipe it off with a paper towel and water.I brushed it on so the guide was completely covered, no threads showing. Well soaked but not dripping. Ive used this stuff and never had a problem.This was my second attempt. My first attempt I did 12 guides all with the same result.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cp problem ,
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 04, 2005 11:18PM

Better to thin the 811 with water. I have thinned with isopropyl and have had similar results!
I think the isopropyl causes the 811 to set quicker. Like a dummy I had not read the lable the
first time I used it & almost had to re-wrap!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 05, 2005 07:31AM

THE bottle says to thin with water, or Denatured Alcohol? Regardless, tehre are 100 posts saying if you're gonna thin 811, to do so with Denatured.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 05, 2005 07:59AM

You also likely over-thinned the product. 20% can be bit much. But I don't think that wast the problem here.

Also, the 811 is a much faster drying product than the straight water based acrylics. You can't brush it around for very long - just one or two revolutions and then you have to leave it alone. It sets very quickly.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: October 05, 2005 09:31AM

Tom - you'd be surprised how thin you can make 811, almost watery thin like Flex Coat CP - and it still works very well, imo better than when it's thicker since it soaks into the threads better. THe biggest problem I see with 811 - is that depending on how old it is the consistancy changes. So it's very difficult for someone on teh internet to tell another person you need to cut it with 10%, 5%, 20% - I've given up on that, and I thin it to teh same consistancy and have had much more "consistant" results.

The other MAJOR problem with any CP, is people are relying on other people to tell them what works. If you can take 15 minutes to log on and ask about it on line, then you can certainly spend 5 minutes wrapping a test stick and seeing how it works out. I'm not saying to not post here, but you gotta spend some time on your own to make sure what your attempting will work.

Date: October 05, 2005 09:43AM

I wish I had time to go back and pick up the excess, Im talking of a drying time of 20 seconds.What is your ratio and what do yoy use for thinning?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 05, 2005 10:30AM

Right, about 30 seconds would be my guess. That should be plenty long enough to make a couple revolutions around the rod.

The biggest problem with 811 isn't just age, but random inconsistency from batch to batch. You can get 2 new bottles and they'll be different. Generally, you can thin the thicker batches about 10% to 15% and they'll work really well. I've just seen too many guys overthin the stuff and then wonder why they got so many dark spots on their wraps - it's because they were putting mostly alcohol or water on the wraps instead of the solids in the CP. If you can thin if half and half and still get good results, good for you. But that can sometimes come back to bite you in the butt, with any CP.

When I"ve gotten a bottle of overly thick 811, I just use solvent alcohol and thin it by about 10%.

Something better is supposedly coming on the market in a few months. From what I understand, it will retain color as well or better than 811 but will be thinner at the start and offer better consistency in its viscosity than the 811 does. I've got my fingers crossed but fully expect to see it on the market in a couple months. We're learning a lot more about this stuff and where it all actually comes from. The makers do a lot better when they understand what it's being used for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2005 10:35AM by Tom Kirkman.

Date: October 05, 2005 11:22AM

Tom ,I think it's important to state that you can only do 1 guide at a time because of the fast drying time .This is the mistake I made . I did all 12 guides , and by the time I got back to the first guide which was probably 4or 5 minutes the cp had already dried . I had flooded the wrap waited too long to clean up the excess, making a gel form on the wrapping. The gel being the cp thickening. This is not moveable with a brush and no excess can be picked up.I'm talking only about 811cp.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: October 08, 2005 04:03PM

TEST POST - WILL IT WORK , OR IS "INTERNAL SERVER ERROR" STILL PERSISTING? -CLIFF HALL+++ cmkmhall@ufl.edu ... 16:10 10-08-05 USING NETSCAPE 7.1

IF THIS REPLY IS READABLE, THEN MY PROBLEM IS UNIQUE TO THREAD Permagloss ... by Glen Hendricks ... 10/07/05 ... 01:34PM ... [www.rodbuilding.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster