I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help needed removing china marker residue
Posted by: Paul Erwin (---.houston-01-02rs.tx.dial-access.att.net)
Date: April 26, 2002 08:49PM

I just wrapped a rod and used a china marker to mark the guide positions. I have tried both alcohol and acetone but I can't get the china marker residue off the blank. Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help needed removing china marker residue
Posted by: Tim Lombardi (---.du.volcano.net)
Date: April 26, 2002 11:09PM

Hi Paul

I use a little liquid soap and rinse with water ,it works for me.

Good luck Tim

P.S. only when you are done and finisher is complete.

Re: Help needed removing china marker residue
Posted by: Pat Doyle (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 27, 2002 12:18AM

Hi Paul: Not that this will help with the current problem, but I use a gel pen to mark locations, which rubs off very easily when changing the positions. I'm surprised that the alcohol didn't work. I'm sure that you'll get the answer you're looking for. Best regards, Pat Doyle

China Marker
Posted by: Joel Goyette (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 27, 2002 01:11AM

I have noticed that the china marker doesn't rub off too well with the thinners and other liquids, but a friction source works best. I usually rub it off with my finger if it's in an open area, or use a tissue or rag with a pen inside to make a fine point if i need to get into a tight space. Another tip is to use a black china marker for your more obvious marks. This will allow you to see your marks if you look at a different angle, but wont ruin the wrap if you don't get some of it off like the yellow might do. Good luck.

Joel Goyette

Re: China Marker
Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 27, 2002 02:20AM

If your blank is smooth (gloss finish) take a peice of thread and shoeshine it over the china marker and it will come right off.

Posted by: Charles DeGroot (---.trailnet.com)
Date: April 27, 2002 08:09AM

I have never encountered problems with acetone on the tip of a cotton swab. The swab allows you to get under guides and apply some pressure, and the marker lifts right off of both matte and glossy blanks. Perhaps you should switch brands of china marker.

Also, how long have the china marks been sitting on your blank? I don't know what the stuff is made of, but time may be a factor here.

If worst comes to worst, you can paint the rod white (just joking, of course).

Good luck,
Charles DeGroot

Posted by: Jim Sawyer (---.tci.com)
Date: April 27, 2002 10:17AM

Hmmm - I have not had that problem with china marker - I just make a small mark with it - then after i finish the wraps, I just take a small toothpickand wrap kleenex around it and remove the china marker mark - Just dry - no solvents,etc.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: April 27, 2002 12:00PM

A pencil eraser will sometimes remove them easily.

Posted by: Hugh Miller (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 27, 2002 10:36PM

Use Goo Gone.

Posted by: Greg Pennell (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 28, 2002 10:38PM

Lacquer thinner on a cotton swab has always worked for me. I keep a small plastic bottle to use as a degreasing agent prior to writing my inscriptions on the rod, and for cleaning brushes.

Greg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster