I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Outcast Blanks
Posted by: Ron Snell (---.dsl.perigee.net)
Date: October 03, 2005 03:35PM

I know this might be a long shot but I'm trying to find and Outcast Blank GSC-1625 with the cameleon finish that someone might have sitting in a corner. I understand these blanks have not been run in some time but I thought it might be worth asking.

Thanks,
Ron

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Outcast Blanks
Posted by: Billy Vivona (4.43.114.---)
Date: October 03, 2005 03:40PM

There is a Bicycle shop in Hawaii where they may have these. Seriously.

Posted by: Lynn Huffman (24.199.174.---)
Date: October 03, 2005 03:56PM

Try Wayne Folkes in Virginia Beach, VA. or Tres Irby at Hatteras Outfitters in Richmond,VA. If any sponsors have them, my apologies.

Date: October 03, 2005 04:05PM

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 03, 2005 04:18PM

Ken Kimura stopped having these made but at one time I thought someone else was bringing a similar line from the same factory. I had several at one time but only a couple left and have kept those for myself. Put your request up on the buy/sell page and see what happens.

Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 03, 2005 04:57PM

They're now called "BigCatch" and I believe are only available in black. If you need a contact for Wayne or Tres let me know.

Posted by: Ron Snell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 03, 2005 05:50PM

I appreciate everyone's help concerning this. I have made a few calls and sent a few emails and who knows matbe I'll get lucky. Tres to does have the Big Catch and Clyde you're right he only has black, unfortunatley I have my mind set on the camellieon, sp? finish.

Thanks Again,
Ron

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 03, 2005 07:46PM

Ron - look on teh photo board, both the new one and the old one - John Minitullo used Chameleon Auto body paint and I believe this is probably the same color used in the Outcast blanks. I saw the blank at my house, it changes colors based on teh angle to look at the rod, very cool stuff.

Posted by: Jim (J.AkuHed) Racela (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: October 03, 2005 10:48PM

Howzit Ron! I got your email and will call my dealer in Hawaii to see if he still has this model!

Date: October 04, 2005 08:19AM

Billy, I checked into that paint myself and the price is very overwhelming, I won't to say it was in the neighborhood of $400.00 a quart. Jim I received your email and will definetly try that route. Once again, this is what makes this board so great is the willingess for follow builders to help one another. Thanks again to everyone for their information.

Sincerly,
Ron

Date: October 04, 2005 10:20AM

Ron - take a look at Lance Dupre's post a few up from yours. The stuff John & Mike McGiveney used was the Createx stuff. $20 per can, I think, and very durable. I know john has painted a couple of blanks and had no problems with peeling & such, and he fishes hard, and in areas where rods take a beating (primarily Long Island jetties) He also builds for a surf club, and probably has built rods painted with this stuff for club members - he was very confidant it holds up just fine.

Mike, built a Hot Pink blank, which you can see in his Photo Album here. He had some fancy paintgun for that project, but I'm not sure of the paint he used. It wasn't very expenseive compared to your $400 per quart.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.144.239.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 04, 2005 01:28PM

Maybe this will help [www.plasti-kote.com]

Date: October 04, 2005 02:00PM

Bill, I checked into the paint from Plasti Kote and was able to order it from a local Carquest, I will keep you posted on how it works after a little experimenting. Billy, I misquoted myself on the paint in an earlier email, the price is right but thats for an automotive grade paint. Thanks again for the information, I don't know I even need this, I simply think its looks pretty cool.

Ron

Date: October 04, 2005 02:11PM

Ron - good luck with your project, I hope to hear it turns out the way you want it to.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.144.128.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 04, 2005 11:28PM

yes keep us informed with pictures.
I have tried the Duplcolor paint, but found it was more expensive, had a larger spray patern ( wasted spray ) and did not seem to have much paint pigment .
The Plasti-kote ya can get the colors in what's called base coat very little clear, less paint build up. Then put your own clear on. Like it a lot better.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster